Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

4Ad wrote: »
    Sligo gay lad WAY too crude..

Potty mouth on him, no filter, disgusting , in appropriate use of language on a 1st date and in front of the other punters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I hope these 2 hit it off.

booooooooooooooooooooooom

lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Aw this episode warmed my wee heart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The Ukulele would be up there with smoking for me.

• Advertisement

omg hughie from big brother hahaha
    you're nothing but a trouble riser! Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭A-Train

Delighted the nice couple are dating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

At a time when things are so tough, that was good the soul!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Next week looks...um...interesting!

Seems like louder personalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Orange hands was the stuff of nightmares. Like a tango ad she was. And of course let's him pay then let's him answer and then says no like a right bimbo.

Rory from Sligo was disgusting. I like the odd innuendo but everything that came out of his mouth was just foul.

Everyone else was lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭johnire

Absolutely not my friend..... I'm gay and I totally agree with you. I was absolutely mortified watching that. Ashamed is an understatement.
    And yet to say so leaves you open to charges of homophobia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

The dark skinned girl is very pretty.

If you look at her hands i think it's all fake tan. Been mentioned a few times already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I agree that the lad from Sligo was a bit too much, but in his defence he seemed like an older generation of gay man who’s yet to catch up to the fact that it’s accepted and not in any way remarkable in 2021. Reminds me of a Julian Clary or Dale Winton back when being openly gay was a statement because there was still a stigma around it so they’d almost beat you over the head with cheeky innuendos to both charm and demand attention/acknowledgement from people. And when you hear your man’s story of growing up gay in a small town during that era, it makes sense that he’d be of that ilk.

I wouldn’t like to get stuck having a drink with him like, but I can empathise and see that he probably isn’t a bad guy and means no harm. Just a bit dated is all. But yeah there’s a reason that kinda carry on became frowned upon even within the LGBT community and it sticks out like a sore thumb in 2021.

If you look at her hands i think it's all fake tan. Been mentioned a few times already.

The girl from the Congo. She's black, dark skinned. Very naturally dark from her heritage. The other one was blonde and pale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

The girl from the Congo. She's black, dark skinned. Very naturally dark from her heritage. The other one was blonde and pale.

He knew...he was extracting the urine

He knew...he was extracting the urine

Oh right. I'm slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Kudos to the show for putting on a good show during Covid. Could have easily kicked to touch for a year but outside of the obvious lack of hugging, kissing or exciting post-date stories, I think they did a great job of injecting a little joy in the TV schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

leggo wrote: »
    I agree that the lad from Sligo was a bit too much, but in his defence he seemed like an older generation of gay man who’s yet to catch up to the fact that it’s accepted and not in any way remarkable in 2021. Reminds me of a Julian Clary or Dale Winton back when being openly gay was a statement because there was still a stigma around it so they’d almost beat you over the head with cheeky innuendos to both charm and demand attention/acknowledgement from people. And when you hear your man’s story of growing up gay in a small town during that era, it makes sense that he’d be of that ilk.

I wouldn’t like to get stuck having a drink with him like, but I can empathise and see that he probably isn’t a bad guy and means no harm. Just a bit dated is all. But yeah there’s a reason that kinda carry on became frowned upon even within the LGBT community and it sticks out like a sore thumb in 2021.

Am friends with a few gay guys and out of say 5 of them 3 would be similar to him

Every opportunity for a sexual innuendo comment is taken, even if it has to be awkwardly forced into the conversation

It gets boring and repetitive to be honest and what’s annoying is I know those guys have other sides to their personality but they rely back on the “adult humour” at every opportunity. Pity really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Josey569

I love when you see such a good couple from first dates, it almost warms the soul in a way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Just watched it on the player there. Let out a genuinely loud cheer when the photo of Shane and Avril dating came up at the end. Thought (as we all did), that she was stunning and both really nice.

Black lady was very pretty as well, her date looked nice, pity it didn't work out with meeting up, maybe they'll meet once COVID is sorted.

Thought the Kerry/Galway gay lad was nice, the Sligo fella just wasn't his type, totally different personality to him. Sligo lad was was too crude, but I've sympathy for him. I know Sligo well, and it would have been a kip to grow up in as a gay lad in the 80's. His parents not speaking to him for 4 years is tough to hear.

The two Dubs; she was annoying, possibly nervous, but there's plenty of lads into her type. I liked him; as he said he could have gone a different route in life, but he managed to stay on the straight and narrow. Not easy. When he came on I knew he was the type who's a headwrecker on the booze, glad to see he gave it up. Hope he stays off it and finds someone for himself.

• Advertisement

Josey569 wrote: »
    I love when you see such a good couple from first dates, it almost warms the soul in a way

It definitely does..It makes me believe in love again..
    I found myself just smiling watching it..

The black girl was lovely, as was the other one with her man who had the accident..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just out of interest how did you know when you saw him that he was the type of a “head wrecker” on booze?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Just catching up now. Great to have it back..

Was kinda funny the way the featured dates were either end of a gigantic table, but all the background dates were at normal small tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭testtech05

Still Ill wrote: »
    Just catching up now. Great to have it back..

Was kinda funny the way the featured dates were either end of a gigantic table, but all the background dates were at normal small tables.

We noticed that aswell about the dates, didn't really make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Just out of interest how did you know when you saw him that he was the type of a “head wrecker” on booze?

His total overall demeanour. I grew up with, went to school with, shared houses with, worked with and I still know a few lads like him. Always a bit fidgety, some sort of look in their eyes. The moment he said "I'm mental", that was it, I knew what he was like.

Usually sound lads outside of booze and drugs, almost always great lads to work on a job with, but a total PITA to go anywhere at night with. The story of the flight to Denmark I could have told myself how it started and ended out.

I believe it's a form of 'chemical imbalance' (I don't know the medical term) in the person that they are born with, alcohol is the switch that gets them going and the consequences are often disastrous. Think a Paul Gascoigne type.

Like I said, I respect the lad and the way he managed to not go down a slippery slope, best thing for him now is to stay off the booze entirely. I know a couple of fellas like him who don't drink, and they'll say it's sometimes very tough, but the best thing they've ever done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Background daters were all couples who are living together - they said at the start I think.

Background daters were all couples who are living together - they said at the start I think.

Astonishing the power of the modern day curtain twitcher. Production teams actually have to future proof the outragers.

I am not looking forward to the day they go for poor Anteo. He is toooooo nice and tidy for my liking. Any Maitre D's I ever met were wotious bitches and crippling pains in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I punched the air like Ireland had just scored when they said that Shane and Avril were now dating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

testtech05 wrote: »
    We noticed that aswell about the dates, didn't really make sense.

You can apply to be on the show as background fillers...they are all family or RL couples... not subjects of the dates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Astonishing the power of the modern day curtain twitcher. Production teams actually have to future proof the outragers.

I am not looking forward to the day they go for poor Anteo. He is toooooo nice and tidy for my liking. Any Maitre D's I ever met were wotious bitches and crippling pains in the hole.

I dunno about anyone else but you've lost me there sunshine! What's this and why did you reply to my post like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭johnire

As regards growing up as a gay lad in Sligo in the 80s it was no better nor no worse than anywhere else in Ireland at that time so it's very unfair to pick on Sligo.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Just watched it on the player there. Let out a genuinely loud cheer when the photo of Shane and Avril dating came up at the end. Thought (as we all did), that she was stunning and both really nice.

Black lady was very pretty as well, her date looked nice, pity it didn't work out with meeting up, maybe they'll meet once COVID is sorted.

Thought the Kerry/Galway gay lad was nice, the Sligo fella just wasn't his type, totally different personality to him. Sligo lad was was too crude, but I've sympathy for him. I know Sligo well, and it would have been a kip to grow up in as a gay lad in the 80's. His parents not speaking to him for 4 years is tough to hear.

The two Dubs; she was annoying, possibly nervous, but there's plenty of lads into her type. I liked him; as he said he could have gone a different route in life, but he managed to stay on the straight and narrow. Not easy. When he came on I knew he was the type who's a headwrecker on the booze, glad to see he gave it up. Hope he stays off it and finds someone for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭testtech05

You can apply to be on the show as background fillers...they are all family or RL couples... not subjects of the dates

Oh right, thanks I didn't know that. I have a friend who was on the show a couple of years back but his date wasn't one which featured in an episode they were just one of the background couples.
    Do you know, is this a new thing due to restrictions or has there always been some of these RL couples etc included?

I dunno about anyone else but you've lost me there sunshine! What's this and why did you reply to my post like this?

I was alluding to the same household guests otherwise frequenting the restaurant. It would no doubt raise a few eyebrows with the haters if it came to light that the show was not following lockdown rules, I have seen outrages over less.

There was nothing personal in my comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I was alluding to the same household guests otherwise frequenting the restaurant. It would no doubt raise a few eyebrows with the haters if it came to light that the show was not following lockdown rules, I have seen outrages over less.

There was nothing personal in my comment.

No one here inferred anything about breaking lockdown rules so not sure why you've gone off on your mini rant!

Anyways, back on topic. I know everyone is giving out about the tan hands woman, but I thought the guy she was with was a bit of a dose as well. Definitely had the 'mad lad' vibe about him. Almost seemed proud of the fact that he's "mental" and had some wild nights on the drink.

The Sligo lad was way over the top and just pure cringe. Hard to believe that anyone goes on like that in real life. You'd expect it from a bad stand-up act or something. The guy he was on a date with seemed nice enough, and must have the patience of a saint!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Anyone else turn off when the same sex couples are on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    No....why?...bizarre thing to say imo.

The fella this week was crude, but not all same sex couples are like that believe it or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Yintang

Why did the girl with the fake tan hands constantly keep making reference to her date paying for women's services?... found that really cringey.
    Loved that Shane and Avril (?) got together. She looks/sounds really familiar for sure.

Yintang wrote: »
    Why did the girl with the fake tan hands constantly keep making reference to her date paying for women's services?... found that really cringey.
    Loved that Shane and Avril (?) got together. She looks/sounds really familiar for sure.
    She was happy for him to pay and also happy for him to go first in the chat after (when she would say no to another date) pretty mean tbh
    Shane and Avril both absolutely lovely! So glad they are dating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

gmisk wrote: »
    She was happy for him to pay and also happy for him to go first in the chat after (when she would say no to another date).
    Shane and Avril both absolutely lovely! So glad they are dating.

Wonder if they still are?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

:rolleyes:

Amy from this week's show is on the Late Late now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

:rolleyes:

They bore me. Sorry

Amy from this week's show is on the Late Late now.

She definitely came across better on lls than she did last night, which isn't saying much really. Theres no way of buttering it up.....that letting him pay before he got 'friendzoned" is fairly loe

They bore me. Sorry
    The site of gay people on tv bore you so much you turn over/off your tv?...
    Bizarre thing to say....imo...can you honestly not see how odd that is?

I am not really a fan of some straight couples on the show but I don't turn over whenever I see them based on their sexuality....

gmisk wrote: »
    The site of gay people on tv bore you so much you turn over/off your tv?...
    Bizarre thing to say....imo...can you honestly not see how odd that is?

I am not really a fan of some straight couples on the show but I don't turn over whenever I see them based on their sexuality....

Can't say what he really wants to say so he just goes with "boring".

Can't say what he really wants to say so he just goes with "boring".
    Yeh I am getting that vibe alright...

Bizarre to lump all gay people together.
    Not as if you would do it with all straight people.

Anyway, I didn't think Amy was actually that bad on the show, but she lost me when she let him pay in full when she'd no intention of seeing him again.

Thought the Cork guy and black girl were actually quite sweet but suspected as much that it wouldn't really go anywhere.

Unfortunately have to agree with most of what was said about the gay guy from Sligo. References to swallowing and "taking to up the arse" are all a bit much for a first date.

Nice that it worked out for the Meath guy and his date after an awkward start. Not sure exactly when the episode was filmed but hopefully they're still seeing each other.

Anyway, I didn't think Amy was actually that bad on the show, but she lost me when she let him pay in full when she'd no intention of seeing him again.

Thought the Cork guy and black girl were actually quite sweet but suspected as much that it wouldn't really go anywhere.

Unfortunately have to agree with most of what was said about the gay guy from Sligo. References to swallowing and "taking to up the arse" are all a bit much for a first date.

Nice that it worked out for the Meath guy and his date after an awkward start. Not sure exactly when the episode was filmed but hopefully they're still seeing each other.
    I think with Amy I think it's more the fact she didn't even offer to split it....which it was compounded by the fact she let him say yes to a second date after?!? No need for that at all.

Cork guy and black girl were really nice people definitely but I didn't see that spark.

The crude gay guy I wasn't a fan off at all, the guy he was with seemed alright he did keep mentioning the acting thing a lot which got kind of annoying.

The couple that it said were dating were both absolutely lovely, really nice warm open people.
    You could see how delighted the guys sister was when he walked out. Lovely stuff.

Generally prefer the irish version to uk one, but unfortunately some more of the reality tv wannabes are sneaking into the irish version now.
    I would just prefer kinda genuine normal down to earth people on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

jojofizzio wrote: »
    She looks like Deirdre o’kane

She sounded remarkably like her as well. Could she be a younger sister maybe?

• Advertisement
Advertisement