Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Christ the awkwardness when the Italian got turned down was wince-inducing

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I didn't think she was all that hot, she was fair but I think if you took away the tats (a big if, to be fair) he was actually better looking, and I don't even like men. I think non Irish women sometimes get kicked up a few notches in the ratings just by virtue of not having to use fake tan!

I think the extra long tables makes it a little bit harder for the people to connect and also makes for less hilarious awkward moments.

Hopefully I won't see Italian guy's smile in my dreams tonight, I need sleep.

Non-Irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Your one wanted an alpha male who commands a room=bent over for her twenties,she ll prob beg for the that Italian dude when she hits the wall haha

She seemed like a nice enough girl. She was also pretty attractive. She won’t need to ‘beg’ for anything.

Some strange mindsets out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Does nobody apply for this? I see next week they have someone else from last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

MattS1 wrote: »
    No I'm saying it's pretty **** that she can get away with saying that alpha stuff whereas if a guy said something to that affect in reverse, everyone would be going mad

Not on a dating show , she didn't strike me as the shrill feminist type at all

Hamachi wrote: »
    She seemed like a nice enough girl. She was also pretty attractive. She won’t need to ‘beg’ for anything.

She was lovely, he was just very odd

Just a quick question, and no specifics... but does anyone here actually know any of the people going on dates on this show?

My other half knew the gay guy from Kerry who was on a date with the guy from Sligo a few weeks ago

His date had a pretty foul mouth if you recall?

She knows two others from Galway who were on it in previous seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

A bit harsh on Tipp girl if you ask me.
    She was nice. Covid had completely screwed up her plans for travelling, etc. I feel for her.
    She engaged well with him throughout even though there was clearly no spark, made an effort to pay half, she went first when asked about seeing each other, she said be friends but I think it was lost in translation.
    She did everything right in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    My other half knew the gay guy from Kerry who was on a date with the guy from Sligo a few weeks ago

His date had a pretty foul mouth if you recall?

She knows two others from Galway who were on it in previous seasons

Yeah, I'd know Tim quite well, he came across as he would in RL, which is all you can ask for in th we types of shows....a 90 minute meal cut down to 6 mins could make somebody look awful and not at all like their actual self

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The Italian lad didn't stand a chance- he doesn't come across a fella who listens to the 2 Johnnies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭gidget

There’s an advert on at the moment on Virgin Media promoting their new show Eating with the Enemy and I believe I’ve just spotted Hughie Maughan from last weeks episode as one of the guests on that as well (hair’s all shaved but sure it’s him).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Is the UK version plagued by zombies from a few years ago trying to resurrect their careers?

The likes of hughie and that twat from Tallafornia that was on it last year (or maybe the year before) just ruin the show I think. I always feel sorry for the dates as well as they probably feel like they're being made a fool of.

The Scottish guy definitely knew who Hughie was too and I feel like that was part of the reason he was standoffish. When he enquired of Hughies accent he knew well he was a traveller, was a horrible judgey sneaky snipe to be honest.

This show works best by far when it's just ordinary day to day people, producer "plants" just ruin it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Such is the life for introverted guys in this country. It didn't help he wasn't attractive though. Needs to get rid of the braces and hit the gym and run low inhibition Russian mafia bad boy game. That's his escape out of his inceldom. Ideally he should combine it with his own personality for optimal results.

Everyone is entitled to their preferences though. She could have been worse. His literal translation and complete lack of awareness about "better if we were just friends" was beyond cringeworthy and indicative of his personality. Its tough having a disorder which impairs social funcitoning; society is brutal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Such is the life for introverted guys in this country. It didn't help he wasn't attractive though. Needs to get rid of the braces and hit the gym and run low inhibition Russian mafia bad boy game. That's his escape out of his inceldom. Ideally he should combine it with his own personality for optimal results.

Everyone is entitled to their preferences though. She could have been worse. His literal translation and complete lack of awareness about "better if we were just friends" was beyond cringeworthy and indicative of his personality. Its tough having a disorder which impairs social funcitoning; society is brutal.

Can we layoff with the diagnosing and "incel" bullsh*te please.

Btw I thought he was a very attractive guy, though I do agree the braces are a bit of a turnoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Italian stallion was far too intense. Agreed I thought that his date did nothing wrong. It was funny him shooting down the friends thing, I guess the language barrier made that more awkward. He could have laughed it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,310 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Italian stallion was far too intense. Agreed I thought that his date did nothing wrong. It was funny him shooting down the friends thing, I guess the language barrier made that more awkward. He could have laughed it off.
    He did himself no favours by talking himself down, telling her he wasn't a kind person.
    That was enough of a red flag for me.
    He came across as cold and unemotional.
    Tara did well to keep the conversation flowing and remain engaged after that.

To thine own self be true

He did himself no favours by talking himself down, telling her he wasn't a kind person.
    That was enough of a red flag for me.
    He came across as cold and unemotional.
    Tara did well to keep the conversation flowing and remain engaged after that.

That was bizarre. All part of his "set expectations low and you won't be disappointed" mantra. "Don't jinx it!". "I expected this".

He was very glass half empty. She deserved way better but was very respectable. Imagine he'd gotten the Dub obsessed with prostitutes or even the other tipp girl who ended up with the paramedic. They'd have destroyed him.

When he said he wasn't a kind person my reaction was "Run quick girl, don't even wait"!
    If she had been leaving the restaurant on her own, I'd have been worried for her safety to be honest!

They cut away just as he was walking intensely towards a bicycle. I'd say he made sh!t of that poor bike :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Kaleb Quick Handshake

They cut away just as he was walking intensely towards a bicycle. I'd say he made sh!t of that poor bike :pac:

Was the only riding he was doing that night

• Advertisement

What did the Italian guy say about not been able to be friends with her?
    Was it something about him not been on any social media?
    I couldn't get the gist of that part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What did the Italian guy say about not been able to be friends with her?
    Was it something about him not been on any social media?
    I couldn't get the gist of that part.

I think he said something about living on the opposite side of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I thought they both lived in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭lucalux

Only saw a clip of it, but I think he said he had no social networks, so I took that to mean Instagram or Facebook or such
    So it would be texts/phonecalls or email if they were to keep in touch

He was very glass half empty. She deserved way better but was very respectable. Imagine he'd gotten the Dub obsessed with prostitutes or even the other tipp girl who ended up with the paramedic. They'd have destroyed him.

Agreed; she was very respectful to him and exited the situation with her head held high.

Like I said, I don’t think the Italian guy is awful. The whole ‘I’m blunt and unkind’ spiel is a defense mechanism. Hopefully, he learns from the experience to work on his social skills a little and to try not to take life too seriously. I feel a bit bad for him, because I know a very similar character, who is very decent and honest, under the socially awkward exterior.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭pmurphy00

the blonde girl was fab, great style too! i'd say she said alpha just to say she was looking for someone different.
    it'd say she worked hard for the conversations she got.

don't imagine she'll have any trouble meeting someone. but who knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

.anon. wrote: »
    For a start, he's a myth because the whole notion of alpha and beta males is an absolute fiction and she's a bit of an idiot for using the term. I think we all know what she meant though. She wants someone as "out there" as herself. That's if we're defining "out there" as someone who won't be afraid to make a fool of himself dancing to the Hucklebuck with her tipsy mother at their massive wedding in some bland midlands hotel, and who'll start his speech with the words "My wife and I..." amid much hilarity and whooping. He'll also use phrases like "happy out" and "happy days" whenever something good happens.

Don’t forget another one which is creeping into slang here

“Oh my days....”

lucalux wrote: »
    Only saw a clip of it, but I think he said he had no social networks, so I took that to mean Instagram or Facebook or such
    So it would be texts/phonecalls or email if they were to keep in touch

he said that as well but i'm pretty sure he said he lived on the other side of the country from her.

he said that as well but i'm pretty sure he said he lived on the other side of the country from her.

Limerick and Tipp apparently but he said "How can two people that live across country be friends, just talk once in a while.... "

lucalux wrote: »
    Limerick and Tipp apparently but he said "How can two people that live across country be friends, just talk once in a while.... "

I'm glad I didnt imagine that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I thought the Tipp girl was lovely. It was obvious from the start that they were a terrible match and I assume she quickly realised this herself. At least she had the decency to insist on saying yes/no first. She was a class act.

The Italian guy didn't do himself any favours to be honest. Constantly talking yourself down is a terrible impression to give on a first date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

it is mad how some people can get so invested in 1 date that lasted 1 hour. The way he reacted was as if she dumped him after a long relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Hamachi wrote: »

Note I said "hit the wall."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I thought the Tipp girl was lovely. It was obvious from the start that they were a terrible match and I assume she quickly realised this herself. At least she had the decency to insist on saying yes/no first. She was a class act.

The Italian guy didn't do himself any favours to be honest. Constantly talking yourself down is a terrible impression to give on a first date.

Maybe we should normalise that though since this is probably how the relationship will go. It's not your best qualities that define a relationship but the tolerance of your worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Just a quick question, and no specifics... but does anyone here actually know any of the people going on dates on this show?

I knew Jason from last nights episode a few years ago and funnily enough I walked passed the Italian guy in the street this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was sitting down in Stephens Green yesterday enjoying the sunshine and a punk with mad spiked hair came flying through on a skateboard. Then last night I saw the same lad is in this series

Note I said "hit the wall."

I noted it. I still think you’re wrong and still believe it’s an odd comment to pass on a perfectly nice woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

This thread seems very harsh to the Italian guy. I thought he was funny and interesting, very open and honest too much even, and very engaging. His reaction at the end wasn’t great, again too honest and delivery was poorly executed.
    Lucky for him he doesn’t do social media so won’t read this. Shame they matched him up with a stunner with such high demands who had her mind made up the second he opened his mouth, no doubt she will bag herself a Tipp hurler now that she is back living there and a little famous.

Don’t forget another one which is creeping into slang here

“Oh my days....”

I might be alone, but I have never heard that.
    This thread seems very harsh to the Italian guy. I thought he was funny and interesting, very open and honest too much even, and very engaging. His reaction at the end wasn’t great, again too honest and delivery was poorly executed.
    Lucky for him he doesn’t do social media so won’t read this. Shame they matched him up with a stunner with such high demands who had her mind made up the second he opened his mouth, no doubt she will bag herself a Tipp hurler now that she is back living there and a little famous.

She's living in Dublin though and probably more likely to bag herself an Aussie the way she was talking. She didn't strike me as the stereotype country girl at all. She was living in Vietnam until Covid hit didn't she say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

A bit harsh on Tipp girl if you ask me.
    She was nice. Covid had completely screwed up her plans for travelling, etc. I feel for her.
    She engaged well with him throughout even though there was clearly no spark, made an effort to pay half, she went first when asked about seeing each other, she said be friends but I think it was lost in translation.
    She did everything right in my book.

Well said, she was charming and did her best to engage him. He could have been a bit more gracious at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Ah now I think that's fairly harsh on the girl.

Go to the personal/relationship issues forums and you'll find loads of people offering the same advice " if/when someone tells you who they are, listen to them" ie don't ignore the massive glaring red flags.

On a first date and someone says "I'm not a kind person" what the hell are you supposed to do with that? I get that some people like the "challenge" but jesus!!

To be fair to the girl she came across very warm and chatty, another girl the date would be silence after that.

Posters here are latching on to her use of "alpha male" and running her down over that. Personally I think it was her polite way of saying she didn't want a challenge and "fixxer up'er" . Someone with a bit more confidence and not doom and gloom.

In all fairness whatever personality type you are , if the only thing you can bring to the table about yourself is negative traits and nothing positive , maybe for your own sake you should get some professional help, to help see the positives and build up your self esteem. I appreciate people have rough starts in life and may have had bad experiences etc. However, dumping a whole load of negativity on someone you just met , isn't the best dating tactic.

I just watched the video again.
    The poor Italian guy would want to choose his words better..I think he said giving her a 'poke' once in a while wouldn't work?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Don’t forget it’s always edited in such as way to provoke a certain reaction.

Don’t know anybody who went on first dates but know somebody who went on don’t tell the bride and regretted it - edited to make him look like an eejit and also he was told to repeat thing for the camera and asked very specific questions which were off camera and then answer was filmed :)

I just watched the video again.
    The poor Italian guy would want to choose his words better..I think he said giving her a 'poke' once in a while wouldn't work?!

Haha :D I'm pretty sure he said "talk once in a while" and that wouldnt work for him

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think the Italian lad saying he wasn't kind was a bit lost in translation. He clarifies after he is quite blunt and straight forward. I think he just means that it comes across rude and not that he actually is rude/not kind. I thought he was very intense at first but came out of his shell quite well as the date progressed. He was just too introverted for her. Nothing wrong with that on either part. Although his reaction to her saying they should be friends was very hard to watch. So awkward.

• Advertisement

I think the Italian lad saying he wasn't kind was a bit lost in translation. He clarifies after he is quite blunt and straight forward. I think he just means that it comes across rude and not that he actually is rude/not kind. I thought he was very intense at first but came out of his shell quite well as the date progressed. He was just too introverted for her. Nothing wrong with that on either part. Although his reaction to her saying they should be friends was very hard to watch. So awkward.

Yes, I think he was trying to get across that he was a shooter from the hip, probably no sugar coating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The girl from the North was sound, she had an amazing figure, fun too, even poundshop Macklemore was a fairly decent fella, the tattoos etc would put a lot of people off Id guess, the accent also wouldn't be for me, but the just clicked! Lovely to see.

The girl with the Italian guy deserved better. Something a tad odd about him I thought, why would he think he is horrible?!. She was really pretty and had a bit of chat, glad she insisted on going first at the chat afterwards, the bring along your mates thing is a bit odd.

The blonde girl after all her chat about insisting she won't let a man pay for her........let him pay the bill! Lol...what a surprise....glad she at least said yes after making him go first.

The gay lads were nice fellas, glad they clicked, it can be pretty tough and lonely being the only gay in the village so to speak. I thought the guy from county Antrim seemed a tad heartbroken still and kind of fragile. Also really nice to see a normal average couple of gay men versus camp crude OTT walking stereotypes from last few weeks!

Side note the food in the restaurant looks savage!
    I really miss eating out...I would nearly get a divorce to have a big plate of those chips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Oh I also really recommend teen first dates....all of it is on all4 it's very fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Nothing odd about people bringing mates along when they clearly explain at the start of the show that the background daters are "bubbled" with the ones on telly. Like yer man and his sister in week 1, Scots lad housemates last week, Tipp girls housemates this week.

Makes perfect sense.

My only gripe is they should bring them in before or after, not at the same time. Could be slightly intimidating for a first date if your date rocks in with their friends.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Nothing odd about people bringing mates along when they clearly explain at the start of the show that the background daters are "bubbled" with the ones on telly. Like yer man and his sister in week 1, Scots lad housemates last week, Tipp girls housemates this week.

Makes perfect sense.

My only gripe is they should bring them in before or after, not at the same time. Could be slightly intimidating for a first date if your date rocks in with their friends.
    Yes, it was clearly explained. It's for nothing more than contact tracing purposes/limited contacts.
    No entourage!

• Advertisement
Advertisement