Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

They'd be lucky to have you Kathleen.

Not sure if being sarcastic or not.:(

Worried I'd be like the PJ Gallagher character, the auld wan with the scarf being totally inappropriate.

I'd never be so lucky, Kitty-Kat.

But on the off chance...

don't forget your purse.

I don't have a purse or a bag. Google pay will do me.

I think sometimes I was not even meant to be a girl except for my interest in one thing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Not sure if being sarcastic or not.:(

Worried I'd be like the PJ Gallagher character, the auld wan with the scarf being totally inappropriate.

Absolutely not! I know from your posts that you're good fun, a fighter and I'd say a good partner material.

To thine own self be true

Absolutely not! I know from your posts that you're good fun, a fighter and I'd say a good partner material.

Thanks for what you said. That's really kind and means a lot.
    But! I'm actually quite old. I'm not girlie enough (don't dress up, don't wear makeup, am too much into sport, am quite a nerd really)

Still thinking of it. For the craic like. And who knows, it might lead to something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

But! I'm actually quite old. I'm not girlie enough (don't dress up, don't wear makeup, am too much into sport, am quite a nerd really)

Still thinking of it. For the craic like. And who knows, it might lead to something.
    But remember..there are plenty of mature men out there who would like a sporty and intelligent lady!
    That's the whole idea of them matching you with someone who is like you and who will have common interests and goals as you.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭dobman88

I dont know how old is "quite old" but there has been people on in their 70s and you dont come across as anywhere near that old.

From your posts on here, I would echo what was already said in that you seem like a normal person up for the craic that doesnt take herself too seriously. Personally I like a woman that isnt always covered in make up and dressed up. Just normal.

And the way you describe yourself there I'd imagine there is a fella out there only wishing he could take his missus to go and see a match.

If you're thinking about it for the craic, apply and if they contact you and you dont want to do it, you can always say no then. Best of luck whatever you choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

You're not that old! We've guessed your age before :D
    But seriously, this show seems to have quite a high success rate for the over 45's ....so definitely worth a shot if you're not shy about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You're not that old! We've guessed your age before :D
    But seriously, this show seems to have quite a high success rate for the over 45's ....so definitely worth a shot if you're not shy about it

ah here, since when is over 45 considered quite old?

ah here, since when is over 45 considered quite old?

Since my daughter told me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭WildWater

Go for it Kathleen. We’ll all be rooting for you on here anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The fella from Antrim reminded me of the guy out of American Psycho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Fanny Flutters is a good name for a band though. Ladies and gentlemen - but mostly the ladies - we give you....The Fanny Flutters!!! :pac:

A stripping band ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Fanny flutters?! Imagine the roles were reversed and Denny said, no sorry, I got no Penis Prickles on the date :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I'm fairly sure that the great intellectual of our time, Maura Higgins, brought "fanny flutters" into the mainstream when she mentioned it on Love Island.

Which tells you all you need to know about the Dublin one quoting that wagon.

Whilst I wasn’t gone on what the Dublin Dinny fella was wearing. I do think it was very him being himself.

Her 14yo daughter is doing well on tiktok with over 10,000 followers..... Jesus wept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

That is surprising that she got so much hate online, I know she didn't pay for her dinner but you would wonder why she upset those people? The seagull comment made me laugh though a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The gay couple seemed sound and well matched. Sometimes it feels like some of the gay daters go on it for their 5 mins of fame or something but these two seemed very genuine and was good to see them both say yes to a second date.

Denny and Niamh got on well but there was very little proper conversation. I feel like there have been a lot of couples where this happens. Usually they are Dubs and both outgoing but it feels like they are putting on an act just trying to come across as confident without ever really having much conversation.

The nervous couple from Wex/Tipp were lovely and a nice match. He was extremely nervous to start but by the end seemed a bit more comfortable. She seemed like a very kind and bubbly person.

I might be alone here but there was something about the girl from Enniscorthy that did my head in, maybe it was the accent but I found her very hard to listen to. She seemed really disappointed when he said no too!

• Advertisement

The gay couple seemed sound and well matched. Sometimes it feels like some of the gay daters go on it for their 5 mins of fame or something but these two seemed very genuine and was good to see them both say yes to a second date.

Denny and Niamh got on well but there was very little proper conversation. I feel like there have been a lot of couples where this happens. Usually they are Dubs and both outgoing but it feels like they are putting on an act just trying to come across as confident without ever really having much conversation.

The nervous couple from Wex/Tipp were lovely and a nice match. He was extremely nervous to start but by the end seemed a bit more comfortable. She seemed like a very kind and bubbly person.

I might be alone here but there was something about the girl from Enniscorthy that did my head in, maybe it was the accent but I found her very hard to listen to. She seemed really disappointed when he said no too!

Disappointed?... She looked as if he'd kicked her puppy while píssing in her cornflakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The gay fella from the north seemed really nice and normal....not sure about the suit. I thought his date was a bit up his own ass tbh. Didn't warm to him.

The nervous gardener guy was really nice bless him how nervous he was, brave to talk about his mental health. His date was lovely. Both really decent genuine sorts.

The ick woman...needs to grow up...fanny flutters...christ...seemed kinda picky I can see why she is single. She should have gone first if she was gonna say no. Her date was good craic but I would say he would wreck your head...hyper, the fact he has been single for so long as a bit of a red flag.

Joe was extremely handsome! Great teeth, I like the accent as well I have to say, a bit straight laced maybe. His date the lady who works in creche was really sweet, giggly and fun. They had a really nice easy connection, surprised he said no.

The gay couple were alright. The fella from Belfast scared me tough. I'm fairly sure the Tax man was in the media around the time of the marriage referendum.
    (Long term I don't know).

I was unsure what to make of the Dubs. I sort of liked him but she was very tough going. I think she wanted Conor Mcgregor.

The Wexford and Tipp guy got on but fairly well and had a good bit in common he looked terrified tough.

I could see why the London fella said no to the Wexford one. Even tough she was nice I just think he'd find her a tad wild for him.

The gay couple were alright. The fella from Belfast scared me tough. I'm fairly sure the Tax man was in the media around the time of the marriage referendum.
    (Long term I don't know).

I was unsure what to make of the Dubs. I sort of liked him but she was very tough going. I think she wanted Conor Mcgregor.

The Wexford and Tipp guy got on but fairly well and had a good bit in common he looked terrified tough.

I could see why the London fella said no to the Wexford one. Even tough she was nice I just think he'd find her a tad wild for him.

She turned up with her mother.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    She turned up with her mother.

Yes, I give you that she was just a bit bubbly. She'd melt my head.(I could have phrased it better)

Yes, I give you that she was just a bit bubbly. She'd melt my head.(I could have phrased it better)

Ah no I know what you mean, too chatty, I couldn't deal with that either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The moment he said no.

547596.PNG
    547598.PNG

fd1.PNG

fd2.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Think her mum was to her right.

Her 14yo daughter is doing well on tiktok with over 10,000 followers..... Jesus wept
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    That is surprising that she got so much hate online, I know she didn't pay for her dinner but you would wonder why she upset those people? The seagull comment made me laugh though a bit.

I'd say she herself wants fame, I don't see why anyone would troll her or her daughter

Did I hear Mateo say now we're sucking diesel, thinking of Hastings from Line of Duty :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Story time: so I’d throw up an auld tweet while First Dates comes on. When she said something about being mean to guys she likes, I tweeted that that’s the most Blanch sentence ever. Wasn’t even meant as an insult (I’d be conscious that people involved probably read these and they may not get a fair shake in the edit so I’d keep all tweets light), I grew up in Blanch myself so I’d get that kind of slagging humour. The next morning I woke up to find she’d vanity-searched herself and sent me a bit of a hostile tweet like “It was banter don’t overthink it”. Knowing she was a slagger, I wrote back saying, “Here I’m not the one vanity-searching at half 6 in the morning!” And she blocked me. :pac:

Before she did, though, I went onto her page and noticed two things:

1) Her bio was a contact email as if it was soliciting press enquiries.
    2) She’d done the same to every single person who’d loosely mentioned her. I didn’t see one tweet even remotely like what she’s describing there, and she seems to be digging for it.

Being honest, it seems like she’s one of these people trying to use the show for a bit of fame and trying to build a narrative that she’s getting some Caroline Flack-style victim of trolls. If I was to guess I’d say she thought she’d be doing the chat show circuit now talking about “the ick” and, when that didn’t work out, she went to plan B.

Whatever the case, I’d say her date will be just fine with how things worked out.

• Advertisement

leggo wrote: »
    Story time: so I’d throw up an auld tweet while First Dates comes on. When she said something about being mean to guys she likes, I tweeted that that’s the most Blanch sentence ever. Wasn’t even meant as an insult (I’d be conscious that people involved probably read these and they may not get a fair shake in the edit so I’d keep all tweets light), I grew up in Blanch myself so I’d get that kind of slagging humour. The next morning I woke up to find she’d vanity-searched herself and sent me a bit of a hostile tweet like “It was banter don’t overthink it”. Knowing she was a slagger, I wrote back saying, “Here I’m not the one vanity-searching at half 6 in the morning!” And she blocked me. :pac:

Before she did, though, I went onto her page and noticed two things:

1) Her bio was a contact email as if it was soliciting press enquiries.
    2) She’d done the same to every single person who’d loosely mentioned her. I didn’t see one tweet even remotely like what she’s describing there, and she seems to be digging for it.

Being honest, it seems like she’s one of these people trying to use the show for a bit of fame and trying to build a narrative that she’s getting some Caroline Flack-style victim of trolls. If I was to guess I’d say she thought she’d be doing the chat show circuit now talking about “the ick” and, when that didn’t work out, she went to plan B.

Whatever the case, I’d say her date will be just fine with how things worked out.

That's gas, saw your tweet and it came across as tongue in cheek.

She gets pìssy with negative tweets and does a tabloid interview telling people to be kind yet tweets this reply to a man about his wife. I'd say she is just a fame hunter and is a bit jealous that the daughter has 10k followers :pac:

https://twitter.com/niamhhogan1/status/1368732448662712330?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

anybody know what an "online communications executive" actually is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This is completely true. There is a gay 'type' that is drawn to being in the media and are often of the same personality type, just that big flamboyant and loud. Attention seeking even. Personally I found it refreshing we are properly 'represented' on this show for once because it was getting a little embarrassing there for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

anybody know what an "online communications executive" actually is?

Someone who tweets sh1te all day long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Had a gander on social media.

Denny dodged an almighty bullet.

ShagNastii wrote: »

He really did. she needs to grow up. also are many 40 year olds on tiktok? I thought that was just for kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Somewhat OT and I may be crucified for asking this question.

Does anybody else think that the UK version of ‘First Dates’ applies a higher level of physical attractiveness bar than its Irish equivalent?

The daters on the UK version are generally better dressed and better looking. I don’t think British people are more attractive than Irish people in the main. If anything, it’s the inverse. However, the couples featured on the UK show are almost invariably far better looking. Are they applying a more TV-friendly bar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Hamachi wrote: »

Does anybody else think that the UK version of ‘First Dates’ applies a higher level of physical attractiveness bar than its Irish equivalent?

The daters on the UK version are generally better dressed and better looking. I don’t think British people are more attractive than Irish people in the main. If anything, it’s the inverse. However, the couples featured on the UK show are almost invariably far better looking. Are they applying a more TV-friendly bar?

Can't really judge myself because I've never seen the show, but I figure it's because they have a much larger selection to choose from. Great Britain has a population of 65 million compared to the island of Ireland having about 7 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

I think she fancies herself as a bit of a "mom and bff" to her daughter.
    Probably delighted if someone says "omg you look more like sisters!"

When watching it on Thursday night my initial reaction was " hmmm, shes a bit of allright.....the lad did well there/ landed on his feet".
    With the benefit of hindsight, having watched her at the end of the date, seen her Soc media stuff.....I was way off..... that lad dodged A BIG BULLET

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Hamachi wrote: »

I think they go a lot more for physical attractiveness on the UK show as it sells it better to a certain audience. They have a pool of people at least 15 times bigger than the Irish one to pick from so they can do this if they want.

Having said that, watching the Irish version I'd be willing to date 7/10 women on it in my age range, on the UK version I'd be willing to date 4 or 5/10 of them. I'm talking about the impression I get from having watched them on the show, once we get to see a bit of their personalities.

I'd be looking at women in their 40's or 50's FWIW.

When watching it on Thursday night my initial reaction was " hmmm, shes a bit of allright.....the lad did well there/ landed on his feet".
    With the benefit of hindsight, having watched her at the end of the date, seen her Soc media stuff.....I was way off..... that lad dodged A BIG BULLET

She wants attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Would not believe 1 word about death threats :
    1. Why would anybody? If there was, it might not be related to the show....
    2. It sounds like somebody looking to promote themselves.
    3. If she gives the insults she seems to engage in, she is probably causing her own grief.

She was a dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Would not believe 1 word about death threats :
    1. Why would anybody? If there was, it might not be related to the show....
    2. It sounds like somebody looking to promote themselves.
    3. If she gives the insults she seems to engage in, she is probably causing her own grief.

She was a dose.

100%

On the show, I thought she was a bit of a geebag... She's exactly the type of Irish women I'd never go near.

Her date was a nice fella and seems to be a good bit of craic to head to the pub to watch the football with. He definitely dodged a bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Ben was given a raw deal by the editors on the preview when they showed him asking his date what the Troubles were. Made it look like he was an idiot when it turned out to be a joke. Bad form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

AllForIt wrote: »
    This is completely true. There is a gay 'type' that is drawn to being in the media and are often of the same personality type, just that big flamboyant and loud. Attention seeking even. Personally I found it refreshing we are properly 'represented' on this show for once because it was getting a little embarrassing there for a while.

A number of the gay guys this year seemed to be on it more for the “attention” than genuinely looking for a relationship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

A number of the gay guys this year seemed to be on it more for the “attention” than genuinely looking for a relationship.

I couldn't imagine anyone who ever appeared on the show thought going on TV was their only hope of finding love. It's probably half scripted like every other reality tv show.

Great entertainment though.

Niamh reminds me of one of Nualas the comedians, was on Fair City recently enough

Ben was given a raw deal by the editors on the preview when they showed him asking his date what the Troubles were. Made it look like he was an idiot when it turned out to be a joke. Bad form.

Nah, you're overthinking it. That's just the click bait, controversial promo to get people talking and watching.

Would have been bad form if they left it like that in the final edit but we could clearly see it was a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

dobman88 wrote: »
    Nah, you're overthinking it. That's just the click bait, controversial promo to get people talking and watching.

Would have been bad form if they left it like that in the final edit but we could clearly see it was a laugh.

I see your point, but after seeing that preview I turned to my GF and we said "ah Jesus, what a dope!" I wouldn't have been happy if that was me.

Advertisement