Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Why did he offer to pay?

Old school gent???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Why did he offer to pay?

Because it’s the gentleman thing but all she has to say....”No no...we will go 50/50”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

mojesius wrote: »
    It would be gas to see a man let a woman pay the bill, then say no to a next date.. and watch the inevitable furore on social media.

A woman has never offered to pay on first dates. fact. They might offer to pay their half but they never offer to pay for the 2 meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭pleh

Why did he offer to pay?

He's not mean he mature and that's what men of his generation do.
    Could guess for a man like that if a woman wanted to pay or contribute he wouldn't let her.
    A proper gentleman and a nice man.

Always goes halves on a first date.

If the woman is interested, you can fix up the second date.

If the woman is not interested, you haven't just been swindled.

Timeless advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Nobody (gay couples aside where it’s more the norm) is going to go Dutch on this unless it’s a ****show or the other person absolutely insists. Paying €60-70 is a small price to pay for the entire nation (beyond 3 people on a message board) not thinking you’re tight. Nobody judges the people who pay, just the people who don’t pay then say no, so take the hit and get to walk with your head held high.

If the cameras weren’t there? Different story I’d say. If I’m on a date typically, I’ll get the first round then see if they go to get the second. If they do, grandjob, they’re not scrounging and are mutually interested so I’ve no issue paying for the rest of the night whatever happens. If they don’t, then I’ve just bought the one round and got an early night, so win-win. But this is on TV so yeah it’s a totally different situation. Keep in mind you’ve no idea how it’ll be edited either so just be classy, take a hit if need be and write it off as the cost of a story you’ll always have to tell people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Delighted for Amy and Dennis. Think they are lovely together. I thought none of the others were good matches. They all wanted something opposite or were to far away like your man with the Romanian Women.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Very good episode tonight. All of them were likeable. Even Luke that some of ye are hard on, he was quirky and confident, and he reacted so well when she told him about her condition (which sounds horrendous). Only negative for me was the limerick wan who was back, she was just same as last time. Amy is stunningly beautiful, any guy will be lucky to be with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I never heard of VHL at first I thought she said VPL or DHL:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Just once I'd like to see the guy reaching for the bill, saying "let me get that for you" and sliding it along that long table towards the girl :pac: Or else doing that Mitch Hedberg joke: when the bill comes, immediately reach for your wallet, because inside is a note that says "say thanks"!

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I never heard of VHL at first I thought she said VPL or DHL:o

While I thought she was a very pleasant girl, it annoys me when they constantly get people that are bereaved, ill, or have some sad/tragic backstory on the show. It's supposed to be frothy entertainment, but I would imagine the people behind the scenes are quite cynical in their selection method, trying to pull at the heart-strings in such obvious ways. They are probably a bunch of RTE arseholes thinking they're making cutting edge TV, but to me it comes across exploitative. Fair enough, people apply to go on it, but last night we had depression, a serious medical condition, and bereavement for 3 out of the 4 dates.

I felt a bit bad for that young lad springing that girl's medical condition on him on a night out; how do they expect him to react? Do they want him to suddenly grow up and realise that life is not all jokes and playing with your hair? It would actually be very funny if somebody starts talking about their serious illness, and the date gets up and says "ah here, I didn't sign up for this sh*t" and walks out. Maybe that's just me being a bit of a prick. And in case anybody is thinking I've led a charmed life, I've had lots of **** happen over the years, not least my dad dying in hospital last year during Covid and not being able to say goodbye to him, but I don't want to see that stuff exploited on TV accompanied by some background tell-me-how-to-feel music.

Rant over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭tallaghtjoe

While I thought she was a very pleasant girl, it annoys me when they constantly get people that are bereaved, ill, or have some sad/tragic backstory on the show. It's supposed to be frothy entertainment, but I would imagine the people behind the scenes are quite cynical in their selection method, trying to pull at the heart-strings in such obvious ways. They are probably a bunch of RTE arseholes thinking they're making cutting edge TV, but to me it comes across exploitative. Fair enough, people apply to go on it, but last night we had depression, a serious medical condition, and bereavement for 3 out of the 4 dates.

I felt a bit bad for that young lad springing that girl's medical condition on him on a night out; how do they expect him to react? Do they want him to suddenly grow up and realise that life is not all jokes and playing with your hair? It would actually be very funny if somebody starts talking about their serious illness, and the date gets up and says "ah here, I didn't sign up for this sh*t" and walks out. Maybe that's just me being a bit of a prick. And in case anybody is thinking I've led a charmed life, I've had lots of **** happen over the years, not least my dad dying in hospital last year during Covid and not being able to say goodbye to him, but I don't want to see that stuff exploited on TV accompanied by some background tell-me-how-to-feel music.

Sorry to hear about your dad. Your not wrong about the sad story vibe going on. It has crept into all the reality programmes and you would sick and tired of them. Love one of these programmes without the sob story but I suppose thats what makes the programme and makes you change an opinion on a person.

Irish TV programmes, especially ones adapted from English ones, tend to be very “monkey see, monkey do”. So if they see the English one occasionally use sad stories, they’ll say “sad stories = good” and go into overload.

I don’t mind when it’s elderly people, because those dates are generally heartwarming and the nature of them being elderly and on this show means there’s a good chance you’re going to be dealing with widowed people (plus elderly people are more likely to wear their heart on their sleeves and not be trying to ‘keep it cool’ or anything like that that younger, more practised singles will). But yeah, I find the English show is much better at varying it, keeping the tone light for the most part and having dates rely on more fun dynamics than just mashing someone who’s a bit out there with someone with a sad story. Part of that will be down to having a bigger selection pool but I’ve no doubt that it’s becoming a crutch for producers here too given the frequency it’s happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭carrickbawn

Does anybody know how many more episodes are left in this series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Jesus that Luke lad was a vacuous black hole.

Was trying to create a hozier type persona and come across all deep and it was just so fake. She had two years on him and has had a real real life experience with being diagnosed with a life-long illness. I could tell from the off that she could see right through his crap.

I was surprised when the producers asked her what she thought of him as she said the conversation had flowed nicely and he seemed like a nice lad. I guess she was just trying not to embarrass him.

In the big reveal, when she said they were on different wave lengths I think she hit the nail on the head. He's younger and more immature and quite wrapped up in himself whereas she has had to grow up very quickly. In retrospect, I think they were quite a poorly matched date and I think he was set up for a fall to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Luke = tosser. He was so self-absorbed, his constant flicking the hair back, what a knob.
    His date was nice. It was a terrible match.

While Keith Wood and his date seemed to get on well, I would be a little bit scared if I went on a date and she was sitting there.

Limerick woman and Pat McEneaney got on well but it was never going to work - could they not ask "Do you want children" on the form and pair him with somebody accordingly?

Denis and Amy were lovely. They were both good craic and got on well.

It hasn't been a great series though - they should bring back Lorraine from a couple of years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

... could they not ask "Do you want children" on the form and pair him with somebody accordingly?
    You'd think important criteria like that would be a no-brainer!
    Surely the producers didn't decide to omit it, or ignore the responses in this case, for drama...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I was astounded that the Romanian lady and the oil and gas worker both said yes. Based on what we saw it looked like a very awkward date.

Also, didn't he say he was settled back in Ireland and finished with working abroad? Maybe the Gulf of Mexico thing was made up just to get out of a second date? Can't say I'd blame him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I was astounded that the Romanian lady and the oil and gas worker both said yes. Based on what we saw it looked like a very awkward date.

Also, didn't he say he was settled back in Ireland and finished with working abroad? Maybe the Gulf of Mexico thing was made up just to get out of a second date? Can't say I'd blame him.

I'd say he sent his CV out straight after he got home :)

• Advertisement

I'd say a fair few of the couples who 'match' in the studio then don't follow-up afterwards may be saying "yes" to avoid letting each other down on camera (which is sort of decent, in a way)

Maybe the Gulf of Mexico thing was made up just to get out of a second date? Can't say I'd blame him.

"I'll write you every day! 15 Yemen Road, Yemen."

I'd say he sent his CV out straight after he got home :)
    :pac:
    (It was that or join the foreigh legion)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

That's a bit extreme to get out of dating again.

I'd say he headed off as there's noting you can do here and he was probably offered big money for a 12 month stint over there. Why not. He said he's getting financially secure so this is just another step in that direction.

Or else his shyness got to him. Big step for him to go on the show either way, so fair play to him.

Sorry about your dad

They reveal too much on a first date some of them

He might have thought his best chance of getting out of there in 1 piece was to say yes, then run to the Gulf of Mexico.

All joking aside, I know people who do those jobs and you can literally get called to anywhere, anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    WTF....why did she make him pay for the food so if she was gonna say no!!!!

Just catching up on this thread now.

There is a reason why that one was on for a second time, and will probably be on again if allowed.

She is one of those women looking for perfection in a man, yet was far too inquisitive during the date and self-important to realise that maybe she is the issue.

Just catching up on this thread now.

There is a reason why that one was on for a second time, and will probably be on again if allowed.

She is one of those women looking for perfection in a man, yet was far too inquisitive during the date and self-important to realise that maybe she is the issue.

Surely she cant get another " bite of the cherry".....she seemed lovely but of all the heterosexual single guys on the "pull' in Ireland shes had a choice of 2, let's be Frank, fairly good looking easy going NON- physco guys & both got P45

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Luke is the absolute spit of Father Damo.

damo1.PNG

548211.PNG

B7lX1FfCAAAYcrd.jpg

Surely she cant get another " bite of the cherry".....she seemed lovely but of all the heterosexual single guys on the "pull' in Ireland shes had a choice of 2, let's be Frank, fairly good looking easy going NON- physco guys & both got P45

In her defence, he did say he wanted children. She was over the hill, so there was probably no point wasting his time either. I thought she did right saying no - as he is in his 40s too, its in nobody's interest to pursue a relationship where he wants one thing and she can't provide it.
    Cold as it is, that's the reality.

In her defence, he did say he wanted children. She was over the hill, so there was probably no point wasting his time either. I thought she did right saying no - as he is in his 40s too, its in nobody's interest to pursue a relationship where he wants one thing and she can't provide it.
    Cold as it is, that's the reality.

Definitely, it was destined for nowhere.

I've been seeing women in the past, and as well matched as we were, we ultimately wanted different things from life and things ended. It sucks, but as Sinatra once crooned - that's life.

The older you get, the more wanting/not wanting kids gets in the way, for a multitude of reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Last night was one of the better episodes of the series, every date was interesting at least. Your man Luke came across as a right bell*nd, so full of himself and some of the stuff he came out with was embarrassing, I found the first half of that date almost hard to watch it was so cringe. He will probably mature and look back on it in years to come and think what was he at. His date seemed nicer during the date but don't think she handled the end well letting him pay and then saying no to him because he was two years younger.

The Romanian woman and the bald Irish fella were gas. It was almost like a sitcom watching them with their different personalities but in the end their differences are sort of what made them compatible.

Limerick woman and man from Kildare seemed pure sound but I think it was obvious early on that they weren't going to be a match. Was funny at the start when he asked her if they were on a date!

Denis and Amy were a lovely couple and two of the most likeable people to appear on the show. Initially I thought he might have a learning difficulty or something as he seemed very awkward but maybe it's just because he didn't have an Irish upbringing he acted a little different. Amy completely had no idea how nice she was. Hope it worked out for them!

Next weeks episode doesn't look up to much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Dynomutt

KevRossi wrote: »

damo1.PNG

548211.PNG

B7lX1FfCAAAYcrd.jpg

I felt that he had a mid-90s Tony Hutchinson quality.

20200308_015114.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

He made me think of Michael Hutchence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sully123

Chesney Hawkes for me

sully123 wrote: »
    Chesney Hawkes for me

I see that!

I would speculate that Luke is probably one of those young guys that has too close a relationship with his mother following the parents divorce. I don't mean incest, but that he is suddenly the man of the house/a surrogate husband. Spoiled rotten and told they are God's gift by the mother, and no other woman will be ever good enough for him :pac: You see it with celebrities (Liz Hurley and her son spring to mind).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

YellowLead wrote: »
    I see that!

Nah, for me he just looked like a kn*b you'd see in 1st year Philosophy.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

He's 20 years old geez give im a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sully123

Absolutely, confident young lad.
    Wish I was more like him (when I was that age).

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

River Phoenix for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yeah, think people are being a little harsh on that chap. He's obviously just, young, immature and a bit of a gob****e but I'd say he's a nice guy and he handled her telling him about her condition superbly. Asked her questions about it and seemed genuinely interested.

Must admit I wanted him off my screen at the start but he won me over toward the end of the date.

Yeah to be fair if you weren’t a dope when you were 20 then you were doing it wrong. He’s a kid at the end of the day and part of a generation that probably have way more sense than many others that came before them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

You can tell the age of posters here are mostly 30+ they tend to dislike the younger daters.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Such a bad episode I was almost wishing we heard Eli's long long long story about his army career.

Almost.

You can tell the age of posters here are mostly 30+ they tend to dislike the younger daters.

I’d love to know the average viewership? I doubt very many early 20s people watch the show but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

The army guy was a useless prick, retired in his 49s and no job- she copped that straight away, fair play to her. The 20 year old was a typical wanker, up his own hole, but nice traits. She has a lot of issues and would be hard work. She should have paid half the bill, the little bollix. The Romanian woman was lovely, unfortunately the Dub was uneducated, boring and would be a good catch for a plank from Finglas. She deserves someone to treat her like the lovely person she is.

The army guy was a useless prick, retired in his 49s and no job- she copped that straight away, fair play to her. The 20 year old was a typical wanker, up his own hole, but nice traits. She has a lot of issues and would be hard work. She should have paid half the bill, the little bollix. The Romanian woman was lovely, unfortunately the Dub was uneducated, boring and would be a good catch for a plank from Finglas. She deserves someone to treat her like the lovely person she is.

Jeez you haven’t a judgemental bone in your body have you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

:pac: guess I must be old now then since I'm over 30. Don't tar us all with the same brush sure lol.

I actually mostly enjoy the daters in their early 20s cos it brings back the memories of me being a big awkward dope when I was younger and I can only imagine how badly I'd come across in a few minutes of heavily edited telly.
    dobman88 wrote: »
    Yeah, think people are being a little harsh on that chap. He's obviously just, young, immature and a bit of a gob****e but I'd say he's a nice guy and he handled her telling him about her condition superbly. Asked her questions about it and seemed genuinely interested.

Must admit I wanted him off my screen at the start but he won me over toward the end of the date.

KevRossi wrote: »

Or Georgie from Young Sheldon

Young-Sheldon-George-Cooper-Jr-2415193.jpg?w=640&ssl=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭chosen1

You sound nice....

Advertisement