Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Kaleb Quick Handshake

WildWater wrote: »
    She fancied the friend’s date.

Picked it up fairly quickly she wasnt happy with the choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

She looks well for 58. I wonder has she had botox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Yay! They did hit it off. Her hair is a lovely colour as well. I wonder how they all got their hair done

I think restrictions up north were more relaxed than here last summer/autumn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The ginger and the dweeb must be the worst match of the series so far, up there with the Italian and the Tipp girl

Why is he a dweeb???

. He seemed ok, sound enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

Great..
    'A message to you Rudy !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mecrab

Hamachi wrote: »
    I know it’s old fashioned, but leaving the girl to pick up the bill is just awful.

I would have sensed she wasn't into me and if she offered to pay it then sure go on why not!

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Google Soy boy.

Googled that there.......thats a new one for me. I heard a term today....." simp"....... that's kinda the same thing?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Why is he a dweeb???

. He seemed ok, sound enough

He was, but I'd consider the term somewhat endearing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Picked it up fairly quickly she wasnt happy with the choice

Seriously who thought they would be a match! Still - it’s makes it more entertaining for viewers I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Ryan got the Shag and then decided to be friends. Top fella.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

What’s that mean

It's an alt-right slur, popular among the incel community.

Mecrab wrote: »
    I would have sensed she wasn't into me and if she offered to pay it then sure go on why not!

Under normal circumstances I can't fault your logic.....BUT with the cameras rolling for a tv show.......jesus.......he should've 'stepped up'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Mecrab wrote: »

Fair enough. I couldn’t do it and would insist on paying.

Under normal circumstances I can't fault your logic.....BUT with the cameras rolling for a tv show.......jesus.......he should've 'stepped up'

Camera or not, he should have insisted on at least going halves.

like the women who go on this and the uk one, no hassle with guy paying and then saying, nah be friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

guy was an irritating dose but so what if she paid ?

only dinner , not his motor loan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Well, that was absolutely excruciating!
    Feel sorry for the poor guy, but he really should've known better than to let her pay! He's gonna get some amount of ridicule for that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The ginger and the dweeb must be the worst match of the series so far, up there with the Italian and the Tipp girl

Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten about those two!

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

She looks well for 58. I wonder has she had botox.

Off the shoulder number worked well for her, good looking lady indeed....a bit worried that the love of her life died at 20 and her marriage broke down because of his memory....it's quite sad, hope she finds it this time around

This is one of the reasons why I would never go for a meal as a first date. The inevitable argument about paying. The awkwardness of going halves when you never carry cash. Trying to come across as attractive and dignified while stuffing your face and having food on your chin.

At least with drinks or coffee, you can take it in turns to pay.

It is easy for everyone to say for him to pay but when you are being filmed like that, it's possible he was taken by surprise and thought it meant she was into him? I thought he was sound enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

What is wrong with these young people- taking your Ma on a date with you is not normal behaviour :rolleyes: I have never seen it on the UK one. That happened at least once before on Irish one but at least she had the sense to stay in the background and not make herself known. These two tonight were shouting over at the couples and trying to insert themselves into the date as much as possible.

If I was out on a first date and she said by the way this is my mother I would run a mile.

.anon. wrote: »
    This is one of the reasons why I would never go for a meal as a first date. The inevitable argument about paying. The awkwardness of going halves when you never carry cash. Trying to come across as attractive and dignified while stuffing your face and having food on your chin.

At least with drinks or coffee, you can take it in turns to pay.

I remember going on a date before and when I turned up the guy was ****faced. We went for dinner and I offered to pay half, he grabbed the money off me and paid for the whole meal out of it and kept the change! State of him as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I remember going on a date before and when I turned up the guy was ****faced. We went for dinner and I offered to pay half, he grabbed the money off me and paid for the whole meal out of it and kept the change! State of him as well.

Was there a second date?

• Advertisement

Was there a second date?

Ha! The guy was horrible. I was working in this good restaurant at the time and he said he ate there and had blood coming out of his nose for two days afterwards.
    The whole date was him giving out. He was way older then me as well, I think he must have lied about his age.

Was there a second date?

"Reader, I married him"

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RebeccaK21

It is easy for everyone to say for him to pay but when you are being filmed like that, it's possible he was taken by surprise and thought it meant she was into him? I thought he was sound enough.

Yeah that was my take, I thought she was maybe thinking she'd get this and he'd get drinks or whatever the next time.
    Overall I thought she treated him really disrespectfully, if I went on a date with somebody I would expect their full attention at the very least. Both guys seemed freaked out, and relieved once they realised that it was their mothers that they kept making eye contact at. And bringing each other to the toilet too was so childish. Fair play to the army guy, he dealt with it well!! He came across great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Don't want to appear heartless but still heart broken 38 years later, its seems she cant move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

He let her pay ,is that a first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

She paid because she'd no interest in seeing him again.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Don't want to appear heartless but still heart broken 38 years later, its seems she cant move on.

TBH, I thought that too. Many of us experience intense connections in our early 20s, albeit without the tragedy she experienced. They usually burn out though and you look back with fondness, but not with a great sense of loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

YellowLead wrote: »
    I’m not usually into rocker types but I wouldn’t mind dating him! Seems like a lovely guy.

Most people from Mayo have a very easy going personality from my experience.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Most people from Mayo have a very easy going personality from my experience.

?width=615&version=1960963

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

.anon. wrote: »
    ?width=615&version=1960963

Iarnrod Enda!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Good episode. Did not envey the two guys dating the two women with there mothers there. Fair play to them do they both handled it well.
    The other two couples were nice too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭IngridM20

Good episode minus the Mothers and all that nonsense. Ruined it. Surprised Drummer said no, that’s a pity. I think the girl was lovely and really liked him. Glad the army guy and date said yes. They seem nice. Oldies would be great friends at least. The nerd letting his date pay....... I can only hope he was planning to be paying for drinks after/soon or date 2. Came off terrible as he didn’t put up much fight either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The Tipp girl & Italian were in the background of tonight's show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

TBH, I thought that too. Many of us experience intense connections in our early 20s, albeit without the tragedy she experienced. They usually burn out though and you look back with fondness, but not with a great sense of loss.

I’d imagine it’d feel very different if, at the height of that intensity while making and looking forward to future plans with no problems, they died quite suddenly. Huge difference to a brief but intense relationship when you’re young fizzling out and looking back at it a bit sheepish years later.

Was just thinking, can you imagine a fella bringing his Mammy on a first date?
    You would not see the girl for dust :D

• Advertisement

IngridM20 wrote: »
    Good episode minus the Mothers and all that nonsense. Ruined it. Surprised Drummer said no, that’s a pity. I think the girl was lovely and really liked him. Glad the army guy and date said yes. They seem nice. Oldies would be great friends at least. The nerd letting his date pay....... I can only hope he was planning to be paying for drinks after/soon or date 2. Came off terrible as he didn’t put up much fight either.

she turned him down, but fairly quickly you could tell she had no interest after seeing what her friend got....i get the vibe she'd be after a gaa head type over a "nerdy" type

Was just thinking, can you imagine a fella bringing his Mammy on a first date?
    You would not see the girl for dust :D

they did it on the UK one, iirc he met up again with the date

they did it on the UK one, iirc he met up again with the date
    :eek: Did he introduce her to his date and all? They must have been a young couple were they?
    Most women would think 'Mummy's boy' and leg it.

:eek: Did he introduce her to his date and all? They must have been a young couple were they?
    Most women would think 'Mummy's boy' and leg it.
    This was a while back but iirc, they were mid 20's and i think they ended up shifting on teh couch outside once she left...the mother now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Those mothers just ruined the episode for me. They were constantly butting in and the audio was focused on them rather than the girls most of the time. It shouldn’t be allowed. I’ve no interest in watching people looking over at dates, just show the bloody dates themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The more I think about the mothers being there the more it annoys me. What a pair of attention seeking clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The Mayo and Cork lad were my picks from tonight. And I'm a straight man.

Felt sorry for the older lady as you get the impression she'll never get over her loss.

The sooner the red head drops the act that she's looking for a fellow actor/alternative guy and sets her sights on a good solid corner back, the better she'll be for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Really poor episode for me.

The women from Down ruined it. Mind you it was fairly meh anyway.
    From the minute I saw the 4 of them coming, they reinforced almost every stereotype of women from the North. Zero class, brash, loud, like a tribe.
    Army man from Cork was dead sound and good craic, he will do better I think.
    Luke shouldn't have let the girl pay but I genuinely suspect he was so spooked by everything that had gone on, under the cameras he was like "I don't know what to expect next". The way the girl came over and said did she want to go to the toilet - it was like "half time" in a match. And when the mothers went in. Oh god, it was like a football manager giving them a minute to gather their thoughts before going in.

Blondie was absolutely SICKENED when her friend was selected for Army man.

If they are doing anything like that again, they should tell mommy to stay in at home and have the girls on at different times to give the lads a chance. I can 100% say, if I went on a date and her mother was behind her, I would run a mile regardless of how attracted I was. It was so unclassy, so inconsiderate, and the fact that they had mic meant the producers knew exactly what they were at.

I have no doubt that both will now be dating a GAA player in the hope that they might get a trip to the All-Stars - lets hope they don't avail of the 4 for the price of 3 offer on dresses next time.

Fair play to the drummer, beating addiction can't be easy. I have great admiration for recovering addicts of any sort.

Older couple were nice and a bit alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

If I was in a date with one of the 2 friends, I would be thinking, there is good chance they turn out like those two fools of mothers and say no to a second date.

• Advertisement

The older couple had some very interesting stories to tell about themselves.
    You find with the very young couples it is usually more small talk or do you like x, y and z, what is your favourite... type of thing.

Advertisement