Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    Would you be down on two knees licking the palms of her feet or something.

Feet have soles. Hands have palms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

For everyone who comes on here every week like “THE MAN SHOULDN’T HAVE TO PAY.”

That’s how weird that attitude looks, and how well that goes, in real life. It was somehow more mortifying when he tried to play it off as if he was just testing her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

One wrong move with Milfy Barbara and you're out. He dodged a bullet there.

she was miles out of his league so he blew a one shot deal

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭IngridM20

Splitsies was the end of him.
    Sad for the hyper girl who looked upset
    Not exactly losing out are they? Yikes .... it’s crazy to see...
    Good episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Feet have soles. Hands have palms

Unfortunately your "perfect woman" Barbara has hands for feet and a cock instead of a Vagina. No woman is perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

No

You invite a woman out to dinner and you pay for it

Basic manners

He didn't invite her though.
    Still think he should have offered to pay full anyway.
    As for "splitsies", jesus wept.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Unfortunately your "perfect woman" Barbara has hands for feet and a cock instead of a Vagina. No woman is perfect.

Shocking comment

Gilfy

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Shocking comment

Nah, just stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I think it is interesting how easily the women let the guy pay, its like they are living in 1920 or something.

I think the Roscommon guy should have said yes, she seemed a lovely girl, a bit too good for him in my opinion. He had a bit of a serious face on him, the kind of guy that puts on an act, he was laughing but it was a fake laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

her twitter photo looks nothing like her.

She looks even more annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That clown concierge guy is so smarmy and full of himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

IngridM20 wrote: »
    She looks even more annoying.

those soft-focus duckface selfies always look terrible.

No

You invite a woman out to dinner and you pay for it

Basic manners

Eh what?

He didn’t invite her - that’s not the concept at all

She made contact with the producers and signed up to appear on the show

Barbara very full of herself but a false confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I was just going to say, typical catfish!

Rachel (red head) is a twitter personality. Probably just went on to have some content for her twitter.

Ultra woke also.

Ha, didn't watch the show but just realised I know Sam! How did the date go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Interesting episode....

Two gay guys were really well matched, very down to earth as well and not egoistic or narcisstic. Glad it clicked and they are meeting each other.

Rachel and Glasses guy were also well matched to a point. He's very shy, almost painfully so but his trip to the States seems to have done him a world of good. I think she was here to publicise herself, seems they both found someone else so all good there,

I liked Miranda, she reminds me of my cousin, who's also a bit ADHD. She was very talkative, but very funny and a good person to meet up with. They were a slightly different match though. He seems more grounded and seemed to know what he wants in life. She was fairly gutted when he said no. Nice to see she met someone. Gorgeous hair as well.

Ans where to start with Barbara. It seems he didn't fancy himself with her for some reason, but he was with her for a couple of hours so maybe he saw something. Maybe the bill-paying was a test. She wasn't impressed, looks like she's used to being treated well. I thought at the end she was expecting him to say yes, and if so she would have met him again. But it wasn't to be.

Cracking looking woman, funny, mischievous, a cyclist, not much older than me and lives near enough to me as well. What am I doing wrong? :)

This might sound odd, but there was a triangular cut at the back of her dress, at the bottom of her spine. Thought that was very sexy for some reason.

But I enjoyed tonight a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I've never seen someone snatching defeat from the jaws of victory quite so catastrophically as that! What was he playing at?!
    I know there's people who will say equality, feminism, blah blah blah, but those factors are not as relevant at their age. She was great looking and good craic and probably into him too. He even could've maybe salvaged it at the end too - she was very hesitant to close the door on it and I think she just ruled out seeing each other romantically to protect herself from the double whammy of paying for her dinner and then getting rejected by him. He'll be having nightmares about that one. (Unless he wasn't actually interested in her. But it seemed like he said he was in the solo interview)

Honestly I’d say it’s more likely he kept it together for the date then unravelled a bit and showed his issues, that have likely led him to be single, at the end. First dates in general are tough to mess up if you click, you just have to hold your piss and play your best hand for a few hours, much less in a situation with a nice restaurant, a date who’s volunteered to be there and bought-in and an environment where you’re encouraged to connect. If there’s any sign of crazy at that stage, you’re best running and I’d say in that moment she saw serious red flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

On the whole "splitsies" debacle, what I found most strange was when he then said he would pay for it - he only wanted to see what she would say or it was a test or somehing around the splitsies comment. Really weird behaviour.

She nearly choked on her drink when he suggested going splitsies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Hell yeh he did! She would never pass the test with his family/friends.

KevRossi wrote: »

Ans where to start with Barbara. It seems he didn't fancy himself with her for some reason, but he was with her for a couple of hours so maybe he saw something. Maybe the bill-paying was a test. She wasn't impressed, looks like she's used to being treated well. I thought at the end she was expecting him to say yes, and if so she would have met him again. But it wasn't to be.

Cracking looking woman, funny, mischievous, a cyclist, not much older than me and lives near enough to me as well. What am I doing wrong? :)

Would you not have thought that she would be the type to bleed him dry and ALWAYS let him pay for everything? Maybe he wanted to test that theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Matteo is the GOAT

I loved the bit where the guy with the glasses was explaining his upturn in fortune after his move to the America. I loved how much he got into the explanation to her. Seemed a good guy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Would you not have thought that she would be the type to bleed him dry and ALWAYS let him pay for everything? Maybe he wanted to test that theory?

Test it on the second date then! Not on tv and make yourself look a prat! I'm in my thirties and I think the guy should always pay on First Dates unless the the girl acting absolutely terribly or she's putting up huge resistance to him paying. Guys who don't pay generally come out of it looking really badly. It's just not worth it for the sake of €50. There's plenty of times to assess later if she's the type to just bleed them dry.

Thought the red head guy dealt with the bill very well with what could've been an awkward situation, given you'd have strong suspicions she might have been a hardline feminist. Thought he was brilliant overall on his date. Came across very well.

Still Ill wrote: »
    Test it on the second date then! Not on tv and make yourself look a prat! I'm in my thirties and I think the guy should always pay on First Dates unless the the girl acting absolutely terribly or she's putting up huge resistance to him paying. Guys who don't pay generally come out of it looking really badly. It's just not worth it for the sake of €50. There's plenty of times to assess later if she's the type to just bleed them dry.

I suppose but its been a while since I had done dating. I seem to remember that I would get food and she would get a couple of drinks in afterwards.

I would certainly question what his train of thought was on going splits on it and she looked shocked that she would have to put her hand in her purse. But sure look, it made good tv!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 RebeccaK21

On the whole "splitsies" debacle, what I found most strange was when he then said he would pay for it - he only wanted to see what she would say or it was a test or somehing around the splitsies comment. Really weird behaviour.

She nearly choked on her drink when he suggested going splitsies.

That was so odd. He said it was a test but that doesn't even make sense. What was she expecting, that she'd disagree and insist he pays? Of course she's going to pay her half then. It was so rude!
    I felt sorry for her really, I thought they were getting on well and would say she had the same impression. If I was her, the way he shouted splitsies (!!!) would have told me that he was not interested at all. And she did leave loads of silences at the end where he could have interjected in the interview. If he'd said yes she definitely would have.

I think it showed a certain meanness from Barbara that she seemed to be offended by him asking to split the Bill

- perfectly reasonable in 2021

We don’t know his circumstances financially etc

She applied to go on the show.

Just in case people are unclear about this I want to repeat - He did NOT invite her out. (Maybe then situation is different)

She applied to go on a date the same as he did.

Why was she so “offended” by him casually asking to go halves on the bill?

I think it showed a certain meanness from Barbara that she seemed to be offended by him asking to split the Bill

- perfectly reasonable in 2021

We don’t know his circumstances financially etc

She applied to go on the show.

Just in case people are unclear about this I want to repeat - He did NOT invite her out. (Maybe then situation is different)

She applied to go on a date the same as he did.

Why was she so “offended” by him casually asking to go halves on the bill?

Is it not just the perception that the men pay!!!

Just as a side note, and we do not actually know but would the producers of the show, coco television give them the cost of the meal back?

Just as a side note, and we do not actually know but would the producers of the show, coco television give them the cost of the meal back?

No, not at all

Years ago it was when a man “invited” a lady out on a date then yes the regular thing was he paid

This show set up is completely different

Barbara was NOT invited on a date by him. She applied to go on the show and then the producers selected her.

I don’t understand why she reacted so poorly to being asked to pay half. It shows a pure meanness from her.

A sort of “don’t ask me. I’m above paying” attitude

A sort of “don’t ask me. I’m above paying” attitude

Many will disagree but I thought she was quite uncouth compared to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think someone mentioned they give them 30 euro each towards meal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I thought Barbara was nice albeit potentially a bit Edna Krabappel the way she was talking. I was sure Miley from Glenroe was going to get another date until he made a complete mess of the bill situation. I know it is 2021 but why not just pay the €50 and see where it went after that, lots of time to find out if she's high maintenance.
    I thought Donna and Joseph McCaul seemed like a good match but I wouldn't be sure she wouldn't be an insufferable individual.
    The gay guys were the nicest gays on the series to date. They seemed really nice.
    The other couple were a bit meh for me. He was nice, she was a motormouth.
    It wasn't a great episode for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I think the rule should be that either party should suggest to pay for the whole thing to start off with (regardless of gender or sexual orientation). If you're interested in seeing the other person again you should be willing to pay for both meals to show that you had a good time. If the other person suggests going halves, you should feel free to accept regardless of how the date went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Is "splitsies" even a word that is used? I've never heard it before. Maybe it's a Dublin expression?

I thought Barbara was nice albeit potentially a bit Edna Krabappel the way she was talking. I was sure Miley from Glenroe was going to get another date until he made a complete mess of the bill situation. I know it is 2021 but why not just pay the €50 and see where it went after that, lots of time to find out if she's high maintenance.
    I thought Donna and Joseph McCaul seemed like a good match but I wouldn't be sure she wouldn't be an insufferable individual.
    The gay guys were the nicest gays on the series to date. They seemed really nice.
    The other couple were a bit meh for me. He was nice, she was a motormouth.
    It wasn't a great episode for me.

Donna and Joseph mccaul !!! I knew they reminded me of someone but couldn’t pin it down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

VonLuck wrote: »
    I think the rule should be that either party should suggest to pay for the whole thing to start off with (regardless of gender or sexual orientation). If you're interested in seeing the other person again you should be willing to pay for both meals to show that you had a good time. If the other person suggests going halves, you should feel free to accept regardless of how the date went.

Why would they do that - it is one of the only things people talk about every week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Why would they do that - it is one of the only things people talk about every week!

I mean as a principle in dating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Barbara dodged a bullet with yer man. If he is doing that om a 1st date to "test her" then what kind of mind games would he be at if they met again. Fcuk that. A total gobshíte he was at the end. Lucky escape for her.

How are we even having this debate this week after seeing how weird and scabby someone looks when they apply the “well it’s 2021, it’s only fair” attitude to real life and starting insisting the other pays half?

First off, as has been said, you can leave it until some other time to find out if she’s the type to try bleed you dry financially, it’s not something you’ll find out in that environment anyway.

Secondly, lads do you know how much it costs for a women to get their hair done compared to us? Make-up etc? Getting dolled up for a night out is in a different stratosphere, expense-wise, for women than men when we just need to jump in the shower and, at most, iron a shirt.

Just pay the €50 on your already-subsidised date FFS.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Barbara dodged a bullet with yer man. If he is doing that om a 1st date to "test her" then what kind of mind games would he be at if they met again. Fcuk that. A total gobshíte he was at the end. Lucky escape for her.

I think it was more he very reasonably asked her to split the Bill

Then she had a complete over reaction to that, so he tried to “walk it back”.

I still don’t know why she didn’t just split the Bill and move on.

I think it was more he very reasonably asked her to split the Bill

Then she had a complete over reaction to that, so he tried to “walk it back”.

I still don’t know why she didn’t just split the Bill and move on.

Tbh I couldnt disagree with you more. He had a 2nd date locked up. It looked like they had had a good time. He should have at least offered to pay and not jump in with "splitsies". Its not a teenage trip to the cinema.

His attempt to walk it back was also brutal. Honestly it's a sign of someone playing stupid mind games with the I was only testing you shtick. Why test her? What was the point.

Showed himself up horribly there.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Tbh I couldnt disagree with you more. He had a 2nd date locked up. It looked like they had had a good time. He should have at least offered to pay and not jump in with "splitsies". Its not a teenage trip to the cinema.

His attempt to walk it back was also brutal. Honestly it's a sign of someone playing stupid mind games with the I was only testing you shtick. Why test her? What was the point.

Showed himself up horribly there.

Why was it such a huge issue for her to be asked to split the Bill??

Why is it “taboo” for him to ask to split it.

Maybe he had no intention of saying yes to another date with her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

As a happily married bloke, I'll be honest and say that on occasion, you do miss the chance to be free to drop a chat up line like..."what's going on in your life apart from the general macro environment"

Oh to be young free and single.

Why was it such a huge issue for her to be asked to split the Bill??

Why is it “taboo” for him to ask to split it.

Maybe he had no intention of saying yes to another date with her?

That's the thing. If he had no intention of saying yes and he went first at the end to say no instead of this nonsense of oh no ladies first. We wouldn't be talking about him asking to split it. It would have been a case of ag fair enough he wanted to split it cos he had no interest.

But he pretty much made her go first. He came across really badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not a great episode of First dates. They were all unlikable except for your one with the red hair and him with the glasses and your one from Mayo. Otherwise all the rest were for off themselves especially your man who tried to split the bill with you one he was so full of himself. Something very shady about him. I did not like him at alm and she was very lucky he said no in the end. As for your one from Mayo and though your man was an ejit to say no but she deserves better anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The guy who said no to the mayo girl, is up himself for some reason, she dodged a bullet there.

Barbara showed herself up as a bit of a golddigger and I know it is 2021 but id say he is as tight as a frogs arse, he will get some slagging for that comment, like he is 60 so should be somewhat old school.

• Advertisement
Advertisement