Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Jodie has a fierce ring of "You didn't like my Instagram post Ronan. Why didn't you like my Instagram post? Don't look at your phone, Ronan, look at me. Why didn't you like my Instagram post?" off her.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Spacific

The lads that were on the preview two weeks ago were not shown tonight.

"So, what keeps you off the streets"
    "I work on the streets, I'm a police officer"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Spacific wrote: »
    The lads that were on the preview two weeks ago were not shown tonight.

"So, what keeps you off the streets"
    "I work on the streets, I'm a police officer"
    Aha, must have been the third item in the entertainment.ie blurb I was looking at:
    "French Canadian comedian Camelia is set up with an elusive date, and bikini model Jodi from Dublin meets confident entrepreneur Ronan. Elsewhere, 37-year-old police officer Paul sits down with 43-year-old Kerryman Gerr, while Aidan from Cork meets super-positive Judy from Dublin"
    and been pulled last week then replaced by Louth-Ballymun couple!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭4Ad

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I read that as he went to Fine Wines and got 6 cans of Clonmel Chardonnay for the journey home, and pissed himself on the train home.

I bet you he is like the 3 lads from Louth on Irish Gogglebox, they are sitting there drinking, pissing themselves and he is pissing himself also laughing at himself !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

4Ad wrote: »
    I bet you he is like the 3 lads from Louth on Irish Gogglebox, they are sitting there drinking, pissing themselves and he is pissing himself also laughing at himself !!!!

she wasn't bad looking but he was lucky she said no. he needs someone more up for a few pints on the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I speak Hebrew !

Get me a ****ing gun quick !!

Hebrew and Arabic are not similar at all so why would he even mention it? Like saying something in Japanese and then someone else goes 'I speak French'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Good excuse.....*Makes note*

Yeah must have got the ride and ghosted her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Yeah must have got the ride and ghosted her.

A guy like that isn't going to settle down with a Northsider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

sSnjoib.jpg

• Advertisement

A laughed out loud when I seen jodie on the show because I know her from secondary school but literally haven't seen her since.

Last I heard she moved to Puerto Rico and got a boob job when she finished school. She's adopted a whole new accent, used to be a real North sider. It seems she's also given herself a random Italian surname.

I honestly don't blame her. She comes from a very troubled house hold in very rough surroundings. At least one of her siblings passed away very young. She's obviously distancing herself from all that instead of trying to capitalise on a sob story, fair play to her. It takes a lot of strength to reinvent yourself and if all this Instagram and TikTok stuff works for her then I'm happy for her. She could've done a lot worse in her circumstances than being 'a bore' as people on social are calling her.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭IngridM20

Just finished watching;

(Can’t stand the signed-up spectators glaring over in this series... anyway.

My verdict:

* Kildare blonde was really stunning. Seemed down to earth. Pity she got stuck with an absolute man-child with an inflated ego. Baffles me how he can be so cocky, is all I’ll say there.

* African lady very stunning also, but her date seemed like he should’ve been on a date with a guy?! Just sayin’. He looked like a Jedward relative. *Shudders*

* Ballymun (Howth’s little sister? Lol) and his date were so adorable. What a lovely young guy. God love him, friend-zoned though as he’s too nice. Go figure. Hope he meets someone as nice as he is.

* Miss-Instagram-Ireland-attention seeker. I nearly switched off. For all the effort, she looked better with the mask on. Up her own arse. Photos before every time she goes out / spare me. What a pain. Her date seemed nice, handsome enough, a tad boring. That won’t last as she only wants attention.

* Comedian - I felt absolutely terrible for. Another stunning woman. How do they producers not confirm the date properly before she takes her seat at the bar, jeez.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Still Ill

@cgcsb You should probably take that down. Not really cool posting that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I knew I'd come across Ronan somewhere before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Usually I hate it when someone waits for the other person to say yes then rejects them, but your man last night was begging for it. I think we only got the tip of the iceberg on the date because even the show’s editors and producers didn’t seem to like him the way they set him up for failure the entire show, then put the boot in with “You seemed very confident?” straight after she said no. He struck me as obnoxious and leery tbh, someone that could do with being humbled on national TV to show him that maybe the world isn’t into him forcing his ‘sexy banter’ on them as he might think.

I really don’t understand the show’s obsession with the Bebo Stunnah. This is more of what I spoke of last week where the producers just go for the laziest avenue, assuming that because she has a few Insta followers she’s a ‘celeb’. I know RTE heads are about as plugged into the real world as your nan at a Kendrick Lamar concert, but someone needs to tell that ‘followings’ like that are fairly empty and make for bad TV. Nobody was calling to have her back based on that date. It’s desperation from them to get headlines and they really need to figure out what kind of show they want to produce, because First Dates isn’t a Z-list celeb show, it’s a show about normal people going on their first date.

Also don’t see why they include people being stood up. The first time it was ever done on the UK one (fun fact; I know the guy who stood her up on that :pac:), it was dramatic because it had never been done before and we didn’t realise that could be a thing. But now it’s not dramatic. We’ve seen it done, it’s a blind date so it’s clearly nothing personal on the other person, so basically you’re just setting up and showing a humiliating moment another person went through on national TV.

Still Ill wrote: »
    @cgcsb You should probably take that down. Not really cool posting that.

People here don't know her and are calling her all sorts. I know her and am taking up for her and I should take my post down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭YellowLead

cgcsb wrote: »
    People here don't know her and are calling her all sorts. I know her and am taking up for her and I should take my post down?

Also she clearly wants all this attention sticking herself up on Instagram looking for followers so why not? She’s hardly a private person.

leggo wrote: »

I really don’t understand the show’s obsession with the Bebo Stunnah. This is more of what I spoke of last week where the producers just go for the laziest avenue, assuming that because she has a few Insta followers she’s a ‘celeb’. I know RTE heads are about as plugged into the real world as your nan at a Kendrick Lamar concert, but someone needs to tell that ‘followings’ like that are fairly empty and make for bad TV. Nobody was calling to have her back based on that date. It’s desperation from them to get headlines and they really need to figure out what kind of show they want to produce, because First Dates isn’t a Z-list celeb show, it’s a show about normal people going on their first date.

I’d love to know the actual audience for the show - seems they are trying to capture the Love Island audience but it’s all wrong for that and that’s never going to happen. There’s a reason I don’t watch LI and it’s because I’d prefer not to have ones like bikini snore taking up real estate in my living room.

It definitely strikes me as a production team who want to make a Love Island-style show but are stuck doing this and don’t have a firm handle over what show it is they’re looking to make. Reality is that the Love Island audience isn’t going to be tuning in in their droves to watch a low budget RTE remake with less attractive and somehow more vapid contestants, so they need to keep away from the people who were rejected from that show and stick to the genuine ones who actually want to meet someone and not get a few Insta followers. I don't think Bebo Stunnah even talked about dating or what she wanted beyond saying she didn’t enjoy it! Her entire interviews were centred around her being Miss Bikini Ireland or whatever random social media contest she entered that she thinks is a big deal.

People I know that enjoy First Dates are 25-40 and, for the most part, want to watch real people participate in genuine dates. I understand there’s a bit of creative production trickery and editing needed sometimes to put a fun narrative together, that’s true of any TV show. But what grabs people about this show is the simplicity and relatability in comparison to all other dating shows. I hope they focus on that and just doing their job well rather than lazily leaning on these stunt contestants next season. If I was working on this show, I’d say the matchmaking part would be the most fun and interesting side. This season it’s seemed to be a chore and you can see it in the amount of dates that went nowhere or turned into trainwrecks.

Maybe they had to scrape the barrel a bit with the pandemic happening possibly less people apples than usual so maybe they didn’t have a great selection to pick from and match.

You are right the matching bit would be so much fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Was last night a new episode or a re-hash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Why didn't the barman ask the Canadian out? They seemed to be getting on well.

When the Emcee jokingly suggested it to him the barman almost dived under the bar in fright!

When the Emcee jokingly suggested it to him the barman almost dived under the bar in fright!

Why would you wish him on that girl. :eek::pac:

cgcsb wrote: »
    A laughed out loud when I seen jodie on the show because I know her from secondary school but literally haven't seen her since.

Last I heard she moved to Puerto Rico and got a boob job when she finished school. She's adopted a whole new accent, used to be a real North sider. It seems she's also given herself a random Italian surname.

I honestly don't blame her. She comes from a very troubled house hold in very rough surroundings. At least one of her siblings passed away very young. She's obviously distancing herself from all that instead of trying to capitalise on a sob story, fair play to her. It takes a lot of strength to reinvent yourself and if all this Instagram and TikTok stuff works for her then I'm happy for her. She could've done a lot worse in her circumstances than being 'a bore' as people on social are calling her.

Poster above "still ILL" is correct 100%, your post is passive aggressive and anyone can see through it. what's a REAL Northsider by the way?
    So because of one show you assume that it's "obvious" she's distancing herself from all "THAT" all what? living in what you assume is a rough area? distancing herself from a troubled house and the tragic death of a young sibling?

how is she reinvented? what kind of rubbish are you spouting about a girl who's not here do defend herself or indeed contradict your slander.
    Moderator is at huge fault letting that post stand in my opinion....and indeed if anyone did know her in the way you claim, coming to her defense in this regard is a bloody joke. If she was drowning you'd throw her a barbell by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

A good episode I thought, it was mainly younger people, all under 40? And all seemed to be on for genuine reasons apart from the bikini model.

Jamie and Rosa seemed like a sound pair, both seemed mature for their age and the conversations they had seemed to have more depth than many others who've been on this season.

Brian and Sarah was an annoying date to watch but also entertaining for that reason. He really thought he was a ladies man but it seemed like she had no interest at all. I didn't catch their ages but guessing mid 30s, he went on like he was ten years younger with all of the boasting about drinking and mad nights out. Surely he knew telling the story about why he split with his ex was not a good idea for a first date, especially a girl who seemed particularly not into partying. Some of his flirting was pure awkward and cringe too. I know she was from Kildare, but it seemed like a real poor match up of a dub vs a culchie.

Ronan and Jodie were an interesting match up, I'd say realistically they were never going to work out long term but both attractive people who are probably a bit different to what they are used to. Not surprised it was a yes but also not too surprised it didn't go anywhere.

Felt bad for the Canadian girl, she seemed really nice and would have been good to watch, hopefully she comes back again.

Will miss watching it on a Thursday night, was one of few things I watched regularly and definitely helped through this lockdown!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Funniest bit was when the barman spoke his bit of French to the French Canadian girl who struggled to understand him and then replied that she had never heard that expression before.

Morto!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

YellowLead wrote: »
    Is this the last in the current series?

I'd say so. They did a bit of a review of all the dates that matched up, and one or two that didn't. We might get 2-3 episodes of 'Best of FD 2021'.
    She was polite about it and he couldn't give a damn, he went to Fine Wines and got 6 cans of Clonmel Chardonnay for the journey home, and pissed himself laughing telling the lads !!

He's a tool. I know his type too well. He'll never settle down, if he finds someone he won't stick around too long once things get serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

They pushed “punter interested in barman” a few times now. If they ever put him on a date I’ll kick my TV screen in and every other screen in the house just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

What to make of that?

I thought Jamie and Rosa were really well suited, but I know from personal experience that he needs to ditch a couple of stone to make himself more available. Apart from that he has everything going for him. Never got the impression he was gay like some other viewers.

Judy and Blonde Cork guy... his mannerisms were a bit like Spud from Trainspotting. He seeemd nice, but spoke over her a couple of times. She was about to tell something of her upbringing and he gave a 'Oh, me too... let me tell you about my experience' type of answer. He needs to zip it a bit and listen a bit more. My first thought he'd be looking for a guy. She's a stunner, seemed very well grounded, I liked her.

Ronan and Jodie... He thought he was the dog's bollix. For someone like that he dressed like someone working in a warehouse, the shirt was dire. She knows what she wants, she's pursuing a career, or income in fashion or whatever, so she tried to get herself more exposure. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't want to see it and the producers could do without that. Apart from that she's not really my type, she's too superficial for me, but if what the poster above wrote about her is true, then fair play to her getting herself out of a potential downward spiral.

Brian and Sarah... Brian is a twat, he needs to grow up. Pints and cans with the lads are fine and well, but it stops at some stage and he doesn't need to advertise it. He was totally full of himself and was somewhere between shocked and gutted when she dumped him, very publicly. I got a creep vibe off him, also got the impression he's a messy drunk to be out with. She was fine, but slightly vacuous for her years.

Sad it's over, I'll miss it. I really enjoy it and have come to like it more than the UK version. It needs more mature couples and less of the 'Insta/Tik Tok' crowd. I know that they are easy to source as they probably use casting agencies or similar, but most of us seem to dislike them.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

I speak Hebrew !

Get me a ****ing gun quick !!

He spent four-and-a-half years serving in the Israeli army enforcing apartheid apparently

https://www.irishmirror.ie/tv/first-dates-ireland-show-staff-23483811

Housefree wrote: »
    He spent four-and-a-half years serving in the Israeli army enforcing apartheid apparently

https://www.irishmirror.ie/tv/first-dates-ireland-show-staff-23483811

Did he live in Israel I wonder?

If you are a citizen you have no choice: you either go in the IDF when you turn 18 or else you go to military prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

rusty cole wrote: »
    Poster above "still ILL" is correct 100%, your post is passive aggressive and anyone can see through it. what's a REAL Northsider by the way?
    So because of one show you assume that it's "obvious" she's distancing herself from all "THAT" all what? living in what you assume is a rough area? distancing herself from a troubled house and the tragic death of a young sibling?

how is she reinvented? what kind of rubbish are you spouting about a girl who's not here do defend herself or indeed contradict your slander.
    Moderator is at huge fault letting that post stand in my opinion....and indeed if anyone did know her in the way you claim, coming to her defense in this regard is a bloody joke. If she was drowning you'd throw her a barbell by the sounds of it.

I didn't think he was that rough on her, in fairness. You're having the more OTT reaction to me. In fact none of what he said was surprising at all, from looking and listening to her she seemed exactly like someone who reinvented themselves with a boob job but who is still having trouble losing the accent.

Yourself and the Jodies of the world might not be aware of it, but there is a huge backlash happening towards these wannabe Instafamous wannabe influencers and the vacuous crap they spout which is just basically ads masquerading as their normal lifestyle. It's just a big bandwagon for the narcissistic and genetically blessed or surgically enhanced to jump on to feed their ego and avoid getting a real job. Especially since the pandemic people are fed up with the unrealistic standards of beauty they portray with filters and photoshop.

People have grown tired of the whole shtick, which is a good thing IMO as we were in danger of having a society like that Black Mirror episode where people are put into social classes by their peer review ratings/follower count.

I didn't think he was that rough on her, in fairness. You're having the more OTT reaction to me. In fact none of what he said was surprising at all, from looking and listening to her she seemed exactly like someone who reinvented themselves with a boob job but who is still having trouble losing the accent.

Yourself and the Jodies of the world might not be aware of it, but there is a huge backlash happening towards these wannabe Instafamous wannabe influencers and the vacuous crap they spout which is just basically ads masquerading as their normal lifestyle. It's just a big bandwagon for the narcissistic and genetically blessed or surgically enhanced to jump on to feed their ego and avoid getting a real job. Especially since the pandemic people are fed up with the unrealistic standards of beauty they portray with filters and photoshop.

People have grown tired of the whole shtick, which is a good thing IMO as we were in danger of having a society like that Black Mirror episode where people are put into social classes by their peer review ratings/follower count.

To summarise a long post there...... she's basically a ' headwreck'

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

Did he live in Israel I wonder?

If you are a citizen you have no choice: you either go in the IDF when you turn 18 or else you go to military prison.

He's Canadian, 'As of 2020, the normal length of compulsory service was two years and six months for men'
    Jewish people from anywhere can sign up to serve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Was it a new episode last night?

This thread is getting weird.

Housefree wrote: »
    He's Canadian, 'As of 2020, the normal length of compulsory service was two years and six months for men'
    Jewish people from anywhere can sign up to serve
    Now that you mention it, there was an ex army man from Kerry on a few weeks ago. The barman was telling him that he had served in the military as well. When the Kerryman started asking him about it the barman sort of clammed up and said 'oh it's a long story' or something like that and would say no more.
    Probably wise for him to zip it as any Irish soldier who had served in Lebanon as i think the Kerryman had would have no love for the Israeli army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

To summarise a long post there...... she's basically a ' headwreck'

No that wasnt the point, I was responding to the poster who threw a fit about someone else revealing a bit about her background.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Was it a new episode last night?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Honestly I don't know why anyone would go on this show :p
    Like rejection is a part of dating, just the way it goes. But who wants to potentially get rejected on a national level? - all because you can say you were on TV? ... That doesn't mean anything.

Like forget covid and lockdowns for a second. People meet off dating websites and go on blind dates all the time. No one recording it. Nothing to haunt you should your date go sideways.

Besides this is a TV program. Someone is going to be made an idiot, cocky, desperate through editing.

Like for the record I get the appeal of why someone would watch it. But as for appearing on it .... To hell with that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Honestly I don't know why anyone would go on this show :p
    Like rejection is a part of dating, just the way it goes. But who wants to potentially get rejected on a national level? - all because you can say you were on TV? ... That doesn't mean anything.

Like forget covid and lockdowns for a second. People meet off dating websites and go on blind dates all the time. No one recording it. Nothing to haunt you should your date go sideways.

Besides this is a TV program. Someone is going to be made an idiot, cocky, desperate through editing.

Like for the record I get the appeal of why someone would watch it. But as for appearing on it .... To hell with that :pac:

It is not really easy to edit someone who isn’t a d1ck into looking like one. In the initial selection interview, if you are genuine and don’t put yourself in a bad light, it’s more than likely the way you are portrayed in the final footage is going to be the way you are. If you act like a pr1ck you are going to come across as one.

In my opinion the people who got adverse reactions either denigrate their date, try too hard, are fake or cross a line. One way to guarantee that you will regret appearing on the show is if using it as a way to improve your social media likes or aspirations of a media career.

On a separate note I have seen the busker who was matched with the drummer busking in Dun Laoghaire. She had a posse of kids dancing as she played. Was just class.

joeguevara wrote: »
    It is not really easy to edit someone who isn’t a d1ck into looking like one.

Believe it or not, as anyone whose edited before will tell you, it actually really is. Consider, for example, that the audience assumes that if they’re watching a show and someone tells a joke that the reaction shot used is the reaction the other person had to the joke. So if you stick a reaction or facial expression in from an hour earlier where someone thought they smelled a fart, as far as the audience is concerned they’ve seen you die on your arse and can’t be convinced it didn’t happen. And when you know how to look for it you’ll see that this stuff is done CONSTANTLY on shows like this! It might not be malicious, but it actually has to be to condense a 2-hour date into a series of 6x 30-second clips with a coherent, clear narrative. They’ll need a shot to tell the audience “This is not going well” or “This person thinks it’s going well but little do they realise what that person is saying in the toilets” and it won’t necessarily be in sequence with actual events. That’s why they’ll have stuff like the waiters go over to see how things are going: that happens specifically to get context and exposition to help tell the story of the date, not because they’re just sound. Has a waiter ever come up to you mid-date and been like “Wellllll...???”

If you’re interested in seeing it illustrated really well, Charlie Brooker did an excellent skit you can look up on YouTube where he plays the exact same scene but cuts it two different ways to make it appear like someone is in love with him and then the same person hating him.

I hear what you’re saying, but you really do put your life in an editor’s hands when you go on shows like this. One soundbite that comes out the wrong way because they’ve been filling you with booze all night and you’re donezo because that soundbite is what they’re looking for.

Any time that I remember people that came across in a bad way was not really from editing but because they were just an unpleasant person. Also if an editor is going to maliciously edit it in a nefarious way, then it’s likely that the person brought it on themselves based on the initial interview or from their social media persona.

I could be mistaken but it’s rare that anyone says that they were subject of a hatchet job. There is usually enough real footage to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

Now that you mention it, there was an ex army man from Kerry on a few weeks ago. The barman was telling him that he had served in the military as well. When the Kerryman started asking him about it the barman sort of clammed up and said 'oh it's a long story' or something like that and would say no more.
    Probably wise for him to zip it as any Irish soldier who had served in Lebanon as i think the Kerryman had would have no love for the Israeli army.

I'm not sure they have love from anyone with their constant carry on. It really is despicable that people from around the world sign up for this and there is little outrage for fear of upsetting them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-57034237

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

This thread would be so much more fun if you had to have a pic in your bio to post

Any time that I remember people that came across in a bad way was not really from editing but because they were just an unpleasant person. Also if an editor is going to maliciously edit it in a nefarious way, then it’s likely that the person brought it on themselves based on the initial interview or from their social media persona.

I could be mistaken but it’s rare that anyone says that they were subject of a hatchet job. There is usually enough real footage to do this.

Again, I hear you, but the reality is you’re making that judgement through an edited lens. That’s the point I made earlier in saying, “You can’t tell the audience they didn’t just see that” even though the example I used to get there didn’t actually happen at all in reality.

Us humans are pretty primal when it comes to all this, for the most part, and we believe what we see unquestioned above all else. So if you see a video on social media of a policeman hitting someone with a baton, you think “that’s wrong and he’s abusing his power.” If you see a longer clip of someone attacking the policeman first, you say “hmm fair enough, maybe he was justified”. But if you then see a further, extended clip of that person attacking the policeman because he said/did something horrific to begin with, again your perspective changes.

For editing not to matter is to deny that things like context and perspective don’t matter. You say, for example, that even if an editor gave someone a hatchet job then they’d probably done something wrong to deserve it. Well what if the thing they’d done ‘wrong’ was unmatch said editor on Tinder months beforehand after getting sent an unsolicited dickpic? At the end of the day, the judgement is being made by fallible humans with their own biases, so it’s ignorant to assume nobody can get stitched up or a harsh edit: even if it’s not malicious and just because the production team had a deadline and needed to create *some* kind of compelling storyline from a pretty dull, standard 2-hour date.

And trust me, I’ve done bits on reality TV and also produced/edited/pitched. When you sit there with hours of footage, you don’t think: “How do I be fair on everyone involved?” Your thought pattern is solely, “How do I transform this bunch of tape into a fun story?”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Still Ill

FWIW I was the person who initially had a problem with their post. I don't doubt the sincerity of the post at all. I'm sure there was nothing malicious about it. What I objected to was them revealing details about her personal life. The poster complimented her on not referring to personal tragedy on the show. If she wanted that to be public, she would've made it public. It's not up to someone who knew her in school to reveal that on an internet forum.

leggo wrote: »
    Again, I hear you, but the reality is you’re making that judgement through an edited lens. That’s the point I made earlier in saying, “You can’t tell the audience they didn’t just see that” even though the example I used to get there didn’t actually happen at all in reality.

Us humans are pretty primal when it comes to all this, for the most part, and we believe what we see unquestioned above all else. So if you see a video on social media of a policeman hitting someone with a baton, you think “that’s wrong and he’s abusing his power.” If you see a longer clip of someone attacking the policeman first, you say “hmm fair enough, maybe he was justified”. But if you then see a further, extended clip of that person attacking the policeman because he said/did something horrific to begin with, again your perspective changes.

For editing not to matter is to deny that things like context and perspective don’t matter. You say, for example, that even if an editor gave someone a hatchet job then they’d probably done something wrong to deserve it. Well what if the thing they’d done ‘wrong’ was unmatch said editor on Tinder months beforehand after getting sent an unsolicited dickpic? At the end of the day, the judgement is being made by fallible humans with their own biases, so it’s ignorant to assume nobody can get stitched up or a harsh edit: even if it’s not malicious and just because the production team had a deadline and needed to create *some* kind of compelling storyline from a pretty dull, standard 2-hour date.

And trust me, I’ve done bits on reality TV and also produced/edited/pitched. When you sit there with hours of footage, you don’t think: “How do I be fair on everyone involved?” Your thought pattern is solely, “How do I transform this bunch of tape into a fun story?”

Remember the two girls from NI recently? They brought their mothers along with them.
    The guy who was paired up with one of them said on SM after the episode had aired that the producers had done a number on her with editing to make her look worse than she was.

I'm not sure they have love from anyone with their constant carry on. It really is despicable that people from around the world sign up for this and there is little outrage for fear of upsetting them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-57034237
    Sad but true. They are the only country in the world that you can end up in court, maybe prison for criticizing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I think you should watch a few editing videos on YouTube to broaden your mind.

I think you should watch a few editing videos on YouTube to broaden your mind.

Not sure what you mean by broaden mind? The point I was saying was in relation to a post asking why anyone would go on the show with the risk of being edited in a different way to the reality. I just said that they would have enough non edited material to show them up.

I am well aware of how editing works and I think that you misunderstood what I was saying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement