Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Got around to watching last night. Summary:
    1. Ballymun guy and Ardee girl - grand but not much to report. Good on him stopping a man from committing suicide - that's the sort of thing for which somebody will be forever grateful.
    2. Tipp man and crazy cat lady - I think she saw alarm bells ringing that he had cans and whatever on the way to the date. He
    3. 2 Dubs : He was an arrogant tosser and she was an self-obsessed narcissist - they matched them perfectly. I'd say she's looking for a man with plenty of cash so she can flute around with her Instagram followers and enjoy the likes. She'll find him no doubt!
    4. Young Cork lad and Dublin girl : He's 100% closet and she was lovely, but not much to report on the date either.

It was quite a boring episode and they could surely have ended the series on more of a high note. Still, I've great respect for anybody who puts themselves out in such a public way. Good luck KathleenGrant with the next series.

leggo wrote: »
    Also don’t see why they include people being stood up. The first time it was ever done on the UK one (fun fact; I know the guy who stood her up on that :pac:), it was dramatic because it had never been done before and we didn’t realise that could be a thing. But now it’s not dramatic. We’ve seen it done, it’s a blind date so it’s clearly nothing personal on the other person, so basically you’re just setting up and showing a humiliating moment another person went through on national TV.

There was no need to humiliate that girl.
    She looked a bit upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

She looked a bit upset.

If you were humiliated by someone not turning up to a BLIND date you would want to have a word with yourself. even if someone you already met stood you up, so what, there are far worse things that could happen.

If I get called to appear on the show I will 100% be stood up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

If I get called to appear on the show I will 100% be stood up.

How could you be? Nobody knows who you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

She looked a bit upset.

Probably done to provide context when they match her with the perfect guy on her next appearance. Why would it be humiliating anyways, more than likely the guy had an attack of nerves and couldn't go through with it. Unless he came to door took one look at her and doubled back. Now that would be humiliating...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭job seeker

4. Young Cork lad and Dublin girl : He's 100% closet and she was lovely, but not much to report on the date either.

Based on what? I wouldn’t have thought so..

pgj2015 wrote: »
    If you were humiliated by someone not turning up to a BLIND date you would want to have a word with yourself. even if someone you already met stood you up, so what, there are far worse things that could happen.

Bit of a difference getting a 50 down the pub as opposed to on national TV, with a HD camera in your face, immortalised on player and YouTube, for those that missed it "live".

Maybe have a word with yourself, if context and indeed empathy are not your forte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Only watching this week's episode now.

The blond girl with the cat seemed alright...she really should go first at the interview after if you say no really dickish move. The fella seemed like a bit of a party animal and a messer needs to grow up I think, but decent fella I'd say underneath it all.

The black girl and the cork guy seemed sweet together, he was punching a tad, but they had a nice kind of bashful thing going on.

The guy from Ballymun and his date were both lovely.
    Clear she wasn't into him romantically, she was upfront gotta respect that.

The Canadian girl was pretty and funny, shame someone stood her up.

The one from brown Thomas (bikini model?!) a bit old for a wanna be insta hun/tik tok (constant pics etc zzz)....and the self proclaimed ledgeeeee bag...Christ.
    Both absolutely painful... superficial....knobs...both of them...just awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Still Ill wrote: »
    FWIW I was the person who initially had a problem with their post. I don't doubt the sincerity of the post at all. I'm sure there was nothing malicious about it. What I objected to was them revealing details about her personal life. The poster complimented her on not referring to personal tragedy on the show. If she wanted that to be public, she would've made it public. It's not up to someone who knew her in school to reveal that on an internet forum.

Lol do you not think if she thought it would get her more followers shed have brought it up? The only reason she didn't is it wouldn't fit with her 'personal brand'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Bit of a difference getting a 50 down the pub as opposed to on national TV, with a HD camera in your face, immortalised on player and YouTube, for those that missed it "live".

Maybe have a word with yourself, if context and indeed empathy are not your forte.

Once again I fail to see why anyone would be humiliated over a random person who you never met, not turning up for a date. it would be like being on room to improve and dermot bannon not turning up on day one. no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Lol do you not think if she thought it would get her more followers shed have brought it up? The only reason she didn't is it wouldn't fit with her 'personal brand'.

No.

That's a pretty disgusting thing to say.

'Lol'? Do you realise you're actually talking about a real person who might read that?

Once again I fail to see why anyone would be humiliated over a random person who you never met, not turning up for a date. it would be like being on room to improve and dermot bannon not turning up on day one. no big deal.

Rubbish analogy TBF.

if you cant see how being stood up on TV is not humiliating, well, that's your take.
    I'm doubt I'm going to convince you to change your mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

There’s nothing personally humiliating in it, like it doesn’t say anything about you as a person. But have you no value for your own time? So you send in an application, go through an interview process, make a commitment, tell people you know, get ready for your date then...it’s a no-show.

Not only that but now all of that time wasted is filmed and you’re being painted as this sob story for the nation to see because you’ve already agreed to them being able to film whatever happens because the producers saw the same thing done in the UK before and thought it was cool, no other reason. You can’t control the first part, fair enough, the second part could be avoided though.

I could personally do without every person I know texting me like I’m some big sympathy case, having to tell everyone I told I was going on beforehand what happened, then the entire country saying “Awww god...” about me. Maybe you’d be into all that attention, I dunno, but it wouldn’t be for me tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Rubbish analogy TBF.

if you cant see how being stood up on TV is not humiliating, well, that's your take.
    I'm doubt I'm going to convince you to change your mind.

I think it's a different story when it's a blind date. It's not like they didn't turn up because they had second thoughts about who they're going to see. Then that would be somewhat humiliating.

• I see there's an episode scheduled for Thursday....is that the missing one or a repeat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The missing one was the last one they showed. I'd say it's the usual 'review' of the current series, probably get this week and next week out of the highlights (and lowlights).

TBH I think they did an excellent job this series with matching up people, especially the over-30's and up who were on it. So looking forward to seeing them and not the narcisstic ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I see there's an episode scheduled for Thursday....is that the missing one or a repeat?

I think there was an episode earlier in the series that wasn't aired?

• Yes there was a week where they repeated an old episode instead of showing a new one. I believe the somewhat cryptic reason was that it wasn't shown for "operational reasons".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Yes there was a week where they repeated an old episode instead of showing a new one. I believe the somewhat cryptic reason was that it wasn't shown for "operational reasons".

They played it the week after, but they removed one of the couples that was on the preview for whatever reason.

• Oh right! Very confusing. I don't watch it myself but record it for my Mum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭YellowLead

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Wow!!! So happy for them. Only 8 months together though! I guess for some when they know they know....

YellowLead wrote: »
    Wow!!! So happy for them. Only 8 months together though! I guess for some when they know they know....

Well done, fair play to them & BEST OF LUCK TO THEM.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

YellowLead wrote: »

Surely the show wasn't filmed 8 months ago. That would mean they met in October.

• Advertisement

Surely the show wasn't filmed 8 months ago. That would mean they met in October.

I’m just getting that from the article, didn’t work it out myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I knew a girl who was a supporter or whatever you call it for a dater, think it was August or September they were filming. Guess they went on a few more dates before they made it official.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Both seemed like nice people, your man was spot on even though he looked like a bit of a tool on first glance. Good for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Amazing. One of my favourite couples ever. Cool as individuals and seemed to just bounce off each other. Effortless and instantly could see they blew each other away. Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭dobman88

Is the show on rte2 tonight a new series? Or an old repeat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Has to be an old one. They usually film in July/August and broadcast in Feb/Mar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Seems to be an old episode of the English series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,447 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well I just looked ot up on Wiki there and according to them there has been 5 seasons of it and RTE have this down as a 6th season so it must be new.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Agreed - seems to fit the blurb for Season 6 Episode 1 of the Channel 4 (UK) version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭jellybear

New series starting Thursday at 9.30pm on RTE2 and on the RTE player.

How sad is my life that I can’t wait 😃🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭jellybear

Ditto 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Hughie is back. What a great reality tv character he is. If you haven’t seen it, you need to watch his appearance on Podge and Rodge. It’s maybe the funniest 10mins I ever see on Irish tv, up there with the Irish apprentice when Michelle Heaton tripped. It seems very difficult to get this Hughie interview tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭job seeker

This is my absolute favourite thing about January/February! It really makes these months bearable!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 garybarnes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Great so if that Canadian grizzly bear barman is gone.

Haha......he has a VERY LOW BAR to reach!!!!!!!! The pontificating & random "wisdom" of the hairy one used to do my head in

Is new bar man gay?

Aw..First dates!!..

It always makes me believe in love briefly again..

What's with the leg of pants being 2inches above the ankle??.....is that a 'thing' now days???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It's like Irene from Home and Away on a date with one of the Healy-Rae's.

• Advertisement

Two nut cases together, could be perfect! Or a clash...

Advertisement