Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭makingmecrazy

I was dreading the Irish version of this as anything remade here isnt usually great but I'm thoroughly enjoying this series.

Cork lass was a bland head wrecker, looks never make up for dull. Michelle was great craic and the seperated dad(the big guy)seemed lovely. Wonder why they didnt show the catch up on them?
    On the paying halves?
    I think if you like them and want to see them again, allow them to pay. It gives you the chance to return the favour the next time and avoids that awkward "No no Mary, you're moneys no good here" squabbling at the table(I HATE that :D).
    If you have decided that you wont be meeting them again, you should absolutely pay half. Not very nice if you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Yeah it's really been good. The one criticism I'd have is the "what happened after the show" bit before the credits.

I always look forward to that in the UK version. These dates were weeks ago right? Even months? How hard would it be for the producers to get an accurate assessment of where the couple stands, maybe even a current selfie like they do in the UK version. Have all the Irish ones just been total disasters post dinner?

The barman could do with changing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭makingmecrazy

The older gentleman was a howl as well.
    "Do you fancy a bit of bondage?" :D:D
    The poor old dears face(I don't think she got the dry Dublin sense of humour)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I'd say he was a nightmare. She looked frightened in the post dinner chats! Even all the people around him in the restaurant looked like they wanted to get away from him as quickly as possible. "how's it going over there?!" "jaysus what are they eating?!"

• Yeah she had a strange choice of words. "That's as far as it goes" or something like that. I got the impression she was freaked out by him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

Yeah she had a strange choice of words. "That's as far as it goes" or something like that. I got the impression she was freaked out by him.

She said "that's where it stops". Which was a very "I am putting my foot down on this nonsense" way of saying she didn't want to see him again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Never a good idea to mention bondage on a first date. Wait for the second one at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

You have to give kudos to all the participants though.

Going on a first date can be nervous at the best of times. To go on one with the whole country watching you must be terrifying.

So we shouldn't be that harsh on them. They give us a good laugh if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

They should definitely give updates on all the couples! That's the whole point of the show isn't it, to see if something develops?!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Mindset

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I think the women consistently not paying their share of the meal is s a really poor refection of the women concerned, whats worse is the half arsed attempts they make to pay half, its usually very insincere. Like the man can't stop you taking out your purse and putting your money on the table, you have just met this man and allow him to pay for your meal, even if you want to see him again, you should pay your share.

I dont know how they did it on the uk version but I think the series producers should take care of the food part of the meal. The couple can just split the booze.
    Maybe im old fashioned but i still thinks its nice for the guy to pay but i also get that girls demand equality but only on the things that suit them. The whole paying for dinner thing goes back to when men were the main breadwinners.

There should be a silent rule with first dates, if the guy offers to pay then he wants to see you again, if you dont than dont accept the offer and insist on going halves. That should be the signal, but then its a show so they cant do the bit at ghe end.
    My head hurts just thinking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

I think Cork girl was just really well on it.

On the subject of the bill, would ye girls not feel awful guilty if someone insisted on paying the bill if you knew you never wanted to see them again? I guess them not having "the talk" til after makes it more difficult, but surely they could give the guy a heads up or a "no really, I insist, I don't think we'll be seeing each other again" or something!

I hate not going halves even if I AM seeing them again.

It just seems really quaint... I have a job, I can pay for my dinner. It's not necessarily a feminist thing in my view, I just feel horrifically awkward. I'm a bit weird about money tho so maybe it's just me.

Indo article on the guy who said he was 39 but looked 49. (he's now 40 apparently).

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/first-dates-star-mark-casey-women-keep-recognising-me-and-its-caused-arguments-between-me-and-my-partner-34736480.html

The article portrays him as someone who thinks he's a celeb or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

As someone put it, on a Saturday night, lets say for argument sake in The Black Door, you would see dozens of girls in a figure hugging dress and an attractive face where you have the same reaction! Therefore, in that respect, she is is generic! I assume thats what the poster meant!
    she is good looking, I live in blackdoor and house on the weekend, like you say, you frequent those places and she is standard...

yes she is fit, but she is ten a penny in a lot of places in Dublin...
    Brian and Sarah were perfect for each other, two arrogant obnoxious tools imho
    I could see why she might be a tad! Brian on the other hand... NOPE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

glasso wrote: »
    Indo article on the guy who said he was 39 but looked 49. (he's now 40 apparently).

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/first-dates-star-mark-casey-women-keep-recognising-me-and-its-caused-arguments-between-me-and-my-partner-34736480.html

I don't think he thinks he's a celeb from that. He just mentioned that people recognise him.

Odd article, looks like the Indo have been stalking peoples FB pages again. Or else the local rag had a chat with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Red Kev wrote: »
    I don't think he thinks he's a celeb from that. He just mentioned that people recognise him.

Odd article, looks like the Indo have been stalking peoples FB pages again. Or else the local rag had a chat with him.

I said the article portrays him as if he thinks so. It's indo typical crap.

smash wrote: »

“I went on it for the laugh. I always watch these sort of car crash TV shows so I thought it would be a good idea."

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

glasso wrote: »

He didnt come across on the show as the full shilling to be honest and these quotes kind of validate that line of thinking.

He didnt come across on the show as the full shilling to be honest and these quotes kind of validate that line of thinking.

yeah walking up and down doing karate patterns and fist strikes, and the bleedin age of em. but I suppose that's what you get when you give FREE TV face time to the deluded.

rusty cole wrote: »
    yeah walking up and down doing karate patterns and fist strikes, and the bleedin age of em. but I suppose that's what you get when you give FREE TV face time to the deluded.

He refers to someone who he has been on 3 or 4 dates with as his "partner" in that article. run for the hills woman.

‘Women keep recognising me and it’s caused arguments between me and my partner"

"We’ve only seen each other four times"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Season finale tonight. Probably the shortest season ever... 4/5 episodes?

• Quality over quantity.

Quality over quantity.

only the first episode was quality.

med student has his wish then. spoiled for choice in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

Miss curvy Ireland. Didn't know this was a thing, let alone a thing of note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Jesus those gay guys are awkward together.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Stick 2 lads my age together and there like remember McGyver and Dukes of Hazard...Pokemon wtf???
    Kids of today will be like remember Hodor....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

"I'm gay, merry christmas" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Whoever writes the lines for the maitre d' needs to lay off the fortune cookies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Find it hard to believe your one is only 25 - looks like she has had work done already.

Advertisement