Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

rusty cole wrote: »
    Re : The old couple, he was so in awe of her that we heard nothing about him, watch it again, not a peep, twas all her her her. with his accent, his demeanor and his appearance, he reminded me of hannibal lecter.... On an unrelated matter, I've given great thought to EATING YOUR FACE!!!!!

that leitrim girl was lovely but if the guy (frank lampard) was struggling still with his accident, me thinks the researcher had it in bad taste putting them together because her brother is in the same boat albeit more recently and sounds to be more severe too. they were really lovely together, good for them.

gay couple YAWN!! Gay pride..but not really..well sometimes...but not really!!
    nice lads but less of the it's soooo tough being gay, yeah so Panti says, just get on with it.. but still they were fine not like some of the yokes peddle out in other episodes for shock value.

41 year old lad...shave head, grow beard, improve wardrobe and you'll be back. She was nice too, they were just unsuited, great bewbs!

was that spacer young wan really 25??? also why did sir Rapalot refer to his home as north american... it's Canada no?? she was typical of the type who signed up to be filmed and then maybe asked to go on other shows...a flute basically...poor guy , a rapper that couldn't freestyle his way out of a shyte date even in the end.

Harsh and unnecessary. Sorry you find it so boring, but being gay in Ireland is far from easy, even in 2019. Just because we have marriage equality now doesn't mean that everything's all rosy. As long as people like you continue to post stuff like this, it's going to continue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

why did sir Rapalot refer to his home as north american... it's Canada no??

Because he is, in the same way I could describe myself as European, North America is the continent that contains nearly 50 countries/territories, including Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

dee_mc wrote: »
    The 41 year old with the moustache would be very attractive if he lost the tache and probably shaved his head - he seemed like a really nice man.
    I felt sorry for him in the sense that his date kind of led him up the garden path - for example, what was the point in making encouraging enough noises at the idea of a silent retreat, then heading off to the bathroom to ring her mate and have a cackle about it? Maybe if she had just said 'silent retreat? That wouldn't be my cup of tea at all!' he might've copped that they weren't suited.

I would actually quite like the thought of a silent retreat. Maybe not for a full week but for a few days definitely. The women seemed to think she was in her 20's the way she was talking.

mystic86 wrote: »
    Because he is, in the same way I could describe myself as European, North America is the continent that contains nearly 50 countries/territories, including Canada.

yeah I suppose personally I just say I'm Irish, the European part can be worked out by said enquirers knowledge of geography. I thought it weird that's all because I know a few Canadians who hate being called Americans, so I'd have assumed he'd refer to his origin as per country and not continent, just seems a bit odd that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I would actually quite like the thought of a silent retreat. Maybe not for a full week but for a few days definitely. The women seemed to think she was in her 20's the way she was talking.

She looked like a drinker someone who spends there weekends in the pub , Having a heart attack at 35 kind of lends to the thought that she probably partied a lot an didn't take care of herself, So to put her with a guy who does silent retreats seems a bit odd,

To be fair both seemed like nice people just not a good match

• Advertisement

She looked like a drinker someone who spends there weekends in the pub , Having a heart attack at 35 kind of lends to the thought that she probably partied a lot an didn't take care of herself, So to put her with a guy who does silent retreats seems a bit odd,

To be fair both seemed like nice people just not a good match

Really?? as opposed to having genetically high cholesterol? or a predisposition to underlying heart issues as and up to that point unknown??

having a heart attack at 35 lends to something much more genetic that partying I think.

Really?? as opposed to having genetically high cholesterol? or a predisposition to underlying heart issues as and up to that point unknown??

having a heart attack at 35 lends to something much more genetic that partying I think.

oh of course but she came across as being a boozer, nothing wrong with that and of course I could be wrong but the impression I got from her,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Two young very commendable men,so brave and honest.

i really look foward to the day when we live in a fair equal and tolerant society so two gay women or
    men can sit down on a show like this and not have their conversation consumed by their hurt,their 'coming out' struggles
    their pain,their sexuality,their victimisation,predudice and the plight they've experienced in life,
    hopefully things are changing.

There is still a nasty strain of homophobia in Ireland,particularly in rural,provincial areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Two young very commendable gay men,so brave and honest.

i really look foward to the day when we live in a fair equal and tolerant society so two gay women or
    men can sit down on a show like this and not have their conversation consumed by their hurt,their 'coming out' struggles
    their pain,their sexuality,their victimisation,predudice and the plight they've experienced in life,
    hopefully things are changing.

There is still a nasty strain of homophobia in Ireland,particularly in rural,provincial areas.

I completely agree with everything you say and it shows how hard it is. But is it really first date (I mean in general rather than the tv show) material to talk about. People usually don’t talk about struggles and hardships they have had. Now it is common ground that they shared and something they could bond over. On the other hand it is a platform where a lot of viewers can hear information that they mightn’t be exposed to. But the point of the show isn’t a platform. Now I don’t agree with the poster who called it ‘yawn’ but I would have preferred if it wasn’t so heavy because that would be closer to a real first date. But I do think it’s great that they felt comfortable with each other and indeed the audience to share. But I wouldn’t go into all my struggles on a first date, whether in real life or a tv show,

joeguevara wrote: »
    I completely agree with everything you say and it shows how hard it is. But is it really first date (I mean in general rather than the tv show) material to talk about. People usually don’t talk about struggles and hardships they have had. Now it is common ground that they shared and something they could bond over. On the other hand it is a platform where a lot of viewers can hear information that they mightn’t be exposed to. But the point of the show isn’t a platform. Now I don’t agree with the poster who called it ‘yawn’ but I would have preferred if it wasn’t so heavy because that would be closer to a real first date. But I do think it’s great that they felt comfortable with each other and indeed the audience to share. But I wouldn’t go into all my struggles on a first date, whether in real life or a tv show,

thats a fair point,although the other couple went into fairly intense conversation too ,car crash,head trauma,comas.

i generally dislike the show anyways,it can be very cringe worthy,and difficult to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

i generally dislike the show anyways,it can be very cringe worthy,and difficult to watch.
    Who is forcing you to watch , point the bad boy out and I will stop them for you

Who is forcing you to watch , point the bad boy out and I will stop them for you

myself,im forcing myself to watch it,im a masochist.

excuse me now,i have to polish nipple clamps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Just catching up on this weeks episode now. My God, that American lady is absolutely STUNNING. If I look like that in about 20 something years I won't complain.

i really look foward to the day when we live in a fair equal and tolerant society

But surely we do ?

Didn't we see in the Vote for gay marriage that we live in a country where its is accepted by the vast majority ,

In life weather its your sexuality , political views or anything really there will always be the people who ridicule or dislike you because of there own flaws , NO ONE is accepted by everyone ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i really look foward to the day when we live in a fair equal and tolerant society

But surely we do ?

Didn't we see in the Vote for gay marriage that we live in a country where its is accepted by the vast majority ,

In life weather its your sexuality , political views or anything really there will always be the people who ridicule or dislike you because of there own flaws , NO ONE is accepted by everyone ,

It is not a question of being accepted by everybody. It is a question of not being discriminated against, or being publicly attacked, for who you are. We are still some way from that.

It is not a question of being accepted by everybody. It is a question of not being discriminated against, or being publicly attacked, for who you are. We are still some way from that.

People get attacked for all sorts of reason and mostly for no reason ,
    There will always be di*kheads and there always will be,
    Just pointing out as a society its pretty clear the over whelming vast majority accept gay people in Ireland ,

For instance so far on this season the person to get the most of abuse or dislike online is probably the lad from kerry ,

People do get attacked for all sorts of reasons but until people get attacked because they are straight then what you are trying to say doesnt really add up.

Just pointing out as a society its pretty clear the over whelming vast majority accept gay people in Ireland ,

I dont think that majority is as overwhelming as you believe.

For instance so far on this season the person to get the most of abuse or dislike online is probably the lad from kerry ,

Almost 40% of the population voted no to marriage equality. If that figure was closer to, say, 4%, then your point would have more merit.

People do get attacked for all sorts of reasons but until people get attacked because they are straight then what you are trying to say doesnt really add up.

I dont think that majority is as overwhelming as you believe.

Id disagree, there is always dickheads and always will be but the majority of Irish people accept gay people

I was attacked once in the City for no reason at all never even seen them coming , One of the attackers called me a baldy p*ick during the attack do you reckon he hated bald people or just assh*les causing trouble ,

Almost 40% of the population voted no to marriage equality. If that figure was closer to, say, 40%, then your point would have more merit.

Fair point

Although its was 62% turn out at the poll's , I'd imagine most no voters actually voted and a higher % of Yes voters didn't. But anyway fair point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,327 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I agree entirely and unfortunately I have personal experience with the same unfortunately and have the scar to prove it.

I thought the two young guys were lovely, they obviously have had tough times, but they seemed a good match and both seemed in a happier place now.

People do tend to overshare on "first date" the tv show more than they would on a normal first date though but that is the format, interview before after etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

dee_mc wrote: »
    The 41 year old with the moustache would be very attractive if he lost the tache and probably shaved his head - he seemed like a really nice man.
    I felt sorry for him in the sense that his date kind of led him up the garden path - for example, what was the point in making encouraging enough noises at the idea of a silent retreat, then heading off to the bathroom to ring her mate and have a cackle about it? Maybe if she had just said 'silent retreat? That wouldn't be my cup of tea at all!' he might've copped that they weren't suited.

The disappointing part of this show compared to the UK version is the lack of age diversity. It seems to be far too much couples in their 20''s.

By this pairing, it seems like they have a serious shortfall in applicants late 30's/ 40''s. I can't see how or why they were matched otherwise.

Almost 40% of the population voted no to marriage equality. If that figure was closer to, say, 40%, then your point would have more merit.

of that 40% say, how many are old and set in their west of Ireland ways and religious beliefs and how many are club carrying gay bashers!! also the no voters were not anti gay, they were pro conventional marriage in their interpretation of it.

Ireland is more tolerant of other lifestyles than some like to make out. Sure a lot of attacks are just on lads who are acting like eejits and happen to be gay. sure as many straight lads are on the receiving end of weekly bashings just for walking down the street alone but once it's a gay person, then the motive is homophobia which is not every case if you do the maths. also even yer man Panti said his friends can be embarrassingly over the top in public and that's from a lad who stuck beads up his ar$se on stage FFS!

of that 40% say, how many are old and set in their west of Ireland ways and religious beliefs and how many are club carrying gay bashers!! also the no voters were not anti gay, they were pro conventional marriage in their interpretation of it.

Ireland is more tolerant of other lifestyles than some like to make out. Sure a lot of attacks are just on lads who are acting like eejits and happen to be gay. sure as many straight lads are on the receiving end of weekly bashings just for walking down the street alone but once it's a gay person, then the motive is homophobia which is not every case if you do the maths. also even yer man Panti said his friends can be embarrassingly over the top in public and that's from a lad who stuck beads up his ar$se on stage FFS!
    I think Ireland is a lot better than it used to be definitely, but it still has a way to go, but hopefully it will get there.
    Whatever a gay man or womans experience is in ireland currently, I feel lucky I am not a transexual person, they can have an extremely tough time.

Well in my personal experience I was walking home literally around the corner from my apartment, with my partner, we were called f@ggots and I was slashed in the face with a stanley knife does that pass your criteria for a homophobic attack?
    Or was I just acting the eejit but I happened to be gay?

I'm not sure how you think that helps your point. And, please, do the maths for us. I'm intrigued.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's all well and good pointing towards legislation and polling as an indicator of support towards gay relationships, but that's not the same IMO as normalising them - and part of that is growing the cultural norm that gay couples being affectionate in public is no big deal.

I'm not a gay man, but I"d hazard a small guess that many would exercise caution & circumspect behaviour in public places, when it comes to where and when a couple can show simple affection to each other.

Shows like First Dates are doing the mundane work of normalising two grown adults sharing affections, with it appearing - as it should - the most normal, empathic thing in the world. Even in TV fiction, gay relationships are nearly universally chaste, because heaven forfend two men kiss on TV (admittedly a lot of that comes from US TV and its own share of cultural issues)

The referendum was great, and enshrines plenty of legal freedoms, but that doesn't equate to changed minds or attitudes; by that logic racism ended the moment the Jim Crow laws were scrapped in the US, but ... yeah. Sexism didn't end the moment women got the vote. etc.

gmisk wrote: »
    I think Ireland is a lot better than it used to be definitely, but it still has a way to go, but hopefully it will get there.
    Whatever a gay man or womans experience is in ireland currently, I feel lucky I am not a transexual person, they can have an extremely tough time.

Well in my personal experience I was walking home literally around the corner from my apartment, with my partner, we were called f@ggots and I was slashed in the face with a stanley knife does that pass your criteria for a homophobic attack?
    Or was I just acting the eejit but I happened to be gay?

That shocking and absolutely not on in any sense,

Do you think the same people would have attacked anyone who happened to walk by or went out with the intent of slashing someone simply because they where gay ?

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's all well and good pointing towards legislation and polling as an indicator of support towards gay relationships, but that's not the same IMO as normalising them - and part of that is growing the cultural norm that gay couples being affectionate in public is no big deal.

I'm not a gay man, but I"d hazard a small guess that many would exercise caution & circumspect behaviour in public places, when it comes to where and when a couple can show simple affection to each other.

Shows like First Dates are doing the mundane work of normalising two grown adults sharing affections, with it appearing - as it should - the most normal, empathic thing in the world. Even in TV fiction, gay relationships are nearly universally chaste, because heaven forfend two men kiss on TV (admittedly a lot of that comes from US TV and its own share of cultural issues)

The referendum was great, and enshrines plenty of legal freedoms, but that doesn't equate to changed minds or attitudes; by that logic racism ended the moment the Jim Crow laws were scrapped in the US, but ... yeah. Sexism didn't end the moment women got the vote. etc.

No one is saying it's ended,
    Unfortunately as you've pointed there will always be idiots who have issues with other people no matter what there sexuality or race or so on is , There will always be someone who has an issues with you no matter who you are, ,
    All we where saying is that in Ireland now the vast Majority of people are ok with others being gay,

I'm not sure how you think that helps your point. And, please, do the maths for us. I'm intrigued.

well it's a fact that young men particularly are being targeted by gangs in general, you only have to turn on the TV and some young lad is in a coma weekly, the poor guy in Lucan sticks in my mind
    so then take the % of people walking round who are gay and are young men and surely they'll be the victim of the same thing. So when a straight lad is hurt we don't say it was a straight bashing, it was an unprovoked violent attack end of story. If you watched prime time ;last week you'll see a huge spike in Trans people now too, so there's more Trans people going round which means they're likely to suffer the same fate. it doesn't really mean they were stopped and asked if they were gay but once they're interviewed after then it's a homophobic attack, I'm just saying it cannot be all of the time based on that rationale, I'm not trying to derail a thread over it though.

• Advertisement

That shocking and absolutely not on in any sense,

Do you think the same people would have attacked anyone who happened to walk by or went out with the intent of slashing someone simply because they where gay ?
    Who knows really, they never caught either of them, but the language used suggests it was targeted I would think, the gardai thought same.

Look a horrible unprovoked attack is a horrible attack whatever way it is dressed up, I think it is just generally more likely you are going to get attacked if you are "gay" as opposed to if you are straight.

Anyway back on topic :)
    This is why I find it really heartening to see two seemingly very sound young gay men on First Dates and it doesnt seem to be a big deal, I wished I had their confidence when I was that age!

well it's a fact that young men particularly are being targeted by gangs in general, you only have to turn on the TV and some young lad is in a coma weekly, the poor guy in Lucan sticks in my mind
    so then take the % of people walking round who are gay and are young men and surely they'll be the victim of the same thing. So when a straight lad is hurt we don't say it was a straight bashing, it was an unprovoked violent attack end of story. If you watched prime time ;last week you'll see a huge spike in Trans people now too, so there's more Trans people going round which means they're likely to suffer the same fate. it doesn't really mean they were stopped and asked if they were gay but once they're interviewed after then it's a homophobic attack, I'm just saying it cannot be all of the time based on that rationale, I'm not trying to derail a thread over it though.

What you are missing, and where you maths falls down, is that gay and trans peoples are subject to homophobic and transphobic attacks ON TOP of the assaults that anybody in society is subject to.

gmisk wrote: »
    Who knows really, they never caught either of them, but the language used suggests it was targeted I would think, the gardai thought same.

Look a horrible unprovoked attack is a horrible attack whatever way it is dressed up, I think it is just generally more likely you are going to get attacked if you are "gay" as opposed to if you are straight.

Just on the language used I wouldn't take that into account at all.,
    As I said early I myself was attacked at random and one of the attacker's called me a "bald prick" numerous times , Not for one second do I think he is going around attacking just bald people,

I'd imagine most attacks are by a*sholes who are out to attack anyone and some times they come across gay people ,Again obviously there are some attack solely based on sexuality it does happen no doubt ,

You are correct it is horrible and it it is awful no matter what the reason and back to the topic at hand,

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭pgj2015

any chance of keeping to the topic? first dates Ireland the TV show, not a debate about same sex marriage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

So the other night I said there had been no attention seeking or craving camera time as there had been no gay couples in the first few episodes and i expected the lad with the pink hair to do exactly that, I was happy to be wrong but here we are, people completely derailing a thread about a TV show with their "woe is me" shtick.

Please take it elsewhere and leave the rest of us to discuss what for most, is a guilty pleasure and basically rubbish TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

2 things I've noticed about this show since the start......

1. There's always one guy who whips his top off every series in the opening credits, this series has a big hairy ape in the nip :p

2. A loud mouthed middle aged Woman.....who doesn't get the match and the date is mortified :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I thought the guy with the pink hair's suit was lovely. Very striking.

TBH I was very surprised anyone who would go on a silent retreat would sign up for the show.

Loved the American lady and the gardener.

So the other night I said there had been no attention seeking or craving camera time as there had been no gay couples in the first few episodes and i expected the lad with the pink hair to do exactly that, I was happy to be wrong but here we are, people completely derailing a thread about a TV show with their "woe is me" shtick.

Please take it elsewhere and leave the rest of us to discuss what for most, is a guilty pleasure and basically rubbish TV.

Because only gay couples seek attention on First Dates.

Sometimes even "rubbish tv" can bring other issues to the fore. For example on this show we've had people talking about mental health issues, long term illnesses, and in the case of the two gay guys, dealing with being gay in a society which isn't always particularly welcoming to them. This conversation only started when a poster basically scoffed and mocked them for daring to talk about it, and when me and others reminded them that actually, they're telling the truth. Life is still quite hard for gay people in this country, as some of the posts on this thread show, it didn't all magically change with the referendum result. One poster even recalled how he was attacked and slashed with a knife... which you then dismissed as "woe is me shtick". Which basically kinda reinforced the point that me and others were trying to make.. but I'm not sure you got that :) Anyway, this is my last post on the topic, sorry for inadvertently contributing to taking the thread off topic. I know it's only Boards, and not a place you can always expect a lot from, but some things shouldn't be let slide.

Just catching up on this weeks episode now. My God, that American lady is absolutely STUNNING. If I look like that in about 20 something years I won't complain.

Am I wrong to be a bit cynical though? Seems a bit too good to be true that she'd really be 65. Not that her date is complaining either way though I'm sure :pac:

Anybody know if any of the successful dates from any series are actually still together? I know in the British one people have gotten engaged, and there's even a First Dates baby, but I've never heard any long term follow up from the Irish one.

Am I wrong to be a bit cynical though? Seems a bit too good to be true that she'd really be 65. Not that her date is complaining either way though I'm sure :pac:

Anybody know if any of the successful dates from any series are actually still together? I know in the British one people have gotten engaged, and there's even a First Dates baby, but I've never heard any long term follow up from the Irish one.

I agree that she's too good to be true, she just seemed a bit me me me and he was to, you you you!!! which however suited them both, she was gorgeous looking though but yea id say over 65 like a really maintained monied italian moll!!! monica bellucci is 55 and nigella lawson is just 60 so id say so, 65 she actually could be older.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Good grief... this first pair are paaaaaainful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,551 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Let me guess your name, wtf like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Good grief... this first pair are paaaaaainful

Kindred spirits I feel though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Make that a large glass of whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So here is a question. Is there anyone on ''First Dates'' that you have seen that you have went hum would not have mind meeting her/him and becoming friends or even dating?

I know there has been a few I would not have minded meeting but can only think of one so far this season and that person was on the first episode of this season.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

They seem to be involving the barman more this series.

Which I don't like as his whole philosophical 'wisdom' speil is grating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

"Guess"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭4Ad

I couldn't understand him either..mumbling away.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

I would get up and leave if someone started singing on a date like that.

I'm out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Guess everything?

• Advertisement
Advertisement