Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Ah come off it. He looked like yer man off Bo Selecta.

I've said it before but it seriously depresses me how few women pay their way on this programme.

Called feminism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭4Ad

obi604 wrote: »
    4Ad wrote: »
    Skaggin' after Diceys...Gas

What’s skaggin?

Very drunk..not chemically enhanced..
    She'd never say that on TV...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭KevRossi

First straight night, Twitter is probably on fire with rage.

First night was straight as well IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I thought Gavin and Ciara were a lovely couple although I had no idea what either of them was saying.

Nice to see that Dan and Rachel have kept in contact too. She seemed really nice and I hope it works out for them or he finds another lovely Woman to be with.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In all the episodes I've seen, I don't recall any of the final summaries ever suggesting a match went further than "...they went for drinks". Not that I'm expecting wedding bells or the like, but am a little surprised no date has ever grown into ... I dunno, a holiday together or some other milestone. Maybe I missed them? I think there's about 6 months between filming and broadcast, plenty of time for some development in one or two...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jane_Dough

pixelburp wrote: »
    In all the episodes I've seen, I don't recall any of the final summaries ever suggesting a match went further than "...they went for drinks". Not that I'm expecting wedding bells or the like, but am a little surprised no date has ever grown into ... I dunno, a holiday together or some other milestone. Maybe I missed them? I think there's about 6 months between filming and broadcast, plenty of time for some development in one or two...

A guy I work with was on it last week and he only filmed it 2.5 months ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Did anyone else feel like the ginger guy's date was extremely rushed? Like it was barely a few minutes and they were already being asked if they wanted to see each other again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

The Galway girl was a stunner (not the blue shave one), she seemed a bit elusive but said yes in the end so maybe she was going for quiet mystery or something.

The Dublin taxi driver is a ride. So smiley, reminded me a bit of that other ride in Sweet Home Alabama. She was caaaked in make-up (orange eyeshadow should be criminalised) but sure he liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The Galway girl was a stunner (not the blue shave one), she seemed a bit elusive but said yes in the end so maybe she was going for quiet mystery or something.

The Dublin taxi driver is a ride. So smiley, reminded me a bit of that other ride in Sweet Home Alabama. She was caaaked in make-up (orange eyeshadow should be criminalised) but sure he liked it.

I dont think he spent a lot of time looking at her eyeshadow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

She looked like Donald Trump's love child with the state of her fake tan, did you see her hands as well?

I thought she came across quite badly and standoffish, to the point of being rude or insincere. Was shocked when she said yes to meeting again, not sure if that was just for the cameras though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

pixelburp wrote: »

Id like to see a bit where we go back to all the first episodes for an update see if anyone actually went anywhere

The Galway girl was a stunner

thought she was fairly well on at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I thought the Clondalkin chick was great. Good laugh, not up herself and is physically attractive.

I wonder how many of the negative comments about her on here are from other women around her age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

ligerdub wrote: »
    I thought the Clondalkin chick was great. Good laugh, not up herself and is physically attractive.

I wonder how many of the negative comments about her on here are from other women around her age.

I really loved her 'God yeah' comment when asked if she fancied him.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

ligerdub wrote: »

was there negative comments?

Yeah she was class. Perfect match, I'd imagine they're engaged by this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

De Bhál wrote: »

I know "normal " isn't a thing but they seemed the most normal couple on it so far,
    Just both very down to earth , very much your average Joe's which isn't an insult but a compliment ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

De Bhál wrote: »

Not that I’ve seen? Do people just assume there will be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,327 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

If your going to say no..don't let the other person go first....you tosser, I am looking at you in the hat baldy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I thought the Dublin couple were the nicest. Both of them were very down to earth.

The trying too hard to be cool bisexual was painful. If any of the 3 guys that she was previously engaged to were watching I'd say they were thinking they had a lucky escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

I thought the Dublin couple were the nicest. Both of them were very down to earth.

The trying too hard to be cool bisexual was painful. If any of the 3 guys that she was previously engaged to were watching I'd say they were thinking they had a lucky escape.

Yeah. The bisexual - if you got on the wrong side of her could be an absolute wagon I’d say. No wonder there is 3 previous. Unbelievably hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I have read a lot of people giving out about girls not paying their way on the date. Get where everyone is coming from but if you just accept that 90% of first dates these days the bloke pays. It’s not sexist. It’s not a show of masculinity. It’s not bad. It’s just what happens. And if he does it’s not because he is expecting a second date. It’s not because he is expecting a kiss or more. It’s just the done thing.

If people accept that then there won’t be so much negative posts about feminism, equality, girls taking advantage, lads been taken for a ride. Sometimes it’s just nice to accept it for what it is.

When people don’t worry about who pays the bill they can then enjoy watching the date. Sometimes it’s fun. Sometimes it’s cringe. Sometimes it looks like it was real. Sometimes you know the producers put two together just to clash. I’m not saying how I know but a good few of the dates would have been filmed around halloween.

Would you prefer if the dates were chosen because they might get on but wouldn’t necessarily make riveting tv or do you want friction. To me I want to see if this social experiment can work and people can actually find something on a dating show (which should be pretty much a real date). I would feel short changed if I went on it and was obvious that I was paired with someone that would only be for ratings.

Also it is clear that edits can shape how viewers perceive someone. Someone who isn’t flawed could come across as an assh0le at the whim of an edit. In this modern society where if it’s on the net it can’t be erased is it worth putting your reputation on the line for €35, a date which mightn’t work and because a producer thought it would be a boost for ratings to make you come across poorly.

Some deserve it because they are fake wannabes but others are just normal who get pulled apart. Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I have read a lot of people giving out about girls not paying their way on the date. Get where everyone is coming from but if you just accept that 90% of first dates these days the bloke pays. It’s not sexist. It’s not a show of masculinity. It’s not bad. It’s just what happens. And if he does it’s not because he is expecting a second date. It’s not because he is expecting a kiss or more. It’s just the done thing.

If people accept that then there won’t be so much negative posts about feminism, equality, girls taking advantage, lads been taken for a ride. Sometimes it’s just nice to accept it for what it is.

When people don’t worry about who pays the bill they can then enjoy watching the date. Sometimes it’s fun. Sometimes it’s cringe. Sometimes it looks like it was real. Sometimes you know the producers put two together just to clash. I’m not saying how I know but a good few of the dates would have been filmed around halloween.

Would you prefer if the dates were chosen because they might get on but wouldn’t necessarily make riveting tv or do you want friction. To me I want to see if this social experiment can work and people can actually find something on a dating show (which should be pretty much a real date). I would feel short changed if I went on it and was obvious that I was paired with someone that would only be for ratings.

Also it is clear that edits can shape how viewers perceive someone. Someone who isn’t flawed could come across as an assh0le at the whim of an edit. In this modern society where if it’s on the net it can’t be erased is it worth putting your reputation on the line for €35, a date which mightn’t work and because a producer thought it would be a boost for ratings to make you come across poorly.

Some deserve it because they are fake wannabes but others are just normal who get pulled apart. Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Dan and Rachel are such lovely people, was hoping it would end up romantic but kinda figured it would be as friends.

Next weeks moaner looks a right bitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭cgcsb

joeguevara wrote: »
    It’s not sexist. It’s not a show of masculinity. It’s not bad. It’s just what happens.

No it's actually all of those things.
    joeguevara wrote: »

Eh so you're saying that if you just accept gender inequality and don't call it out and just accept it, it'll be fine??:confused: Just sit at the back of the bus, it'll be grand, don't worry yourself about silly things like equal social status.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

The most galling instance is when the girl lets the lad pay for her dinner when she has already decided that she doesn't want to see him again. That's not a matter of gender politics or 'how it is', that's just a pure lack of decency.

The most galling instance is when the girl lets the lad pay for her dinner when she has already decided that she doesn't want to see him again. That's not a matter of gender politics or 'how it is', that's just a pure lack of decency.

If the lad offered I don't see the big deal with this ?

if I was on the show id offer to pay for the girl regardless of how the date went, called me old fashioned but that's just how I'd be,

Buying her dinner doesn't mean she has to say yes , Can just be a nice gesture from a bloke weather there is another date or not ,

If the lad offered I don't see the big deal with this ?

if I was on the show id offer to pay for the girl regardless of how the date went, called me old fashioned but that's just how I'd be,

Buying her dinner doesn't mean she has to say yes , Can just be a nice gesture from a bloke weather there is another date or not ,

And she could offer the same gesture, no? or is her gender a barrier to that?

cgcsb wrote: »
    And she could offer the same gesture, no? or is her gender a barrier to that?

If she wanted ye she could have but in this case he did and she said ok ,
    Why is there a problem with that ?

Just a bloke with a nice gesture and the girl accepting the gesture ,

But your right lets report both to the gender police , How dare he offer and how dare she accept it ,
    How dare two people who aren't going to get married or have a second date be so nice to each other its so unacceptable in todays world.,

But your right lets report both to the gender police , How dare he offer and how dare she accept it ,
    How dare two people who aren't going to get married or have a second date be so nice to each other its so unacceptable in todays world.,

But, but, feminism.

The point I was making that the implication that it's ok that it's EXPECTED of men to make this gesture solely because of their gender, is unfair. Also accepting a cash gift off someone you just met without ever wanting to see them again, is complete rudeness.

• Advertisement

cgcsb wrote: »
    The point I was making that the implication that it's ok that it's EXPECTED of men to make this gesture solely because of their gender, is unfair. Also accepting a cash gift off someone you just met without ever wanting to see them again, is complete rudeness.

If a man offers to pay and the woman accepts then who has created the expectation? It isn't the woman. and going for dinner and allowing somebody else to pay is not "accepting a cash gift". I'm not sure what you are trying to imply there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dan and Rachel are such lovely people, was hoping it would end up romantic but kinda figured it would be as friends.

Next weeks moaner looks a right bitch!

Is Tallafornia Phil back?

Did they run out of new sign ups that some are getting second chances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

On a normal real life date, it should be the person who proposed the date who pays imo, which is usually the man in fairness, so it’s a grey area on the show and no right answer

Has there ever been a date between a man and a women where the woman ended up paying on this?

I remember a girl last year who offered once to pay her half after he offered, which he allowed, then after she was pissy about him not wanting to pay, utter daftness

If a man offers to pay and the woman accepts then who has created the expectation? It isn't the woman. and going for dinner and allowing somebody else to pay is not "accepting a cash gift". I'm not sure what you are trying to imply there.

My issue is why a woman who doesn't intend seeing the man again would accept an offer of paying for her dinner, it really annoys me tbh, what is the readoning behind it if its not rudeness or bad manners?

My issue is why a woman who doesn't intend seeing the man again would accept an over of paying for her dinner, it really annoys me tbh, what is the readoning behind it if its not rudeness or bad manners?

she's a huar

My issue is why a woman who doesn't intend seeing the man again would accept an offer of paying for her dinner, it really annoys me tbh, what is the readoning behind it if its not rudeness or bad manners?

so the man should expect something in return if he pays?

No.. I'm looking at it from the woman's perspective, why not pay for your own meal when you won't see him again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't know why you're arriving at that conclusion, I think the implication is that the decent thing to do would be to firmly insist on paying half if you already know you've no interest in seeing the other person again.

Man or woman.

if you've no romantic intentions that you know of, then the "DATE" is plutonic, so treat it as such and pay your half. if you do like them then you can let them pay on the proviso that you'll see each other again and you'll get the next one, NO?? QED the rule of reciprocity.

• Advertisement

rusty cole wrote: »
    if you've no romantic intentions that you know of, then the "DATE" is plutonic, so treat it as such and pay your half. if you do like them then you can let them pay on the proviso that you'll see each other again and you'll get the next one, NO??

If the guy offers to pay its a nice gesture that's all ,
    You can be nice even if your not getting a second date,

Seems petty to offer to pay and then be annoyed if she accepts but doesn't want a further date,

Very childish the adult version of you can come to my birthday party only if I can go to yours,

What is wrong with people being nice and not expecting anything in return ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I don't know why you're arriving at that conclusion, I think the implication is that the decent thing to do would be to firmly insist on paying half if you already know you've no interest in seeing the other person again.

Man or woman.

So what about a man paying when he’s no intention of seeing the girl again, just gives u the wrong idea that u will be seeing him again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Tallafornia Phil back?

Did they run out of new sign ups that some are getting second chances?

Not sure, I'll have to look at the ad again I was pretty tired when I saw it last week.

If a man offers to pay and the woman accepts then who has created the expectation? It isn't the woman.

See below:
    I remember a girl last year who offered once to pay her half after he offered, which he allowed, then after she was pissy about him not wanting to pay, utter daftness

No, if you intend to see someone again, then you may also intend to reciprocate the favour, i.e. pay for dinner next time.

If the guy offers to pay its a nice gesture that's all ,

And if he doesn't offer, he's the wost in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The way I have always worked it on first dates is to take turns buying drinks. Any time we've ended up going out for dinner, if he's insisting on paying and I know I like him and want to see him again, I'll allow him to pay but either buy all the drinks afterwards or pay for dinner on the second date.

If I know I've no interest I'll insist on paying for half, no arguments entertained. I would see it as very disingenuous to allow the man to pay for the entire meal when I know it's going nowhere. That's just how I feel and others are obviously free to agree or disagree with it but it works for me and at the end of the day, I'm the only one I have to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Dial Hard wrote: »
    The way I have always worked it on first dates is to take turns buying drinks. Any time we've ended up going out for dinner, if he's insisting on paying and I know I like him and want to see him again, I'll allow him to pay but either buy all the drinks afterwards or pay for dinner on the second date.

If I know I've no interest I'll insist on paying for half, no arguments entertained. I would see it as very disingenuous to allow the man to pay for the entire meal when I know it's going nowhere. That's just how I feel and others are obviously free to agree or disagree with it but it works for me and at the end of the day, I'm the only one I have to live with.

I agree. It’s ok to let someone pay if you feel it’s going to go somewhere, or if you can see a future, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Everyone on this show now is just on to promote themselves. I've stopped watching the show now.

Why would go for dinner on a blind date in the real world in fairness? There'd be no escape clause

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Everyone on this show now is just on to promote themselves. I've stopped watching the show now.

Isn't that always been the point of a dating show ?
    Promote yourself to the opposite sex or same sex depending on your preference

• Advertisement
Advertisement