Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭deisemum

This Valerie one looks like Dr ciara kelly.

Is Valerie the woman that was in Lidl's trolleycam advert, with 2 grown up sons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The Master wrote: »
    He responded to nearly every bad social media post about his last appearance saying it was all an act. So no doubt he'll do a perfect gentleman act on this appearance.

Wonder has he learned to walk like a human being

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

We thought Tallafornia Phil said ‘How’s it going Potatoe’ to Mateo, because it’s the kind of stupid thing he would say. Couldn’t stop laughing for wayyyy too long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,327 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I couldn't think who the woman with a sour puss with curly ginger hair reminded me off.....buts it come to me!

Lauren Harries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Bit of the David Brent’s about the bald fella from Dublin.

He had the measure of his date, she tried to be mean and he didn't let it phase him so this intrigued her, total cow but sure he might get some value out of her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Purple-haired girl looks so much better during the one-on-one segment than the date

With the coloured hair I couldn't help thinking of the Stephanie character from LazyTown. I was half expecting Sportacus and Robbie Rotten to appear out of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

deisemum wrote: »
    Is Valerie the woman that was in Lidl's trolleycam advert, with 2 grown up sons?

Fair play to you, that was doing my head in !!!!
    I was thinking she'd been on the show before but you are spot on. She was buying condoms in Lidl afair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I actually liked Valerie, thought she was funny. I'd love to have her in a gang out for pints, not sure about the date though.

Westmeath girl was a total stunner, Mrs Slocombe could learn something from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

What's with both the Irish and UK version adding more and more restaurant staff every year? In a few seasons it'll just be two dates per episode interspersing the staff inanely ****eing on about uninteresting rubbish.

The one on the date with Father Damo was definitely the pick of the series so far. Seemed lovely too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    He had the measure of his date, she tried to be mean and he didn't let it phase him so this intrigued her, total cow but sure he might get some value out of her

I's say it was more the wine that loosened them up but sure whatever works.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    Ross and his bizarre accent and greasy hair.....painful...if he was chocolate he would eat himself

agreed, he couldn't wait to show a picture of his own arse. 100% a very unattractive feature in anyone, man or woman, he loved himself but we knew that cos he took his top off in a HEY IT'S ME style of self affection in the offset.

I think we should get a viewers discretion is advised warning sometimes with these shows when the fodder is that nauseating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jane_Dough

Can't believe the bearded lad paid halves with the purple haired girl when he knew she was clearly into him. Total deal breaker for me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

rusty cole wrote: »
    agreed, he couldn't wait to show a picture of his own arse. 100% a very unattractive feature in anyone, man or woman, he loved himself but we knew that cos he took his top off in a HEY IT'S ME style of self affection in the offset.

I think we should get a viewers discretion is advised warning sometimes with these shows when the fodder is that nauseating!!

Strangely a couple of the girls I work with found him very attractive , I would have thought the same as yourself,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Jane_Dough wrote: »
    Can't believe the bearded lad paid halves with the purple haired girl when he knew she was clearly into him. Total deal breaker for me too.

Then when he offered to pay she should have accepted gracefully instead of faking being happy to go dutch and bitching about it afterwards.

Jane_Dough wrote: »

It's ok to go half's but the way he done it was odd,
    Mite sound odd but he should have been more confident as in yes half's is fine or no I'm paying ,instead he went if you want ,
    It sounded like he didn't want to pay but would have if she didn't offer half's if that makes sense

A few on here complained about a girl a few weeks ago letting a guy pay who she wasn't interested in but last night we had a guy (gay guy) insist on paying even thought he wasn't interested in the other guy ,
    It was refreshing to see someone being nice to someone and not expecting anything just being nice to be nice,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

It's ok to go half's but the way he done it was odd,
    Mite sound odd but he should have been more confident as in yes half's is fine or no I'm paying ,instead he went if you want ,
    It sounded like he didn't want to pay but would have if she didn't offer half's if that makes sense

A few on here complained about a girl a few weeks ago letting a guy pay who she wasn't interested in but last night we had a guy (gay guy) insist on paying even thought he wasn't interested in the other guy ,
    It was refreshing to see someone being nice to someone and not expecting anything just being nice to be nice,

Why is it assumed this is his choice? The guy has the choice to either way full whack or pay half? Paying half is "ok"? Are they not there on an equal footing? I thought that's what equality was all about no? He was simply following the modern societal protocol (which men never asked for to begin with) that it's not his call on who pays the bill, that it is agreed upon by both. He was simply being respectful of what she said to him (tip: don't expect guys to be mind readers), bearing in mind he had probably had an earful about her entrepreneurship and paying her own way through life. Might smack of looking after the little old lady if he confidently insists (important word) on paying the bill, or indeed on splitting it....i.e. even if she pays her half, it was on his terms.

As far as the gay guy who paid is concerned, he had complete command over that whole date. He was, for want of a better word, the "alpha" of the 2. Going through life being "nice" strikes me as quite an expensive way to live your life, and completely unnecessary. The difference between the two of them was striking. One had more old fashioned values, had self discipline and seemed to have quite a mature head on his shoulders. The other guy was more modern, loud and seemed more interested about the next party than anything else.

The guy who paid knew he wasn't going to take it any further but took charge and paid the bill, his cost, so be it. He didn't sit back and let the other guy, who was clearly interested in him, pay full whack while he knew it was going no further. Huge difference.

yes but as the rejectee said, the Payer was out of his league. So once someone is being turned down, I think there's an element of guilt in there insofar as the Dumper deciding to pay for the meal so as to take the sting out of the rejection that's coming.

whatever the reason though or motivation, tis still nice as you say because they don't want anything in return.

ligerdub wrote: »
    Why is it assumed this is his choice? The guy has the choice to either way full whack or pay half? Paying half is "ok"? Are they not there on an equal footing? I thought that's what equality was all about no? He was simply following the modern societal protocol (which men never asked for to begin with) that it's not his call on who pays the bill, that it is agreed upon by both. He was simply being respectful of what she said to him (tip: don't expect guys to be mind readers), bearing in mind he had probably had an earful about her entrepreneurship and paying her own way through life. Might smack of looking after the little old lady if he confidently insists (important word) on paying the bill, or indeed on splitting it....i.e. even if she pays her half, it was on his terms.

As far as the gay guy who paid is concerned, he had complete command over that whole date. He was, for want of a better word, the "alpha" of the 2. Going through life being "nice" strikes me as quite an expensive way to live your life, and completely unnecessary. The difference between the two of them was striking. One had more old fashioned values, had self discipline and seemed to have quite a mature head on his shoulders. The other guy was more modern, loud and seemed more interested about the next party than anything else.

The guy who paid knew he wasn't going to take it any further but took charge and paid the bill, his cost, so be it. He didn't sit back and let the other guy, who was clearly interested in him, pay full whack while he knew it was going no further. Huge difference.

Strangely enough I agree with you , Its ok to pay half and decided that between you 100%

I just felt it was very awkward how he came to that choice, she offered and he said twice very sheepishly "eh if you want" he came across very unsure,

To use your phrase it wasn't very Alpha at all , The gay guy who paid came across much better and more sure of himself be taking control of the situation ,

So I thought if he was going to pay or go half's he should have been more assured in his choice, the " eh eh if you like" just sounded a bit odd and uncomfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

The techno head who looked like your man out of Peep Show didnt seem like a bad fella but jaysus it was cringe-worthy listening to him.

He was unbelievably self-depreciating.

"Oh my god you're so good lookin"
    "oh my god you're way out of my league"
    "When you walked in I couldnt believe you were my date" .

Obviously his date was a decent lookin lad but, jaysus, play it cool!

Exposing the aul inferiority complex on the first date is never gonna end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Strangely enough I agree with you , Its ok to pay half and decided that between you 100%

I just felt it was very awkward how he came to that choice, she offered and he said twice very sheepishly "eh if you want" he came across very unsure,

To use your phrase it wasn't very Alpha at all , The gay guy who paid came across much better and more sure of himself be taking control of the situation ,

So I thought if he was going to pay or go half's he should have been more assured in his choice, the " eh eh if you like" just sounded a bit odd and uncomfortable

The full payer guy knew it was going no further, plus there's no societal norm on the bill payer when it comes to 2 men (or is there?). He could be as confident as he likes in that situation. He's not losing a potential partner nor is he going to be judged negatively for it either. His alpha approach there could have convincingly passed as man taking a woman out in the old days. I'm the man, you're the woman, and I'm paying.

The guy dating purple hair is faced with a conundrum of not knowing what the right thing to do is. The social norms are ambiguous in that regard at the moment, particularly when it comes to dating entrepreneurial women in their mid 30s. She's still physically attractive and has gotten to the stage in life where she knows she has done alright without a man in her life. She may or may not want that decision made for her (in his mind at least). He also has more to lose in that situation as he was interested in her, so he has a quandary to deal with. Maybe he was looking for the cheap option, but not being sure how to approach that situation is understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think she was stupid to offer not once but twice and then get pissy about it when he decided to accept. Jesus shlte like that gives women a bad name and no wonder guys have no idea what to do in similar situations.
    If I liked him, I’d let him pay if he offered. If I didn’t like him I’d go halves. Although unless he was a total gobshlte, I think I’d always agree to see them again on a televised date, even if I didn’t mean it. It’s just always so awkward when one says yes and the other says no.

ligerdub wrote: »
    The full payer guy knew it was going no further, plus there's no societal norm on the bill payer when it comes to 2 men (or is there?). He could be as confident as he likes in that situation. He's not losing a potential partner nor is he going to be judged negatively for it either. His alpha approach there could have convincingly passed as man taking a woman out in the old days. I'm the man, you're the woman, and I'm paying.

The guy dating purple hair is faced with a conundrum of not knowing what the right thing to do is. The social norms are ambiguous in that regard at the moment, particularly when it comes to dating entrepreneurial women in their mid 30s. She's still physically attractive and has gotten to the stage in life where she knows she has done alright without a man in her life. She may or may not want that decision made for her (in his mind at least). He also has more to lose in that situation as he was interested in her, so he has a quandary to deal with. Maybe he was looking for the cheap option, but not being sure how to approach that situation is understandable.

I just thought it came across he was going to pay and then was delighted the cheap option came up ,Worse part was he couldn't hide that and that's why it was awkward ,

Also I don't think id be alone in saying the second he said it you knew it wasn't going to go down well, Surely he read her better than that, it was quite obvious to me anyway that she would have been happy for him to pay ,

Anyway they went on for more dates so it all worked out and he seemed like a really nice guy ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

same issue every week regarding who pays. I think the Gibson hotel or TV3 should foot the bill.

Now maybe people enjoy the politics of who pays so there would be a lot less to talk about if the bill was prepaid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

rusty cole wrote: »

Definitely big time in love with himself but it didn't seem to put off the girl who seemed into him. Confidence is a wonderful thing I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

deisemum wrote: »

Wait, her son is Saoirse from last week's episode! He's in the Lidl ad too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

wolfmoon87 wrote: »

Are they just getting people straight from central casting?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

De Bhál wrote: »
    same issue every week regarding who pays. I think the Gibson hotel or TV3 should foot the bill.

Now maybe people enjoy the politics of who pays so there would be a lot less to talk about if the bill was prepaid.

They use the excuse of "it adds to the experience of a date and the whole who pays question is asked".

Reality is it saves them money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,327 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Pussyhands wrote: »
    They use the excuse of "it adds to the experience of a date and the whole who pays question is asked".

Can you imagine what the bills would be in fairness....
    I think in the UK the production company pay a certain amount? not sure about here.
    A bit like in come dine with me they are given money for their night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Are they just getting people straight from central casting?

They are real parent and son

• Advertisement

Ah yer man Saoirse seemed alright..His ma just looks like a headache..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Couldn’t watch the full ad, the whole family were such bores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Well spotted guys.

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Then when he offered to pay she should have accepted gracefully instead of faking being happy to go dutch and bitching about it afterwards.

Did she not start the date talking about how she was an independent woman who doesn't rely on a man as well?

wolfmoon87 wrote: »

Top of the class Detective Wolfmoon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

irish_goat wrote: »
    Did she not start the date talking about how she was an independent woman who doesn't really on a man as well?

Yes! Exactly!

I think many women both young and not so young expect men to be able to mind read.

My advice to them would be stop being a mind fcûk, say what you mean and mean what you say instead of pretending to be something you’re clearly not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Pussyhands wrote: »

It's great for TV, causes plenty of drama. Shure, just look at us on here arguing the same sh!t over and over each week. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Think that Valerie is a food blogger chef cook person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

tinpib wrote: »
    It's great for TV, causes plenty of drama. Shure, just look at us on here arguing the same sh!t over and over each week. :D

I agree with you a 100% but it’s such a false scenario. On all the first dates I’ve been on it has never come up with the way it seems to so regularly on this show. I have dated so many different types too so it’s not as if that’s the reason. A simple sure I’ll get this, and we moved on to the next funny story or topic of conversation.

It seems that on this show it’s because a point is wanted to be made and probably if it was a regular first date then it wouldn’t be. Saying that I think it’s handled clumsily by a lot of blokes on the show who want to appear to be chivalrous but do more harm than good. One guy on the UK show was the worst when he said ‘don’t be stupid’ to his date. Funnily enough I think she wanted to see him again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

There are stories going around about the woman you're speaking about above.. That she was with a local married man for ages and posted a letter to his wife.

I think her date should have offered again to pay.. The way he worded it aswell 'ill pay if you want me to' that was ****e.

But yeah she was acting all innocent and independent and i seriously doubt that's the case

well your man saoirse was going on about girls being mean to him growing up FFS, he's a bag of water end of story and if they are a real MOM ans SON then that's even more annoying as they obviously fancy themselves as good telly!! eejits who have YES men around them. People like that are as bad as that tallafornia clown as well, at least ye know he's a wanker and not like these saps masquerading as normal...bleeding modern family wannabes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

There are stories going around about the woman you're speaking about above.. That she was with a local married man for ages and posted a letter to his wife.

I think her date should have offered again to pay.. The way he worded it aswell 'ill pay if you want me to' that was ****e.

But yeah she was acting all innocent and independent and i seriously doubt that's the case

But you can be independent and still have a guy pay for the first date. Now if that continues into the relationship the independent tag becomes diluted. But that’s my point, I have never heard anyone that I’ve been on a first date with go on about how independent they are. Now if we talked about her it should be obvious based on her life and experiences. But someone who goes straight into telling a guy or girl how independent they are, they invariably are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

joeguevara wrote: »
    But you can be independent and still have a guy pay for the first date. Now if that continues into the relationship the independent tag becomes diluted. But that’s my point, I have never heard anyone that I’ve been on a first date with go on about how independent they are. Now if we talked about her it should be obvious based on her life and experiences. But someone who goes straight into telling a guy or girl how independent they are, they invariably are not.

Absolutely. It just annoyed me how she was the one to mention going halves first. Then again, and then got annoyed when he did. She only has herself to blame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Was saoirse the dude who in the lidl ad tries to put condoms in mammys shopping trolley?

To thine own self be true

bigpink wrote: »

There ya go
    https://www.valskitchen.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

jos28 wrote: »

I’d say a lot of bloggers actor types applying for it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I must say overall I'm really enjoying this series, it's holding my attention very well. I think it has the right mix of 'characters' and genuinely nice people, the dates overall are quite interesting to watch I think. Certainly one of the better things on tv right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Strangely a couple of the girls I work with found him very attractive , I would have thought the same as yourself,

It takes all sorts. I thought he was smarmy and in love with himself. Also, didn't bother washing his hands after going to the toilet.

And the talking in Irish constantly to her after she said that she doesn't speak it at all.

Didn't matter to his date though, she lapped it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Just catching up on this (and the UK version) tonight.
    That Valerie one was incredibly rude. No need for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Just catching up on this (and the UK version) tonight.
    That Valerie one was incredibly rude. No need for that.

She was a pita. I thought that when I saw her, and now I see she’s a “food blogger” and on the Lidl ad, likes promoting herself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

bigpink wrote: »

Of course.....majority of people on this are just looking to make a name for themselves. All bloggers or aspiring artists. Pure fake ****e.

• Advertisement
Advertisement