Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11 Cycle Lane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

UCD southbound isn't that well designed. I was looking over my shoulder for the traffic turning left, meanwhile I had to look forward for people leaving the bus stop.

Like I said, this is solved by simply letting bikes in the bus lane. Off road paths are great for people who move slow/lack confidence or don't mind stopping every 100 meters for obstructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    UCD southbound isn't that well designed. I was looking over my shoulder for the traffic turning left, meanwhile I had to look forward for people leaving the bus stop.

Like I said, this is solved by simply letting bikes in the bus lane. Off road paths are great for people who move slow/lack confidence or don't mind stopping every 100 meters for obstructions.

But as mentioned upthread, there is nothing stopping bikes using the bus lanes.

But as mentioned upthread, there is nothing stopping bikes using the bus lanes.

No, but from my own experience (most recently with a wexford bus), that isn't common knowledge among drivers and leads to some dangerous "punishment passes".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The drivers of the wexford buses along with all commercial drivers are supposed to hold a cert of professional competency...
    You can contact

http://wexfordbus.com/contact/

@gardatraffic
    The Traffic Corps in the Dublin Metropolitan Region can be contacted at:

DMR Traffic Division
    Dublin Castle
    Dublin 2
    D02 HE67

Tel:- 01-6669800

E-mail: traffic_DS@garda.ie

The drivers of the wexford buses along with all commercial drivers are supposed to hold a cert of professional competency...
    You can contact

http://wexfordbus.com/contact/

@gardatraffic
    The Traffic Corps in the Dublin Metropolitan Region can be contacted at:

DMR Traffic Division
    Dublin Castle
    Dublin 2
    D02 HE67

Tel:- 01-6669800

E-mail: traffic_DS@garda.ie

I emailed Wexford bus.

I got no reply.

I emailed for a follow up.

I got no reply.

But I appreciate the information! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I emailed Wexford bus.

I got no reply.

I emailed for a follow up.

I got no reply.

But I appreciate the information! :D

I find a good way to get people's attention is Twitter. You'd be amazed at how quick a public message will get you a reply ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phil Jones

Just had a bus tail gating and beeping me on the N11 cycle lane, in between Foxrock Church and Cornelscourt. Very intimidating!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Phil Jones wrote: »
    Just had a bus tail gating and beeping me on the N11 cycle lane, in between Foxrock Church and Cornelscourt. Very intimidating!

Maybe he knows you? You should slow down and wave back. By cycle lane I Persume you mean bus lane as the y me lane in that patch require an ATV. More bumps than a BMX track

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

What kind of bus, Aircoach, Dublin Bus, Kavanagh's? Hope you got their number to report to the company at the very least.

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    What kind of bus, Aircoach, Dublin Bus, Kavanagh's? Hope you got their number to report to the company at the very least.

It was Dublin Bus - think it was the 145, but couldn't be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Deedsie wrote: »

That is surprising, I usually find the Dublin Bus drivers to be a little more patient. Taxis & coaches are the worst. I only use the bus lane coming up to Stillorgan/kilmacud road junction and between UCD and Dublin Bus depot.
    Surprised at that too, Dublin Bus drivers are usually very courteous.

I think this is part of the problem with off road cycle lanes, it gives others the impression that you don't belong on the road & that you have no right to be there.

That is surprising, I usually find the Dublin Bus drivers to be a little more patient. Taxis & coaches are the worst. I only use the bus lane coming up to Stillorgan/kilmacud road junction and between UCD and Dublin Bus depot.

I moved over to the bus lane after the Foxrock church junction as I was hoping to turn right into Cornelscourt, as it happened the traffic was too heavy to allow me to get over to the right hand lane safely, so I ended up using the pedestrian crossing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Had a terrible incident with a 145 on the same road. Met the 145 at Booterstown Avenue on Sunday morning, very little traffic on the road. I cycled on the road because the cycle lane is in shyte. He then began driving into the cycle lane, stopping the bus, waiting for me to catch up then deliberately squeezing me in, parking right over on the left of the lane, turning into stops in on top of me all the way to loughlinstown. It was super scary. All this despite hardly another sinner on the road.

However I generally find DB drivers the best. Wexford bus drivers, the 133 and the good old Aircoach are the worst. I think Airoach have improved though *crosses fingers*. The Wexford Bus is lethal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

You should have taken down the bus registration and called AGS to report that.

Yup, you're absolutely right, I really should have, I regret not doing that. I was on my way to a lift to my first road race and I wanted to let the aggro go instead of carrying it round with me for the day.

However not reporting it has made it dangerous for other cyclists that driver encounters. All super dodgy incidents like that get reported now. If for the common good if nothing else!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    It's a while since I cycled it to be fair, I could just have a soured opinion of it due to that stretch at Blackrock College. I always hated the outbound stretch coming up to Vincents in rush hour, the cars are packed tight & as close to the kerb as they can get.

That section coming from Ailesbury Road to Merrion Road has really been improved by moving the bus lane back to before the Traffic lights at the Junction with Nutley Lane. Still get a few muppets staying in it and it's still tight at the start but much improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

gadetra wrote: »
    However I generally find DB drivers the best. Wexford bus drivers, the 133 and the good old Aircoach are the worst. I think Airoach have improved though *crosses fingers*. The Wexford Bus is lethal.
    Definitely Aircoach and Wexford Bus the worst. The only scant consolation is that both try to bully cars as well (witness their carry on when they come up to another bus stopped in the bus lane when they try to get out). They're just knob heads to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Definitely Aircoach and Wexford Bus the worst. The only scant consolation is that both try to bully cars as well (witness their carry on when they come up to another bus stopped in the bus lane when they try to get out). They're just knob heads to everyone!

Yep - I have regular "interaction" with Aercoach and Wexford Bus coaches on my daily Shankill - Ballsbridge commute. It's clear to me that most public service drivers believe that bicycles are not permitted in the bus lanes when there is an available parallel cycle lane!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Same happened me this morning, Dublin bus though by Donnybrook stadium. I genuinely take no notice anymore, just hold my line and pace. It's not my job to flirt with the curb and any cars which then want to peep at a junction.

I cycle the N11 daily and the cycle lane is as funny as it is dangerous. You mount curbs, dismount curbs, go across junctions, in front of bus stops, behind bus stops and sometimes the lane disappears only to reappear in the middle of the road with no signage to indicate this is going to happen. It's more of an obstacle course than a cycle lane. The only thing missing is a full on vertical loop for the laugh.

In fairness the drivers on the N11 generally check their left mirrors before turning, they seem to be more aware of cyclists than in many other parts of Dublin e.g. rathmines lower / aungier street direction is a death trap for example (largely due to careless pedestrians).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

It is one consolation for when we all do move to "google glass" type wearable tech. Ok we may lose all semblance of privacy but at least it is likely to give rise to a significant increase in driver courtesy and behavior. If the expectation rather than the exception is that you are on camera punishment passes will quickly disappear.

Hi,

I contacted DLRCC this week about the Northbound cycle lane coming up to the N11 Lower Kilmacud road junction. Seeing if they could move a filter traffic light out of the cycle lane to the far side of the crossing. And trim back the hedge protruding halfway across the cycle lane.

Could anyone else here who uses this stretch email traffic@dlrcoco.ie to see if you have any more luck than me? Strength in numbers and all that.

Anyone who knows the section of cycle lane knows how bad it is along here.

Between the slip for the orchard and the lights. That's the only part I don't use as it was a foot path and not designed as a cycle path hence the blind sharp corner that brings you to the pedasterians lights. Use the bus lane

• Advertisement

I do usually use the bus lane but I have had a few incidents with taxi drivers and coach drivers. A bit scary to be honest for an experienced cyclist.

My request to fix the cycle lane here is for the benefit of inexperienced cyclists who wouldn't dream of using the bus lane

Well then you/we need to ask that they fix it properly , remove the corner, put in a yield sign for left turns , make the bike lane straight so that it doesn't need that turn. Average speed on that part is around 42km, the corner is too dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Funnily just after reading this thread look what passed me on the bus. Ironic ad to see on a Wexford Bus of all companies, and looks like he was about to do a close pass as I took this!!

Edit i stand corrected, looks like indicator was on anyway, so maybe moving out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Typical moaning cyclist . Why should a cyclist have the right to use a bus lane ? For the same reasons a car cant either. Use your head. If your sooo horny about your bike , should of moved to Amsterdam

Because it is a bus and cycle lane perhaps. Its not that cyclists "should" be permitted to use it, cyclists are permitted to use it. Sorry for any disappointment this may cause you.;-)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Poster banned for repeatedly ignoring forum charter

Anyone cycling Southbound on the N11 this evening watch out for a ridiculous amount of glass on the cycle lane at the UCD flyover about 100 metres before the bus stop. It has to be malicious, there isn't a shard of glass on the footpath, it's only in the cycle lane :mad:

It's infuriating cycling in this country...

It's being there all week :( 2 spots about 50m apart

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ted1 wrote: »
    It's being there all week :( 2 spots about 50m apart

Contact council they will clear up.

Also good idea to have a small brush with one on their bike could save others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Anyone cycling Southbound on the N11 this evening watch out for a ridiculous amount of glass on the cycle lane at the UCD flyover about 100 metres before the bus stop. It has to be malicious, there isn't a shard of glass on the footpath, it's only in the cycle lane :mad:

It's infuriating cycling in this country...

Ah here, two spots with glass appear beside a college during the first week of term and you think it's a plot against cyclists?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

NiallBoo wrote:
    Ah here, two spots with glass appear beside a college during the first week of term and you think it's a plot against cyclists?

Thank God for common sense!! You'd think the whole world was out to get some of the cyclists that post on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Emailed them on tuesday. Hopefully they will get around to it soon.

Phone call works quicker at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Hardly a plot. More like evidence that there are no resources assigned to clean up the "perfectly good" cycle lanes.

We know that people throw tacks in the cycle lanes so it is certainly possible that this was malicious, although more likely to be some scummer who is going to throw their glass somewhere deciding the cycle lane is the best spot because of the rabble rousing done by people like George Hook and Michael O'Leary. More convenience than maliciousness at play.

Most likely explanation is that glass is left everywhere but the authorities only assign people to clean the footpaths and the roads so it remains left on the cycle paths. This is reason enough for cyclists to complain. Especially when scumbags in cars might take it on themselves to endanger you for the imaginary offence of not using the cycle path.

Of course it is possible that students just coincidentally happen to select cycle paths to throw their glasses. That doesn't make it any less irritating that it remains there for a week or more.

Advertisement