Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11 Cycle Lane

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Of course it is possible that students just coincidentally happen to select cycle paths to throw their glasses. That doesn't make it any less irritating that it remains there for a week or more.
    without knowing the location, i suspect it's someone (i.e. someone on foot) deciding to lob their bottle to the side rather than directly into their own path.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Contact council they will clear up.

Also good idea to have a small brush with one on their bike could save others.

I contacted DLRCoCo and asked them to run the sweeper the length of the N11 cyclepath as every bus stop had glass and there was a lot of debris . Nothing happened..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Still there as of 15 mins ago, had read this thread and forgotten about it and rode ride through it. Had good fun picking glass shards out of my tyre for a good 5 minutes after.

Irish cycling infrastructure, let the good times roll baby

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Random points;
    The cycle way runs through is Shane Ross's constituency, and Josepha Madigan's the worst parts of it (Mt. Merrion to Donnybrook).
    There is an automated counter by DLRCoCo which clocks each bike passing near UCD. Always makes me think it is a 'look how good we're doing with the cycling' counter.
    This area is probably the biggest generator per sq.km of property tax in the galaxy going to DLRCoCo, yet rather than construct something to keep the citizens of the 'Boro' safe, we get to build fancy library's as we can't figure out what else to do with the money.
    There are too many buses in this city. Thats simple.
    There are no Garda. I did not see one garda today from Stillorgan to D1 (07:30). You can do what you bloody like, your not going to get caught.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I wouldn't get them in a twist re: broken glass on the UCD flyover.
    Cycle in and out every day.

Students are just back this week or so. I've seen a load of glass empties the far side, UCD side. The kids just leave them at the busstop.

Inevitably..... some are going to get smashed..... for the craic.

Wouldn't put it down to deliberate cycle lane vandalism by any means.

I've cycled through it all last week and wouldn't worry about it (Schwalbe Marathons 47mm. :))

• Advertisement

Random points;
    The cycle way runs through is Shane Ross's constituency, and Josepha Madigan's the worst parts of it (Mt. Merrion to Donnybrook).
    There is an automated counter by DLRCoCo which clocks each bike passing near UCD. Always makes me think it is a 'look how good we're doing with the cycling' counter.
    This area is probably the biggest generator per sq.km of property tax in the galaxy going to DLRCoCo, yet rather than construct something to keep the citizens of the 'Boro' safe, we get to build fancy library's as we can't figure out what else to do with the money.
    There are too many buses in this city. Thats simple.
    There are no Garda. I did not see one garda today from Stillorgan to D1 (07:30). You can do what you bloody like, your not going to get caught.

In fairness to the county it's just before the council border. I pass it ever morning at about 8 and the number is usually between 75 and 120 which in all honesty is a patethic number as it's about 2 bus loads of people and it would be hard fir the council to justify spending much money on something so few people use .

Is there anyway of tricking the counter ?

Deedsie wrote: »
    That counter doesn't work properly... I pass through it every morning and it regularly doesn't update for the cyclist in front of me or myself. I'd have no faith in those numbers.

I wonder if the council use the figures..,

They probably do but they are in no way accurate... it was 138 when I passed it this morning but there were about 20 cyclists queued at the lights at the UCD flyover Northbound. There is a constant flow of cyclists along the N11 every morning. It annoys me everyday when I pass the counter

Let's keep track next week. Post time and number

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

ted1 wrote: »

Or you can get the full counter data from the council.

monument wrote: »
    Or you can get the full counter data from the council.

But that's the data from the counter which we are questioning. We are trying to see if the data is valid

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I cycle by that counter every day...on the road. It doesn't count me, nor anyone else that does the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Stand within view of the counter for 10-15 minutes with a camera and you'll get a pretty good idea of the level of accuracy.

Monday 8:06. Count=145

Tuesday 07:35 89/90

It counted me this morning. I find if you stay on the right hand side of the cycle lane there is a better chance of you being counted.

I emailed DLRCC this morning about it. I'd encourage others to do the same and we might have some hope of them repairing the counter.

Hi,

The cycle counter on the N11 Northbound before UCD flyover is not
    counting all cyclists. The only way to be counted is if you stay on
    the extreme right of the cycle lane. There is no accuracy to the
    numbers of cyclists collated by this cycle counter.

--
    Regards,

Running late today
    Tuesday : 8:25 count=220

So that's only 130 bikes in 55 minutes. Believable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Not to me... 8:00 to 9:00 would be the busiest time you would imagine. The counter works but it is not counting all cyclists. If cyclists stay on the left of the lane the counter doesn't count them.

I don't watch it every day but misses me nearly every time I pass it. I know this because I didn't even realise it updated in real time until about 5 months into commuting when I saw it count me. Makes sense that it counts extreme right as said here as I usually cycle tight left

it cost over 20k in 2011: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/bicycle-counter-costing-20k-unable-to-give-proper-tally-of-passing-cyclists-147840.html

and they do use if for planning: http://irishcycle.com/2015/02/05/council-working-to-fix-bicycle-counters-in-south-dublin/

I wonder do Carbon bikes and Aluminium bikes cause the problem with non detection.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

it cost over 20k in 2011: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/bicycle-counter-costing-20k-unable-to-give-proper-tally-of-passing-cyclists-147840.html

and they do use if for planning: http://irishcycle.com/2015/02/05/council-working-to-fix-bicycle-counters-in-south-dublin/

I wonder do Carbon bikes and Aluminium bikes cause the problem with non detection.

And the legions of us that don't use that cycle lane...
    Massively inaccurate measurement imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

nee wrote: »
    And the legions of us that don't use that cycle lane...
    Massively inaccurate measurement imo

I remember a few years a go a few posters here slowing, some even going back to double check, and finding they were never counted.

I was only counted on occasion, but rarely. 155 in an hour at that time seems hugely off. I see about 10 per minute (complete guesstimiation) pass me when I am waiting at a nearby T junction, college students alone would have more numbers than that in that area and I presume far more people going into town for work pass it in the same time period.

I would guesstimate that only 1 in 4 are being picked up.

At 8:02 it was reading 166. That's 54 people in 8 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Does anyone know why the cyclist's priority sign at the Foster's Avenue junction was removed?

A couple of weeks ago a d!ck in a merc almost creamed a cyclist by bullying in left there after hammering down the bus lane from two junctions back. I was driving behind him and of course he threw his car in the mandatory cycle lane near the shop on roebuck road.

I couldn't help but roll down my window and let him know what I thought of his driving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

The cycle counter outside the clonskeagh gate of UCD picks me up on my bike roughly half of the time. I have never been able to figure out what causes it to work and what not to. There is a kind of triangle on the road that i deliberately pass over, I assume that is what detects bikes.

I suspect it might be that if a car is passing close to the detector at the same time as a bike it just reads "car" and doesn't up the number, if no car is within range it picks up the bike. But that is pure speculation with no basis other than that it would plausibly explain the seemingly random nature of whether it detects me or not as I pass each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

I go up and down the N11 past ucd 4 days a week.

Where exactly is the counter? I never noticed it. But then I never watch put for it.

Is it northbound or southbound?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

micar wrote: »

Where exactly is the counter? I never noticed it. But then I never watch put for it.

Northbound between Fosters and UCD. Nearer the UCD end.

Northbound between Fosters and UCD. Nearer the UCD end.

Just Googled it.

I have noticed that. Never knew what it was used for.

I have never noticed numbers being displayed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you need to high five it to activate the display.

Between Fosters Avenue and UCD about 50m past the bus stop at the pedestrian bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Glass again in the cycle lane on Brewery road just off the N11. Just outside the Leopardstown Inn. Again not a bit of glass on the footpath, just on the cycle lane.

Saw this today. Forgot to bring my sweeping pan and brush! Have you gone the fixmystreet route yet?

Between Fosters Avenue and UCD about 50m past the bus stop at the pedestrian bridge

Went up the N11 this morning. Looked across at the device.

There seemed to be numbers lit up. Will have a better look on my way home this evening.

Thursday 8:03 count=167

• Advertisement

Went up the N11 this morning. Looked across at the device.

There seemed to be numbers lit up. Will have a better look on my way home this evening.

Went by there around 5.25 this evening.

Watched the device register me

Happy days!!!

Think it was up to around 860.

Advertisement