Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The guy that flies over South Park

Options
  • 21-04-2016 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

So does any body have an opinion on the microlight guy who buzzes about South Park and along the Prom swooping around the place at low altitude in his incredibly loud device?

I find it really annoying and quite unsafe, imagine if loads of people had them, surely there would be a risk of injury?

A friend of mine said one day he saw that the owner brought up a passenger who he was shouting at the pilot calling him a nutter during the flight presumably due to the antics, when they landed fisticuffs erupted.

Normally I don't complain on the internet about general crap but I think there is an increased danger of injury to the public and the owner of this microlight due to his low altitude manoeuvres, a potential engine failure might be catastrophic due to his inability to steer to a safe spot whilst so close to the ground.

In fairness he does only seem to go out on fine days, but there are a large numbers of people walking about all along his Prom route.

:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I've a pilots licence with about 14 years experience and several hundred hours flight time. I've seen some dangerous behavior in my time flying, but nothing that compares to the paraglider that operates out of the swamp. His behavior goes far beyond recklessness, it downright dangerous.

About two weeks ago I saw him flying directly overhead the Prom almost at pedestrian height. I've seen him flying about 30mins after the end of Visual Flight Rules (i.e. dark). I've seen him flying in mist, fog and high winds. I've heard that he has been reported to the IAA but nothing appears to have been done. I know he's not subject to the same regulations as light aircraft, but as far as I'm concerned he's heavier than air, powered flight and is therefore subject to the rules of the air which state that your lowest altitude over a built up area shall be 1,500ft.

Flying so low in such close proximity to so many people is a recipe for disaster. He is leaving himself absolutely no time if something were to go wrong. It is not a question of if but when this guy does some serious damage to himself and/or others.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

Yeah no seriously though I just hate the nuisance of him.
    Last year I was walking out to Mutton Island and he had a passenger with him. The male passenger was screaming and shouting at him really aggressively, really upset. I thought it was a joke at first but it kept going. I didn't see them land so I don't know if there was any further issue or argument.
    I have no knowledge of altitude regulations or what would be considered dangerous flying but i was pretty uncomfortable with him flying so close to the walking path.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

Details here for submitting a low flying aircraft report:

https://www.iaa.ie/contacts/low-flying-aircraft

Edit: I was cycling along the Prom yesterday, didn't notice him but my friend did and said he was flying very low. The law is quite clear regarding minimum heights, see below extract from irish law.

Minimum heights

(1) except as permitted by the appropriate authority or as hereinafter provided aircraft shall not be flown:
    (a) over congested areas of cities, towns or settlements or over an assembly of persons, at less than:
    (i) a height of 450 metres (1,500 ft) above the ground or water, or

(ii) a height of 300 metres (1,000 ft) above the highest obstacle within a radius of 600 metres from the aircraft, or
    (iii) such other height as would permit, in the event of the failure of a power unit, a safe forced landing to be made,
    whichever height is the greatest.

(b) elsewhere:
    (i) closer than 150 metres, (500 ft) to any person, vehicle, vessel or structure, or
    (ii) at a height less than 150 metres (500 ft) above the ground or water,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

How is a microlight/paraglider coded for the IAA? A light aircraft or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

Looks like this is they guy:
    http://www.paraglidewest.ie/

Article written about him here. He seems to say that what he does is unregulated?
    http://connachttribune.ie/birdman-takes-skies-galway-344/

Video here:
    https://vimeo.com/119797303

• Advertisement

Unusually, paragliders are unregulated in Ireland, they operate under a general exemption. They are not required to undergo any type of formal training or indeed hold a licence.

However that does not mean they are exempt from the rules of the air (http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2004/si/72/made/en/print). Looking at the definition of 'aircraft' under the SI, it's defined as: “aircraft” means any machine that can derive support in the atmosphere from the reactions of the air other than the reactions of the air against the earth's surface. As the paraglider is heavier than air and motor powered it falls into the category of an aircraft and is therefore subject to the rules of the air - meaning their minimum over a city should be not below 1,500ft.

I don't think I've seen the guy that launches out of South Park above 100/200ft when he's over the city, and 40/50 when he's scudding along the prom.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mmmull

In fairness he does only seem to go out on fine days, but there are a large numbers of people walking about all along his Prom route.

:(:(

We saw him do his stunts on really windy days at Silver Strand. He really struggled that day and got pushed down by the wind so low, that we were on eye level, 10/15m away from me. That was the first time we saw him last year.
    The second time we saw him in similar conditions and he went up and down above the parking lot.

I thought that it's really cool that he can do this in Ireland on one hand, but I also felt that people were in danger, especially on the first day. When I saw him again, I was hoping he would land, so I could have a chat with him about it.

mmmull wrote: »
    I thought that it's really cool that he can do this in Ireland on one hand, but I also felt that people were in danger, especially on the first day. When I saw him again, I was hoping he would land, so I could have a chat with him about it.

That's really the nub of the issue. I've no real problem with him pricking about if he does it in the middle of the Bay where he can only hurt himself. However, barn storming along a packed Prom at 20ft is asking for trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Often see him down in Renville Park as well, always struck me as dodgy - he lands very near people sometimes and I have seen him more than once having difficulty landing due to wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

I have talked to him and I liked him alot. He is very dedicated to both paragliding and paramotoring which is what you see him doing over the prom. Paramotoring is not really legislated for here as he is not a micro light so he is not in breach of regulations height wise but he cannot stray up too far and I think he must inform them if he flys in the Burren near Shannon corridor.

There have been numerous complaints to the Gardai but they are mostly about overlooking property. (I asked the Gardai in Oranmore this)
    As he is not doing anything illegal he is allowed to fly.

I believe a short film is being made about him so keep an eye out amd maybe approach him for a chat

A few links for info about his sport
    http://www.paramotoring.ie/

in the UK
    https://www.bhpa.co.uk/sport/power/paramotor/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Does he understand the danger he is putting people in by flying so low near large groups of people?

He seemed to be a lot closer to the prom when I saw him than in his youtube clips.

The first line on his website is 'Paragliding is a dangerous sport that contains elements of risk and participation'. Not much help to people on the prom.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

ah here! can you do anything fun in this country without killjoys passing comment.

I dont mind him at all. The noise is no more a nuisance then a plane. Ive never seen him fly at eye level. And he only seems to be out in fine calm weather.

I cant believe people actually rang the guards about him! ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

is it a 2 seater, if so im willing to pay to go for a flight with him. seems to know what hes doing and does it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

flynnlives wrote: »
    ah here! can you do anything fun in this country without killjoys passing comment.

I dont mind him at all. The noise is no more a nuisance then a plane. Ive never seen him fly at eye level. And he only seems to be out in fine calm weather.

I cant believe people actually rang the guards about him! ffs!

Ya, there is an element of "won't somebody please think of the children" to all this b1tching. Not long now before the pitchforks come out and Joe Duffy gets the call. Or worse, Keith Finnegan! We know nothing about it so lets be afraid. Like some long lost tribe in the Amazon who come out and throw rocks when they see a Helicopter for the first time.

I have seen him on multiple occasions out in Renville and the odd time along the prom. Its something different and the people/tourists I seen on the prom and Renville were waving up to him and taking pictures. I have heard nobody complaining or taking issue with the guy. Its something different and I think the majority of Galwegians would have no problem with him. Obviously you will have the odd curtain twitcher, or busy body who has little else to be doing other than complaining about something they know feck all about or the potential dangers involved.

As for crashing into the prom and killing hundreds, will people get a grip FFS. Its a bloody ParaGlide/Motor with a big fecking parachute attached to it. Even if the engine failed he is not going to plummet to the ground like a rock. It glides people! GLIDES!

Also I think we can rely on the guys 40 years of experience and knowledge doing this to put our tormented minds at ease. He is not going to firstly put himself in danger or risk and by extention the same would apply to the rest of us on the ground. As for flying in "strong" winds or not being able to control the machine, who are we to judge what is a strong wind for flying this thing? How do we know he couldn't control the machine? We know sweet FA about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Ach leave the guy alone. It's something interesting. The only one he might (and hopefully never will) hurt, is himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

After seeing the videos I think some people would be better off staying at home in case they are unlucky enough to get squashed in a 10km paramotor accident. :rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

After seeing the videos I think some people would be better off staying at home in case they are unlucky enough to get squashed in a 10km paramotor accident. :rolleyes:

Maybe if you unroll your eyes you might be able to read what was posted. Lately he he has been flying much much lower than he was in the videos

I'm sure it looks pretty badass though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The guy is an idiot. I love Paramotors & have been up in them but I wouldn't fly with him. He was flying along Furbo Beach & decided to show off & fly really low over the road. Several cars swerved & he didn't see the double decker bus coming down the hill. If the driver hadn't braked he would of hit him.

On another occasion he was flying in very dangerous conditions, violent hail showers & updraughts. I witnessed him at full throttle trying to outrun a shower. He should never of been flying in those conditions.

Contrary to some of the opinion here, paramotors can crash. Like parachutes & hangliders you can stall. The weight of a person plus a fast spinning large propeller is enough to cause serious damage.

People like him will result in tighter legislation which would spoil the sport for the responsible pilots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Mods please can I change the thread title as it's incorrect.

The device the guy files isn't a microlight it's a powered paraglider.

Mods please can I change the thread title as it's incorrect.

The device the guy files isn't a microlight it's a powered paraglider.

It's actually a Paramotor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I changed title to not include what contraption he uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

biko wrote: »
    I changed title to not include what contraption he uses.

But he flies over Renville Park and the Prom too ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

The lads in the aviation forum posted this link

http://www.paramotoring.ie/regulations.html

7. No passenger may be carried on any flight.

9. No flight may be made at any height over: a. Any town, City or built-up area. b. Any area of commercial, residential or recreational use. c. Any open air assembly of persons, whether gathered in connection with an event of public entertainment or otherwise.

Here's one I took a while back

IMG_0306.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Discodog wrote: »
    The lads in the aviation forum posted this link

http://www.paramotoring.ie/regulations.html

7. No passenger may be carried on any flight.

9. No flight may be made at any height over: a. Any town, City or built-up area. b. Any area of commercial, residential or recreational use. c. Any open air assembly of persons, whether gathered in connection with an event of public entertainment or otherwise.

He was flying over housing estates in Rahoon today! He was pretty high up but that thing is quite loud. Sounded like a big lawnmower outside the window, but it was himself in the distance. The chute seemed to be rocking side to side. There's no way that if that came down from that height it wouldn't do some damage on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

It's only a matter of time!

Could this be the same guy?

Irish paramotor pilot 'endangered public'
    The 63-year-old pilot suffered minor injuries.
    An Air Accident Investigation Unit report said it was a serious incident. It said that the aircraft was being flown contrary to the rules of the air, at a low height near to and therefore endangering members of the public.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-21030728

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

People who cycle on the prom are worse than this guy.

Advertisement