Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The guy that flies over South Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

People who cycle on the prom are worse than this guy.

But they're less dangerous to seagulls!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Putting the potential safety issues aside and the probable breaking of the air laws/regulations, just imagine if there were 3 or more of these paramotors operating in the same fashion in the same area.

The loud noise from just one is a real detraction to the (sometimes) serene beauty of taking a walk along the prom. These aircraft zipping about low level in a built up area are simply just a form narcissistic anti social behaviour, just like the people who remove mufflers on their cars.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone who is a bit anxious might well make a complaint to the Gardai about this guy.

The 'it'll be grand, shure it's no harm" attitude is all well and good until someone gets harmed. The air laws and regulations are there for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There is plenty of space for him to fly safely & without causing any nuisance. But he likes to show off & flies over built up areas at low height.

Putting the potential safety issues aside and the probable breaking of the air laws/regulations, just imagine if there were 3 or more of these paramotors operating in the same fashion in the same area.

The loud noise from just one is a real detraction to the (sometimes) serene beauty of taking a walk along the prom. These aircraft zipping about low level in a built up area are simply just a form narcissistic anti social behaviour, just like the people who remove mufflers on their cars.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone who is a bit anxious might well make a complaint to the Gardai about this guy.

The 'it'll be grand, shure it's no harm" attitude is all well and good until someone gets harmed. The air laws and regulations are there for a reason.

Yeah when I lived in the US I had friends with Jet skis (which are massive craic btw!) however their use was (rightly) limited in some areas where it messes with the noise level and recreational value of a place. I'd say yer man would be grand over the bay, but not buzzing low to people or over housing estates!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭hughie1989

he landed on the pitch there last week... I think its pretty cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Maybe if you unroll your eyes you might be able to read what was posted. Lately he he has been flying much much lower than he was in the videos

Stay inside then, perhaps under the bed for extra safety if you're that bloody worried.

Stay inside then, perhaps under the bed for extra safety if you're that bloody worried.

Unless you live in Rahoon/Knocknacarra, and then there's hiding if he comes through the roof of your gaff! :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Nice comeback, well done, however once again you skipped reading posts in favour of a smart ass reply, unless it's something else and maybe a trip to specsavers is in order for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Ah heyor leave it off the two of yez... no point getting snarky and shirty with each other over the internet...

If anything, you must solve your differences in aerial paramotor jousting combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Nice comeback, well done, however once again you skipped reading posts in favour of a smart ass reply, unless it's something else and maybe a trip to specsavers is in order for you?

On your advice I've re-read through the thread and you've actually contributed less then I have. That takes some beating.

• Advertisement

Ah heyor leave it off the two of yez... no point getting snarky and shirty with each other over the internet...

If anything, you must solve your differences in aerial paramotor jousting combat.

Hot-Air-Balloon-Duel2.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Myself and a good friend of mine are after purchasing two of these contraptions there last week and we are going to join up with this man and have some fun and when I say fun I mean fun cause we never flew or operated these things before lol.

Myself and a good friend of mine are after purchasing two of these contraptions there last week and we are going to join up with this man and have some fun and when I say fun I mean fun cause we never flew or operated these things before lol.

Might be an idea to get your pilots license first. It's a very big fine.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

yellow issued to happyoutscan, take your duel elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

Discodog wrote: »
    Might be an idea to get your pilots license first. It's a very big fine.

You actually don't need a license at present for a Paramotor!!(There's an exemption in the wording of the rules)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I saw flying very low by the Prom last night at about 21.15.

Seems really irresponsible to be flying so close to people in such poor visibility.
    No matter how good he thinks he is, one little slip or mechanical fault could lead to an accident.

I don't think other people joining him is a good idea in that regard.

To be honest, at this stage, even disregarding any safety concerns, it's just got annoying to hear him whining around the place every day. Seems like he just wants the attention.
    Well if you're reading this, we've seen you flying around in your toy, it's cool, we get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Hit by a Paramotor - It kills over one Americans every year!

mulbot wrote: »
    You actually don't need a license at present for a Paramotor!!(There's an exemption in the wording of the rules)

As a student FLPA pilot you can fly under supervision of an IAA Accepted Flying Instructor. Or on completeing your training at a school with a syllabus that is accepted by the Irish Aviation Authority "(3) Submit Satisfactory Evidence To The Authority Of Approved Or Accepted Training Completed In Any State Or Completed With An Aviation Association Holding A Recognition From Any State;" you can apply for an Exemption/Licence, making sure that your logbook is up to date, that you have an official school training record of training with a school stamp, a current class 2 medical cert and insurance cover.

http://www.paramotoring.ie/regulations.html

I saw flying very low by the Prom last night at about 21.15.

Seems really irresponsible to be flying so close to people in such poor visibility.
    No matter how good he thinks he is, one little slip or mechanical fault could lead to an accident.

I don't think other people joining him is a good idea in that regard.

To be honest, at this stage, even disregarding any safety concerns, it's just got annoying to hear him whining around the place every day. Seems like he just wants the attention.
    Well if you're reading this, we've seen you flying around in your toy, it's cool, we get it!

I am an aviation enthusiast & that's how I perceive him. To repeat what I posted earlier:

9. No flight may be made at any height over: a. Any town, City or built-up area. b. Any area of commercial, residential or recreational use. c. Any open air assembly of persons, whether gathered in connection with an event of public entertainment or otherwise.

As he constantly breaches this I find it hard to believe that he is an IAA accepted flying instructor. I would guess that he is using the "any state" rule.

As a student FLPA pilot you can fly under supervision of an IAA Accepted Flying Instructor. Or on completeing your training at a school with a syllabus that is accepted by the Irish Aviation Authority "(3) Submit Satisfactory Evidence To The Authority Of Approved Or Accepted Training Completed In Any State Or Completed With An Aviation Association Holding A Recognition From Any State;" you can apply for an Exemption/Licence, making sure that your logbook is up to date, that you have an official school training record of training with a school stamp, a current class 2 medical cert and insurance cover.

http://www.paramotoring.ie/regulations.html

Yes,just like I said,you don't need a license if you ,like most of us flying,get the exemption

• Advertisement

Yes,just like I said,you don't need a license if you ,like most of us flying,get the exemption

Yes but you have to qualify via a valid instructor.

Yes but you have to qualify via a valid instructor.

Just means you have to have show you completed a training course-It's not illegal to go buy one and fly it

Just means you have to have show you completed a training course-It's not illegal to go buy one and fly it

Where do they run courses in Ireland ?

Where do they run courses in Ireland ?

There's a guy in Tipp that does it,think a few others,I went to Spain

Well this guy is going to ruin it for everyone if his antics result in changes to the licensing. He could fly out of the airport & stay away from built up areas. It's not as if there is a shortage of areas to fly over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Well this guy is going to ruin it for everyone if his antics result in changes to the licensing. He could fly out of the airport & stay away from built up areas. It's not as if there is a shortage of areas to fly over.

Can't fly out of the Airport It's Closed, Only Galway Flying club can use it

What permission do you need to fly off public land like beaches & parks ?

What permission do you need to fly off public land like beaches & parks ?

I would think you don't need any with footlaunched aircraft

I would think you don't need any with footlaunched aircraft

So you can parachute onto public land ?

• Advertisement

So you can parachute onto public land ?

No idea,it's not foot launched is it?

Advertisement