Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The guy that flies over South Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

mulbot wrote: »
    No idea,it's not foot launched is it?

A paramotor has to land. I used to go ballooning & we had maps showing where we could & could not land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

Discodog wrote: »
    A paramotor has to land. I used to go ballooning & we had maps showing where we could & could not land.

Yes,but footlaunched aircraft have a "loophole" if you want to call it that,perhaps you can parachute onto public land,.We regularly fly public areas,mountains,beaches etc with no issues,flying in National Parks is a no no though-

I believe a balloon pilot is covered by the same rules as the PPL license,so can't compare to hangliders,paragliders,PPG

When you say no issues do you mean that no one complains or you have it cleared with the authorities ?

When you say no issues do you mean that no one complains or you have it cleared with the authorities ?

Both, but you don't have to clear anything,You don't technically need to get permission in public areas that aren't governed by parks and wildlife

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

He's flies way too low, dogs are terrified of him. When I see him I have to grab my dog so she doesn't run away in fear. His boots nearly hit me one day. Hope he hits an esb wire

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Juran wrote: »
    He's flies way too low, dogs are terrified of him. When I see him I have to grab my dog so she doesn't run away in fear. His boots nearly hit me one day. Hope he hits an esb wire

Now now that's not a nice thing to say, what if he did and came down on people on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

drama-alert.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Your poor little doggings.

That's shocking altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Buzz and Tommy, no need to be dicks about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Your poor little doggings.

That's shocking altogether.

Sure what harm would there be in a dog getting startled in an area with lots of children beside a busy road?

• Advertisement

One of my neighbours thought about getting the shotgun when he was scaring her cows in calf. Any pilot should know to avoid flying low over livestock. When we were ballooning we would always gain height before a farm & not fire the burner over livestock.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

I'd put the wind up him if I met him!,,,

One of my neighbours thought about getting the shotgun when he was scaring her cows in calf. Any pilot should know to avoid flying low over livestock. When we were ballooning we would always gain height before a farm & not fire the burner over livestock.

And do what exactly,shoot the man? :rolleyes:, Seems a lot of people here have seen him,can anyone put a video up of his messing about?

Sure what harm would there be in a dog getting startled in an area with lots of children beside a busy road?

No harm once the dog is on the lead like it should be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

flynnlives wrote: »
    ah here! can you do anything fun in this country without killjoys passing comment.

I dont mind him at all. The noise is no more a nuisance then a plane. Ive never seen him fly at eye level. And he only seems to be out in fine calm weather.

I cant believe people actually rang the guards about him! ffs!

This is Ireland, you are allowed to drive from your house to work and the shop and at the weekend drive into the countryside and have a look around the car park overlooking some scenery. But please visit the gift shop and cafe. And after that we would appreciate it if you kindly refrained from anything that will take you off the road, out of the pub, the shopping mall, the cinema or maybe the Golf club. And CERTAINLY not this malarkey!
    We would like it if this place didn't become like them out foreign places with all that mountainbiking, hiking, climbing, canoeing, camping, swimming in lakes, having barbecues where people can see you (the NERVE!), hang-gliding, quite frankly we're already fed up of all them cyclists and surfers (suspect bunch if you ask me). Nature is meant to be admired from your car, so don't even look at it and remember, you got 10 pints to get through in your local tonight, much more fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

they're gone a bit old n sad at this stage - you want a hoverboard

And do what exactly,shoot the man? :rolleyes:, Seems a lot of people here have seen him,can anyone put a video up of his messing about?

Out of interest does anyone ever ask for one's exemption ? Is there anything stopping someone buying a paramotor & just flying it ? It's not like driving, you aren't going to get stopped by the guards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

No harm once the dog is on the lead like it should be.

Less likelihood of harm, but if a dog's right next to a child it won't completely remove any danger.

And there's still plenty harm for the dog.

This is Ireland, you are allowed to drive from your house to work and the shop and at the weekend drive into the countryside and have a look around the car park overlooking some scenery. But please visit the gift shop and cafe. And after that we would appreciate it if you kindly refrained from anything that will take you off the road, out of the pub, the shopping mall, the cinema or maybe the Golf club. And CERTAINLY not this malarkey!
    We would like it if this place didn't become like them out foreign places with all that mountainbiking, hiking, climbing, canoeing, camping, swimming in lakes, having barbecues where people can see you (the NERVE!), hang-gliding, quite frankly we're already fed up of all them cyclists and surfers (suspect bunch if you ask me). Nature is meant to be admired from your car, so don't even look at it and remember, you got 10 pints to get through in your local tonight, much more fun!

Brilliant-This country sucks when it comes to letting people enjoy the outdoors,I just came back from Canada,where it's encouraged and made as accesssible as possible to get into the outdoors!!

Out of interest does anyone ever ask for one's exemption ? Is there anything stopping someone buying a paramotor & just flying it ? It's not like driving, you aren't going to get stopped by the guards :)

I've never been asked when I'm out flying-generally people are part of a club here so you would be asked for your insurance,pilot rating,exemption etc when joining.

• Advertisement

I've never been asked when I'm out flying-generally people are part of a club here so you would be asked for your insurance,pilot rating,exemption etc when joining.

So I could buy a Paramotor without joining a club ? I am going to have to stop these questions - I sound like a terrorist :pac:

So I could buy a Paramotor without joining a club ? I am going to have to stop these questions - I sound like a terrorist :pac:

Yes,you could go buy an airplane too if you wanted

Yes,you could go buy an airplane too if you wanted

Funnily enough a friend of mine, who is a pilot, was joking about this. He said that a guy walked across the field & climbed in an aircraft. There was lot's of who's he comments & then they discovered that he just fancied having a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Well said, even though I do like my pints!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well said, even though I do like my pints!

OK, nothing wrong with a few pints. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Brilliant-This country sucks when it comes to letting people enjoy the outdoors,I just came back from Canada,where it's encouraged and made as accesssible as possible to get into the outdoors!!

It's wonderful when people enjoy the outdoors, but when they become overbearing and bullies - no so much. I mentioned Jet Skis in an earlier post, and they are so much fun. But if you are swimming, fishing, sailing whatever and some selfish gobsh*te with a jetski buzzes you continually, rocking your boat, creating noise etc, it's not on. Nature is meant for us to share. I've no idea, however, how flying low over Rahoon is 'seeing nature'.

inisboffin wrote: »
    It's wonderful when people enjoy the outdoors, but when they become overbearing and bullies - no so much. I mentioned Jet Skis in an earlier post, and they are so much fun. But if you are swimming, fishing, sailing whatever and some selfish gobsh*te with a jetski buzzes you continually, rocking your boat, creating noise etc, it's not on. Nature is meant for us to share. I've no idea, however, how flying low over Rahoon is 'seeing nature'.

I agree. I actually fancy paramotoring but I wouldn't annoy people especially when I have so much open countryside to fly over.

I wouldn't be surprised if the aviation authorities clamp down.

inisboffin wrote: »

I agree with you,I was talking nature here in general-I dont agree with paramotor guy constantly doing what's described here at all. We have our flying areas and other areas where we can fly without having to do this

I agree with you,I was talking nature here in general-I dont agree with paramotor guy constantly doing what's described here at all. We have our flying areas and other areas where we can fly without having to do this

Judging by the reaction here & the involvement of the Guards, I would be surprised if the authorities aren't aware of this. I have never heard of a problem with Paramotor in Ireland & it would be a shame if one irresponsible person spoils it for the rest.

• Advertisement

Any video of the guy flying?

Advertisement