Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The guy that flies over South Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭manna452121

Have a look, https://vimeo.com/119797303 also look at first few posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

There's always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

That noise might get annoying if he flies close like that all of the time,but in that video he doesn't appear reckless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

So what is the craic with the second person/passenger? Is that legal on them?
    The whole thing seems to be a loophole, so I am assuming it doesn't matter. I'm also assuming these are mates with him on there and not commercial?

Edit: There seems to be more than one person. This guy takes photos so it's a commercial venture. Not sure who is who.

inisboffin wrote: »
    So what is the craic with the second person/passenger? Is that legal on them?
    The whole thing seems to be a loophole, so I am assuming it doesn't matter. I'm also assuming these are mates with him on there and not commercial?

Edit: There seems to be more than one person. This guy takes photos so it's a commercial venture. Not sure who is who.

Again,If you aren't regulated(and also not in a club which would be under the "rules") there is a grey area where you can carry passengers-I suppose if you don't charge then it's not commercial,if someone offers,then I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Discodog wrote: »
    The lads in the aviation forum posted this link

http://www.paramotoring.ie/regulations.html

7. No passenger may be carried on any flight.

9. No flight may be made at any height over: a. Any town, City or built-up area. b. Any area of commercial, residential or recreational use. c. Any open air assembly of persons, whether gathered in connection with an event of public entertainment or otherwise.

Posted this earlier.

Posted this earlier.

Under exemption you can,as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So what would people like to happen?

* He stops flying in or around the city?
    * He stops carrying passengers?
    * He is shipped off to Dublin or somewhere else?

mulbot wrote: »

Read the article. It appears to say that you can fly under an exemption but you still have to follow the rules.

Last night a Paramotor flew along the coast to Spiddal at a reasonable height. Then it swooped low over the beach & prom. It's as if the guy can't help showing off.

biko wrote: »

That he abides by the regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think then someone (else) will have to make an official complaint at Mill Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That he abides by the regulations.

Shure'n this is Ireland, no one does that here.

Where does it say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Going by a few on here and their farmer buddies - him to fly into an ESB wire and to be shot down with a double barrel.

I think then someone (else) will have to make an official complaint at Mill Street.

I suspect that the authorities already have received complaints.

Shure'n this is Ireland, no one does that here.

Pilots do. Aviation regulations are followed to the letter. I suspect that this guy & maybe others are misunderstanding the regulations.

The exemption may allow you to fly but it doesn't exempt you from abiding with aviation law.

Where does it say that?

The air regulations apply to FLPA pilots under which they have to obey the regulations-however if you are holding an exemption those regulations don't apply(a grey area?)- you can see what regulations apply to a pilot holding an FLPA license on that link you sent a while back

Pilots do. Aviation regulations are followed to the letter. I suspect that this guy & maybe others are misunderstanding the regulations.

The exemption may allow you to fly but it doesn't exempt you from abiding with aviation law.
    His videos reference Mrs. Murphy or whoever enjoying their free flight. I'd say he is well aware of any regulations.

The air regulations apply to FLPA pilots under which they have to obey the regulations-however if you are holding an exemption those regulations don't apply(a grey area?)- you can see what regulations apply to a pilot holding an FLPA license on that link you sent a while back

Yes. What I asked for was where, in writing, does it say that the regulations don't apply to someone holding an exemption ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

How about a few kite flying events on his routes... the kite flying will not interfere with any legal aviation activity.

• Advertisement

I just looked again at the regulations & I can't see any grey areas.

The Irish Air Laws below apply to FLPA Pilots.
    1. Have a current Class 2 medical cert.

2. All Flights must be conducted in daylight Visual Meteorological Conditions (VMC) under Visual Flight Rules (VFR) and in Class G air- space below 3,000ft above Mean Sea Level (AMSL).

3. Any flights made under the exemption shall be in compliance with the requirements of the airworthiness Standards Department of the Authority.

4. Your pilot log book and Exemption shall be made available within a reasonable period to: a. An authorised Officer of the Authority. b. A member of the Garda. c. An officer of the Customs and Excise.

5. No flight shall be made for hire or reward or for any valuable consideration.

6. The pilot shall maintain a record of all flights made under this exemption in a suitable log book.

8. Any accident involving substantial injury or death of any person or substantial damage to the equipment being used for flying shall be reported in writing to the Authority, irrespective of any liability to report the same information to the Air Accident Unit of the Department of Transport.

9. No flight may be made at any height over: a. Any town, City or built-up area. b. Any area of commercial, residential or recreational use. c. Any open air assembly of persons, whether gathered in connection with an event of public entertainment or otherwise.

10. The exemption shall only be valid while the insurance cover is in force.

11. These exemptions are valid for one year and need to be renewed and renewal can be refused at any time by the Authority.

*The above Air Law can change from time to time and its your responsibility to be fully aware, ignorance of the law is no defence in a court of law.

The Law clearly refers to those holding exemptions - where is the grey area ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

The first option would be fine.

I just looked again at the regulations & I can't see any grey areas.

The Irish Air Laws below apply to FLPA Pilots.
    1. Have a current Class 2 medical cert.

2. All Flights must be conducted in daylight Visual Meteorological Conditions (VMC) under Visual Flight Rules (VFR) and in Class G air- space below 3,000ft above Mean Sea Level (AMSL).

3. Any flights made under the exemption shall be in compliance with the requirements of the airworthiness Standards Department of the Authority.

4. Your pilot log book and Exemption shall be made available within a reasonable period to: a. An authorised Officer of the Authority. b. A member of the Garda. c. An officer of the Customs and Excise.

5. No flight shall be made for hire or reward or for any valuable consideration.

6. The pilot shall maintain a record of all flights made under this exemption in a suitable log book.

8. Any accident involving substantial injury or death of any person or substantial damage to the equipment being used for flying shall be reported in writing to the Authority, irrespective of any liability to report the same information to the Air Accident Unit of the Department of Transport.

10. The exemption shall only be valid while the insurance cover is in force.

11. These exemptions are valid for one year and need to be renewed and renewal can be refused at any time by the Authority.

*The above Air Law can change from time to time and its your responsibility to be fully aware, ignorance of the law is no defence in a court of law.

The Law clearly refers to those holding exemptions - where is the grey area ?

If you have an exemption you are not classed as a FLPA pilot,so points no.5,7 and 9 are not applicable(this represents some of the grey areas)

If you have an exemption you are not classed as a FLPA pilot,so points no.5,7 and 9 are not applicable(this represents some of the grey areas)

So where would I find the proof that an exempted pilot isn't a FLPA pilot given that a Paramotor is a Foot Launched Powered Aircraft?

So where would I find the proof that an exempted pilot isn't a FLPA pilot given that a Paramotor is a Foot Launched Powered Aircraft?

The exemption issued from the IAA is the proof-If you don't hold an exemption and are legally flying under IAA approved instructor you become an FLPA pilot-If you have qualified elsewhere you can apply for an exemption but are not recognized as an FLPA pilot-it's very simple

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

The exemption issued from the IAA is the proof-If you don't hold an exemption and are legally flying under IAA approved instructor you become an FLPA pilot-If you have qualified elsewhere you can apply for an exemption but are not recognized as an FLPA pilot-it's very simple

Soooo... does this mean he definitely shouldn't have passengers, be over urban areas etc? Slightly confused.

Soooo... does this mean he definitely shouldn't have passengers, be over urban areas etc? Slightly confused.

If you are not a FLPA pilot then the regulations of the FLPA don't apply-He can carry passengers if he wants

The paramotor fliers say that they are allowed to do more without a license than with one.

It's a bit like saying that, as a learner driver, you can drive unaccompanied but when you pass your test you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

The paramotor fliers say that they are allowed to do more without a license than with one.

It's a bit like saying that, as a learner driver, you can drive unaccompanied but when you pass your test you can't.

And with that analogy, he's not only a learner driver, but a learner driver giving folks lifts on the motorway, and perhaps for payment..

• Advertisement

And with that analogy, he's not only a learner driver, but a learner driver giving folks lifts on the motorway, and perhaps for payment..

If he is a qualified pilot then it's not equivalent to being a learner driver

Advertisement