Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The guy that flies over South Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

mulbot wrote: »
    If he is a qualified pilot then it's not equivalent to being a learner driver

Anyone know if he is? And in that case then, what regulations would apply to him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Regardless if he's a qualified pilot or not, or if there is some loophole or whatever - surely a small bit of comon sense would dicate that he shouldn't be flying over built up areas. Even just for his safety even if he doesn't give a rats about anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

jjpep wrote: »
    Regardless if he's a qualified pilot or not, or if there is some loophole or whatever - surely a small bit of comon sense would dicate that he shouldn't be flying over built up areas. Even just for his safety even if he doesn't give a rats about anyone else.

Of course,I agree. If he does be flying very low continuously over people,then yea that would be stupid and annoying-They are noisy!, But if it's only at take-off and landing and flying out away from people I wouldn't see it as being a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Common sense would dictate that drones being operated in similar areas or indeed more built up area that what this man is flying in should not be allowed. I don't see a big hulabaloo being made about them.

Personally I think this man and his parachute with a fan should be left alone. The amount of assumptions and allegations being made about him on this thread is a pure joke or just another sign of the times we're living in.

Common sense would dictate that drones being operated in similar areas or indeed more built up area that what this man is flying in should not be allowed. I don't see a big hulabaloo being made about them.

Personally I think this man and his parachute with a fan should be left alone. The amount of assumptions and allegations being made about him on this thread is a pure joke or just another sign of the times we're living in.

Well said!

• Advertisement

Its kinda odd to me that you can see the inherent dangers and inconvenience in having drones flying over built up areas but not in something thsts much bigger and therefore with the greater potential for causing harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

If a drone fell out of the sky or hit an electric line, there would be waaay less damage done than a man (or a man and his passenger) falling. Also he was flying over a feicin HOUSING estate, low enough to sound like a lawnmower in the front garden. Eye/ear witness fact, no allegation here!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Most of the "assumptions" here are eye witness accounts. I am an aviation enthusiast & airshow supporter but he flies in a dangerous manner.

inisboffin wrote: »
    If a drone fell out of the sky or hit an electric line, there would be waaay less damage done than a man (or a man and his passenger) falling. Also he was flying over a feicin HOUSING estate, low enough to sound like a lawnmower in the front garden. Eye/ear witness fact, no allegation here!

You can say the same about any aircraft falling out of the sky,no reason to see any bigger risk as to why a guy flying a paramotor will suddenly drop out of the sky-Anyway, does he not fly off away to the side of people rather than over?

You can say the same about any aircraft falling out of the sky,no reason to see any bigger risk as to why a guy flying a paramotor will suddenly drop out of the sky-Anyway, does he not fly off away to the side of people rather than over?

Not the same from my POV. There's no flight path that I know of where this guy flew and certainly no craft where a child could hit them in catapult range, no noise pollution the same where he was and no, he flew directly over people. If he did come crashing down and (hopefully but unlikely) survived doing only property damage, who would pay for it? He is flying closer to power lines than any commercial plane could.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

I'm amazed he's still getting away with it. Had more than one walk down the swamp where his lawnmower went overhead (albeit just about, that guy can fly low). I figured he was just out for hoovering up the FB likes (with all the selfies) but apparently he's taking people up for money? Fuk that tbh.

Not the same from my POV. There's no flight path that I know of where this guy flew and certainly no craft where a child could hit them in catapult range, no noise pollution the same where he was and no, he flew directly over people. If he did come crashing down and (hopefully but unlikely) survived doing only property damage, who would pay for it? He is flying closer to power lines than any commercial plane could.

We at times fly over people,even on our isolated flying areas,and on most cross country flights,you will fly near or over residential areas, you have insurance cover also- I found videos on YouTube of him and I don't see him doing anything like what's been said here

We at times fly over people,even on our isolated flying areas,and on most cross country flights,you will fly near or over residential areas, you have insurance cover also- I found videos on YouTube of him and I don't see him doing anything like what's been said here

Will his insurance cover accidental death for a passenger, for damage to property, for injuring parties on the ground? I don't know what type of insurance he has. I get that in the odd circumstance he may have to fly over a residential area, but not circle it, nor that low. If I see it again I will take footage. He's going to wreck it for people that are being respectful with their flying.

There was a documentary on Channel 4 there not so long ago about drones and the problems they are causing in built up areas in the UK. One example of what damage they can cause was a 4 year old girl playing away in her back garden losing the sight in one eye as a result of the next door neighbour 20 yards away losing control of his drone. There were other examples as well.

There's no facts on here either. Just a few random people with funny and strange usernames claiming a man and his actions on a paramotor are a danger to the general public in Galway.

When someone fires up a video clip or something then we'll start talking about facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I've spotted him flying low along the prom, zig-zagging around the lamposts. that was on a Sunday afternoon when the road was busy with traffic. He was either trying to impress or scare his unfortunate passenger.

Discodog wrote: »
    Most of the "assumptions" here are eye witness accounts. I am an aviation enthusiast & airshow supporter but he flies in a dangerous manner.

There'd probably be more of a chance of a serious accident or fatality even, at an airshow with these highly trained pilots and their F16 and Tornado bombers tearing around the skies over built up areas than the man in question here and his paramotor.

I baffled that no one has pulled out a phone and recorded him acting the clown yet. Especially these days when people can't seem to take a dump without pulling out their phones and letting the world know.

There'd probably be more of a chance of a serious accident or fatality even, at an airshow with these highly trained pilots and their F16 and Tornado bombers tearing around the skies over built up areas than the man in question here and his paramotor.

I baffled that no one has pulled out a phone and recorded him acting the clown yet. Especially these days when people can't seem to take a dump without pulling out their phones and letting the world know.

So is it your contention that he's not flying dangerously like others here have described (and I've seen as well) - that everybody is exaggerating?

You also do understand that a para glider is bigger than a drone - something which you see as quite dangerous.

There was a documentary on Channel 4 there not so long ago about drones and the problems they are causing in built up areas in the UK. One example of what damage they can cause was a 4 year old girl playing away in her back garden losing the sight in one eye as a result of the next door neighbour 20 yards away losing control of his drone. There were other examples as well.

So your argument is that a much tinier craft is capable of doing damage while also flying low over a built up area? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I read about a model that was hit in the face with a drone.

To the mattresses!

In fairness,you cannot compare drones and paragliders/motors,hangliders etc-

• Advertisement

So is it your contention that he's not flying dangerously like others here have described (and I've seen as well) - that everybody is exaggerating?

You also do understand that a para glider is bigger than a drone - something which you see as quite dangerous.

Correct. You're all making a mountain out of a molehill. You are all yapping away there saying you've seen this and you've seen that and can't back a bit of it up. Like a bunch of aul' ones bitching and gossiping in a hairdressers on Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

Correct. You're all making a mountain out of a molehill. You are all yapping away there saying you've seen this and you've seen that and can't back a bit of it up. Like a bunch of aul' ones bitching and gossiping in a hairdressers on Saturday morning.
    There is a video... posted already:
    http://vimeo.com/119797303

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I don't get how you can acknowledge the potential harm of drones, but not extrapolate that this much larger machine could do more damage.
    It doesn't mean that he definitely will cause an accident, but the potential is there, especially if he continues to fly low near lots of people and lampposts which he could get tangled up in.

I don't think one need be hysterical to express concern over him.

Plus the droning sound is just annoying.

Correct. You're all making a mountain out of a molehill. You are all yapping away there saying you've seen this and you've seen that and can't back a bit of it up.

I wasn't aware I'd need to back up my claims when seeing it tbh. As said, I've only seen him twice and am no longer resident in Galway. If I whipped out the phone everytime I saw someone acting the tosspot I wouldn't be long filling my storage up :)

But yeah we're all making it up, it's a grand conspiracy!

ned14 wrote: »
    There is a video... posted already:
    http://vimeo.com/119797303

*hands up* That was me and some of the other posters here, it was a false flag op to frame yer man. I can't live with the guilt anymore.

That video shows nothing in relation to what's said about him on the thread,he's out to the front of that walkway,no dangerous manoeuvres to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

That video shows nothing in relation to what's said about him on the thread,he's out to the front of that walkway,no dangerous manoeuvres to be seen.

At the start of the video, he's flying too low, too close to the pedestrians and too close to the lamp posts.

At the start of the video, he's flying too low, too close to the pedestrians and too close to the lamp posts.

Totally disagree,he's higher than the posts by a considerable amount and not even directly over them,nor is he over any pedestrians,.Do you know if he's just after taking off in the video,obviously doing landings and takeoffs you will be low at both stages

I'm not arguing one way or the other about this but what are peoples major worries that will go wrong?

Its paragliding so if the engine stops he will just gently drop down and land? I just watched the video posted there and I was expecting him to be zooming around fast and swooping but it all looks really slow and controlled. Like I couldn't see any sudden catastrophic crash happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Totally disagree,he's higher than the posts by a considerable amount and not even directly over them,nor is he over any pedestrians,.Do you know if he's just after taking off in the video,obviously doing landings and takeoffs you will be low at both stages

Are you familiar with the location at all? There is no suitable place for him to take off anywhere nearby.

He is directly overhead of pedestrians at the very start of the video.

There is a noticeable difference in his altitude at the start and end of this brief video.

NSQJee5O.jpg

Advertisement