Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The guy that flies over South Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

Are you familiar with the location at all? There is no suitable place for him to take off anywhere nearby.

He is directly overhead of pedestrians at the very start of the video.

There is a noticeable difference in his altitude at the start and end of this brief video.

NSQJee5O.jpg

No he isn't,he's over the beach area to the side of people..These things don't just fall out of the sky you know-

Not sure what the Father Ted pic is for,?

Ha.

That video.

It looks like good craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Just thinking of all the silly situations I could insert myself into by using one of those things.

Dressing up as a star wars character and buzzing the millenium falcon in Donegal would be top of the list.
    Bonus if you get in the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

aphex™ wrote: »
    Just thinking of all the silly situations I could insert myself into by using one of those things.

Dressing up as a star wars character and buzzing the millenium falcon in Donegal would be top of the list.
    Bonus if you get in the film.

Be careful now, you wouldn't want to break any rules ;)

000c3926-642.jpg

Flight restrictions in place for Star Wars filming

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

D'ya reckon he'll try to pick me up if he flies over? Like just hold my arms in the air and he grabs me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

D'ya reckon he'll try to pick me up if he flies over? Like just hold my arms in the air and he grabs me.

He might, he wouldn't be the first:

0jYNF.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Correct. You're all making a mountain out of a molehill. You are all yapping away there saying you've seen this and you've seen that and can't back a bit of it up. Like a bunch of aul' ones bitching and gossiping in a hairdressers on Saturday morning.

Discodog wrote: »

That's really irresponsible, with a moment or two of inattention (or maybe a strong gust of wind depending on how strong that motor is), he could have easily got himself caught on that flagpole.

And the noise is so horrible. Imagine having a nice relaxing read on the beach and that doofus comes droning along.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

That's really irresponsible, with a moment or two of inattention (or maybe a strong gust of wind depending on how strong that motor is), he could have easily got himself caught on that flagpole.

And the noise is so horrible. Imagine having a nice relaxing read on the beach and that doofus comes droning along.

Yep the noise is really annoying.

You very obviously don't know anything about these and how they fly-What you described there tells that,

• Advertisement

mulbot wrote: »
    You very obviously don't know anything about these and how they fly-What you described there tells that,

So would it be impossible to get caught on the flagpole, or the lampposts along the Prom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Damn all wrong with what he was doing there in fairness and going by that clip I don't see the need for such a fuss.

Keep at it though, ye'll probably get him to park it up in his garden shed for good somehow.

Banana Republic.

So would it be impossible to get caught on the flagpole, or the lampposts along the Prom?

Impossible yes if he flies like he is in the video

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Damn all wrong with what he was doing there in fairness and going by that clip I don't see the need for such a fuss.

Keep at it though, ye'll probably get him to park it up in his garden shed for good somehow.

Banana Republic.

not in this case
    its the Few like him ruin it for the many

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Banana Republic.

Right. So nothing at all potentially dangerous you can see in that clip but you get all fretful about drones? You are very inconsistent in your thinking.

jjpep wrote: »
    Right. So nothing at all potentially dangerous you can see in that clip but you get all fretful about drones? You are very inconsistent in your thinking.

There's no more danger than having a car drive by you on the foothpath

Impossible yes if he flies like he is in the video

If his concentration were broken by, for example, someone shouting "Get out of here with that noisy aul' yoke ya feckin' eejit ya!," would it be plausible that he could swerve suddenly to the side?

If his concentration were broken by, for example, someone shouting "Get out of here with that noisy aul' yoke ya feckin' eejit ya!," would it be plausible that he could swerve suddenly to the side?

hahahaha,no!!

What if a drone distracted him and flew into his eye? :P

inisboffin wrote: »

He'll be fine,he has another eye:pac:

• Advertisement

I am getting worried that you fly a paramotor if you can't see the dangers in that video. 383 Paramotor accidents were investigated.

Pilot errors (only) 205
    Mechanical failure (including fuel exhaustion) 67
    Pilot error and weather 17
    Pilot error and mechanical failure 17
    Weather (gust, thermal, rain, wind increase, etc) 22
    Not applicable/unknown 24
    Other* 31

If you are flying that low around people you have no time to react when something does go wrong. A sudden gust of sea breeze or downdraught/loss of lift could easily push him into the pole or onto that car.

I am very pro Paramotors but this kind of flying will result in a serious tightening of regulations. It's worrying that you can't see the danger especially as your justification is that you fly by exemption & don't need a license. I would of thought that you would be very critical of his flying. We ban aircraft, parachutists etc from being close to people for a reason.

By the way that video was shot by an experienced pilot & he thinks that the guy is an accident waiting to happen.

Jaysus you're hard! My uncle crashed his car from a wasp. Let's hope he only encounters one drone so! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Saw him flying over and around Tracht beach in Kinvara there an hour ago. He'd have made a small fortune if he decided to land cause everyone around me seemed to be wondering if he was bringing people up for rides. Not one negative thing did I hear said about him.

I have to say too that there is a lovely boo coming from that engine, anyone know what sort of an engine he has running it? Before I heard it firsthand I thought it would sound like a F16 fighter jet, with the way some of ye were going on here about it. Unreal too.

I am getting worried that you fly a paramotor if you can't see the dangers in that video. 383 Paramotor accidents were investigated.

Pilot errors (only) 205
    Mechanical failure (including fuel exhaustion) 67
    Pilot error and weather 17
    Pilot error and mechanical failure 17
    Weather (gust, thermal, rain, wind increase, etc) 22
    Not applicable/unknown 24
    Other* 31

If you are flying that low around people you have no time to react when something does go wrong. A sudden gust of sea breeze or downdraught/loss of lift could easily push him into the pole or onto that car.

I am very pro Paramotors but this kind of flying will result in a serious tightening of regulations. It's worrying that you can't see the danger especially as your justification is that you fly by exemption & don't need a license. I would of thought that you would be very critical of his flying. We ban aircraft, parachutists etc from being close to people for a reason.

By the way that video was shot by an experienced pilot & he thinks that the guy is an accident waiting to happen.

You need to understand how these fly if you think the circumstances he flies in could lead to what you've described.Just because you have an exemption doesn't mean you haven't been trained to fly

I don't use the exemption as any justification for dangerous flying and you are wrong to assume this-The only thing I see here is that if he flew that close all day the noise would be annoying-

Parachutists etc are kept away from protected airspace,not people!

You need to understand how these fly if you think the circumstances he flies in could lead to what you've described.Just because you have an exemption doesn't mean you haven't been trained to fly

I don't use the exemption as any justification for dangerous flying and you are wrong to assume this-The only thing I see here is that if he flew that close all day the noise would be annoying-

I do understand. I nearly got one years ago. I have seen the circumstances that he flies in & things can go wrong. If you can't see his flying as dangerous then it implies that you would fly in the same way. 20kg of paramotor, 70 kg pilot, plus a moving propeller, hot engine & fuel. Even at 10 mph that can do serious damage.

Your posts just show the need for proper regulation & when it comes in, it will be flyers like him who have caused it.

I agree with you,I was talking nature here in general-I dont agree with paramotor guy constantly doing what's described here at all. We have our flying areas and other areas where we can fly without having to do this

Bit of a contradiction.

Bit of a contradiction.

No there isn't,I said I didn't agree with the guy doing what was described on here,and I asked about a video of him and since that was posted it doesn't look like he is doing what was described of him-I've said a few times that the noise might get annoying,

No there isn't,I said I didn't agree with the guy doing what was described on here,and I asked about a video of him and since that was posted it doesn't look like he is doing what was described of him-I've said a few times that the noise might get annoying,

It shows him flying extremely low over people. What else was described?

It shows him flying extremely low over people. What else was described?

Carrying passengers who were screaming in terror,having trouble due to high winds,executing dangerous manoeuvres,Flying in violent hail and updrafts..

I really don;t see anything like that described in the video,he is not shown flying over large groups of people,.Also,alot of flying sites are also open to public and therefore we will be flying at times over and near people,when using both powered and non powered paragliders,never once have I encountered anybody that has complained about anything,most will stand taking pictures,or just watching. (If I did see him flying dangerously I would say so,but from what I've seen,that isn't the case)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

inisboffin wrote: »

minor thing, same as if you forget to remove cat before takeoff :

Advertisement