Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The guy that flies over South Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

gctest50 wrote: »
    minor thing, same as if you forget to remove cat before takeoff :

I've always loved this clip! However I suspect it may have been different if the cat flew into his eye! :pac:

*and I know you're just doing it to post a deadly clip, but that's a paraglider, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

inisboffin wrote: »
    I've always loved this clip! However I suspect it may have been different if the cat flew into his eye! :pac:

*and I know you're just doing it to post a deadly clip, but that's a paraglider, right?

Microlight

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

He's flying over Oranmore at the moment. 10:30 PM and it's almost pitch dark. Hardly seems the most safety conscious person.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Saw him flying over and around Tracht beach in Kinvara there an hour ago. He'd have made a small fortune if he decided to land cause everyone around me seemed to be wondering if he was bringing people up for rides. Not one negative thing did I hear said about him.

I have to say too that there is a lovely boo coming from that engine, anyone know what sort of an engine he has running it? Before I heard it firsthand I thought it would sound like a F16 fighter jet, with the way some of ye were going on here about it. Unreal too.

I'm not going to believe your post is true / accurate unless you produce a HD video(You may recognise this request, it's similar to what you requested several times form other posters in this thread)

you seem to be going out if your way to defend him. When you arrived in this thread you never even heard of him / his aircraft, but over the last few weeks and many posts you have become a paramotor expert especially in the area of safety

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

He was flying around Salthill yesterday about half 6/7... I was in the water and he flew over my head, literally no more than 20 feet above me. Some spectacle! Later on he was doing swooping dives around the diving tower. Christ, he must fairly know what he's at, but still he was very very close to it at one stage...

It's cool, but I can see how he could spook someone or an animal pretty bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

He was flying around Salthill yesterday about half 6/7... I was in the water and he flew over my head, literally no more than 20 feet above me. Some spectacle! Later on he was doing swooping dives around the diving tower. Christ, he must fairly know what he's at, but still he was very very close to it at one stage...

It's cool, but I can see how he could spook someone or an animal pretty bad.

He terrified my two and a half year old who was paddling in the water near Blackrock at the time. Aggressive was the word my wife used to describe him which seems pretty apt from what I've seen of him before. Anyway, they had to leave as the little one was so upset. But hey, who cares, he was clearly enjoying himself and the rest of us are killjoys :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Is there any recent video of him from along the prom/Black rock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

i was on the diving board last night wheb he wqw swooping round and pulling dives about 15 foot over head, i thought it was entertaining but can see how it would discust most people

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

People need to post videos.

Notch000 wrote: »
    i was on the diving board last night wheb he wqw swooping round and pulling dives about 15 foot over head, i thought it was entertaining but can see how it would discust most people

Incredible flying skills he has so,as even physics would have trouble explaining how to do that-seriously,dives at 15 feet? Can't be done

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    People need to post videos.

Agree,surely someone can do that so we can have a proper look

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Jasus I was walking down Salthill prom this evening when a big noisy motor bike passed within no more than 1 meter of me. Shocked I was as I often walk the grand kids along here, just imagine if a rogue gust of wind was to blow the biker off course, or if someone was to distract him by shouting at him or something................

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

RustyNut wrote: »
    Jasus I was walking down Salthill prom this evening when a big noisy motor bike passed within no more than 1 meter of me. Shocked I was as I often walk the grand kids along here, just imagine if a rogue gust of wind was to blow the biker off course, or if someone was to distract him by shouting at him or something................

You must have been terrified, especially seeing how motorbikes are propelled by wind, have six degrees of freedom and don't have any designated areas they are supposed to run on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

My girlfriend and myself were walking a long the prom there in salthill yesterday evening when next thing I heard what I thought at first was a honda 50 but it was your man. He was directly above our heads, no more than 4 foot above us I'd say. Excuse he he said, but would ye have the time by any chance, no bother I said and I was just about to tell him the time when he roared out it's allright he said I see the time on your watch, it's half eight he said and he tore off like a rocket up into the sky laughing his hole off. Myself and the girlfriend thought it was fierce funny. I's just the way it happened, you'd nearly want to be there. He's some operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

My girlfriend and myself were walking a long the prom there in salthill yesterday evening when next thing I heard what I thought at first was a honda 50 but it was your man. He was directly above our heads, no more than 4 foot above us I'd say. Excuse he he said, but would ye have the time by any chance, no bother I said and I was just about to tell him the time when he roared out it's allright he said I see the time on your watch, it's half eight he said and he tore off like a rocket up into the sky laughing his hole off. Myself and the girlfriend thought it was fierce funny. I's just the way it happened, you'd nearly want to be there. He's some operator.

Recreation:
    http://rlv.zcache.co.uk/parachuting_square_sticker-r81e6c9f44a34422ba2a9b0fd2def4ff3_v9wf3_8byvr_324.jpg

Beautiful flying weather. Anyone seen our man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Yeah, he's flying away to his hearts content around Kinvara, The Burren and the surrounding area's and no one is saying a word to or about him.

Just back in myself-beautiful flying evening,used the local football pitch as a take off/landing area,had lots of people there when i came back taking pictures and coming over to chat-all seemed happy and excited by the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Yeah, he's flying away to his hearts content around Kinvara, The Burren and the surrounding area's and no one is saying a word to or about him.

The Burren is a better place to fly, and less populated. Once he's not 'worrying sheep' :P (half joking)

Paramotors were mentioned on Pat Kenny this morning. The law is about to change. All Paramotors will have to have a clear registration number. All pilots will have to comply with regulations so no more exceptions or grey areas.

People will be able to report dangerous flying. Low flying is restricted to take off & landing. All pilots must be insured & there will be separate qualifications to carry a passenger.

All of this has been bought to a head because of this pilot. There have been numerous complaints including complaints to the IAA from the Guards.

No one was really concerned about Paramotors before this guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Paramotors were mentioned on Pat Kenny this morning. The law is about to change. All Paramotors will have to have a clear registration number. All pilots will have to comply with regulations so no more exceptions or grey areas.

People will be able to report dangerous flying. Low flying is restricted to take off & landing. All pilots must be insured & there will be separate qualifications to carry a passenger.

All of this has been bought to a head because of this pilot. There have been numerous complaints including complaints to the IAA from the Guards.

Was he mentioned on the show?

Was he mentioned on the show?

No. It was about a girl who is going to use a Paramotor to follow migrating swans. She was on with an Irish Paramotor expert & he said about the change in the rules.

I heard that the final straw was when our guy buzzed Oranmore Garda Headquarters & so I was told, a car was dispatched to apprehend him but they lost him.

I heard, from a pilot, that there had been talk of rule changes but it wasn't on the urgent list until this guy came along. Apparently a number of people had already complained to the Gardai - I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread. And bare in mind that Salthill has cctv camera & a Garda station on the Prom.

No. It was about a girl who is going to use a Paramotor to follow migrating swans. She was on with an Irish Paramotor expert & he said about the change in the rules.

I heard that the final straw was when our guy buzzed Oranmore Garda Headquarters & so I was told, a car was dispatched to apprehend him but they lost him.

I heard, from a pilot, that there had been talk of rule changes but it wasn't on the urgent list until this guy came along. Apparently a number of people had already complained to the Gardai - I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread. And bare in mind that Salthill has cctv camera & a Garda station on the Prom.

Proposed changes,been on-going for over ten years now

mulbot wrote: »
    Proposed changes,been on-going for over ten years now

I don't think that it was a priority until this guy came along.

Carried on the motor? What is defined as low flying?

Carried on the motor? What is defined as low flying?

Whatever it says in the regs that will now apply to everyone.

Whatever it says in the regs that will now apply to everyone.

Same as what's been mentioned for over a decade-I await the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Same as what's been mentioned for over a decade-I await the day

While we wait - I posted before that maybe people should have a kite flying meet or a puc ard competition if he's flying over houses or urban areas. Kite flying is a traditional past time on the beach (not the prom).

While we wait - I posted before that maybe people should have a kite flying meet or a puc ard competition if he's flying over houses or urban areas. Kite flying is a traditional past time on the beach (not the prom).

To stop him flying?

• Advertisement

Advertisement