Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The guy that flies over South Park

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Discodog wrote: »
    Paramotors were mentioned on Pat Kenny this morning. The law is about to change. All Paramotors will have to have a clear registration number. All pilots will have to comply with regulations so no more exceptions or grey areas.

People will be able to report dangerous flying. Low flying is restricted to take off & landing. All pilots must be insured & there will be separate qualifications to carry a passenger.

All of this has been bought to a head because of this pilot. There have been numerous complaints including complaints to the IAA from the Guards.

No one was really concerned about Paramotors before this guy.

How do you know that?

How do you know that?
    There was nothing in the Pat Kenny piece - just a quick explanation of what it is and an assertion that the aviation authority is preparing to regulate the sector any time now. And then a discussion about migratory swans.

Still a bunch of blowhards in this thread ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

How do you know that?

Well it's some coincidence that the IAA have been talking about regulations for years. but suddenly decide to introduce them now.

People complained to the Guards & then the idiot buzzed Garda Headquarters. It's doesn't take much to believe that his flying has forced the IAA to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Still a bunch of blowhards in this thread ...
    Please keep it civil thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Has yer man posted on this Thread I wonder?!? /rubbernecker

I wondered that too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Glad to know I'm not the only nosey soul around discodog! :D

Glad to know I'm not the only nosey soul around discodog! :D

Nah we are just inquisitive :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Not to sure if it was this thread he had opened up or not but it was definitely boards.ie he was looking at on his phone when he did a loop the loop over my head in Kinvara there yesterday evening.

Some operator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Guy killed using one yesterday in Co Meath.

Can you imagine the damage it would have done if it came down on people?

LINK:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

Guy killed using one yesterday in Co Meath.

Can you imagine the damage it would have done if it came down on people?

LINK:

True,same as if a plane ,helicopter came down on people too. In relation to this thread,Yes,if the guy in galway does be flying over people's heads then it would be common sense to stop,

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Here are some pics of a paraglider "buzzing" blackrock last Friday evening.

He was flying low over a boat in the bay and then came in to do some low sweeps over blackrock.
    It didn't look particularly dangerous but he was just a pest and creating unnecessary hassle purely for his own adrenaline rush.

He then flew towards gentian hill and came back an hour later.

http://s19.postimg.org/wq79qen4j/2016_06_03_19_33_35.jpg

http://s19.postimg.org/dju2n86mr/2016_06_03_19_33_37.jpg

http://s19.postimg.org/f3zelmf0z/2016_06_03_19_33_46.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

buzz11 wrote: »
    Here are some pics of a paraglider "buzzing" blackrock last Friday evening.

He was flying low over a boat in the bay and then came in to do some low sweeps over blackrock.
    It didn't look particularly dangerous but he was just a pest and creating unnecessary hassle purely for his own adrenaline rush.

He then flew towards gentian hill and came back an hour later.

Thanks for that.

That looks really, really stupid.

Thanks for that.

That looks really, really stupid.

Why stupid? I don't like flying like this personally,i prefer to get up and away,following rivers,over lakes,etc taking pics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

mulbot wrote: »
    Why stupid? I don't like flying like this personally,i prefer to get up and away,following rivers,over lakes,etc taking pics

From a safety point of view, he looks too close to the divers and the boat, but it's hard to get perspective in a photo.
    However, from an enjoyment point of view, he looks annoying as f*ck on a gorgeous sunny day, with his lawnmower yoke wrecking heads!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Nancybee

As a matter of interest a foot launched powered paraglider is classed as a microlight, and as such is subject to the same rules and regulations.
    Forum rules prevent me posting the relevant links to the IAA website, but I can post the rules and regs if anyone is interested.

Microlight Aeroplane Classes

Microlight aeroplanes come in three different types (referred to as "Classes") ;

(a) Three-axis microlights - these are controlled by conventional ailerons on the wings and elevators and a rudder at the tail;
    (b) Weight-shift flexwing microlights - these have a delta shaped hang-glider type wing and are controlled by shifting the aeroplane's centre-of-gravity;
    (c) Powered parachute microlights - these fly under a paraglider type canopy wing these have a shrouded propeller (i.e. a protective guard around the propeller which prevents it interfering with the lines attaching the paraglider canopy).
    Some of the above microlight classes may be operated in seaplane or amphibian versions

Nancybee wrote: »
    As a matter of interest a foot launched powered paraglider is classed as a microlight, and as such is subject to the same rules and regulations.
    Forum rules prevent me posting the relevant links to the IAA website, but I can post the rules and regs if anyone is interested.

Microlight Aeroplane Classes

Microlight aeroplanes come in three different types (referred to as "Classes") ;

(a) Three-axis microlights - these are controlled by conventional ailerons on the wings and elevators and a rudder at the tail;
    (b) Weight-shift flexwing microlights - these have a delta shaped hang-glider type wing and are controlled by shifting the aeroplane's centre-of-gravity;
    (c) Powered parachute microlights - these fly under a paraglider type canopy wing these have a shrouded propeller (i.e. a protective guard around the propeller which prevents it interfering with the lines attaching the paraglider canopy).
    Some of the above microlight classes may be operated in seaplane or amphibian versions

Already posted & the regulations are about to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Nancybee

Already posted & the regulations are about to change.

Sorry about that

Thanks.

If they are about to be changed, (but not yet changed), then the present rules and regulations still apply.
    He is breaking those rules, and hence breaking the law.
    Risking his own life for his enjoyment is one thing, but putting other peoples
    lives at risk is altogether a different thing.

mulbot wrote: »

As the people above said, being a pest and breaking the law.

• Advertisement

Nancybee wrote: »
    Sorry about that

Thanks.

If they are about to be changed, (but not yet changed), then the present rules and regulations still apply.
    He is breaking those rules, and hence breaking the law.
    Risking his own life for his enjoyment is one thing, but putting other peoples
    lives at risk is altogether a different thing.

I wouldn't expect you to read 19 pages :)

Paramotor pilots claim that there is a loophole in the regulations that mean that they don't have to follow rules. According to the IAA this is about to change.

I wouldn't expect you to read 19 pages :)

Paramotor pilots claim that there is a loophole in the regulations that mean that they don't have to follow rules. According to the IAA this is about to change.

The Irish Air Laws below apply to FLPA Pilots.

I've just put that heading and not the list because that's where the loophole is-An exempted pilot is not a FLPA pilot in terms of IAA law- Perhaps it will change,

https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-source/publications/aeronautical-notices/g---general/an-g13-issue-01powered-paragliders.pdf?sfvrsn=8,

Here's the " new"regulations for powered pramotors-nothing's changed really,except to carry a registration number on the motor

Not sure if it's the same guy, but someone is paramotoring around over our houses here in near darkness...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

What's all the fear about one of these paraglider guys wiping out a city block or the prom if the engine fails??
    They are attached to a parachute!
    If the engine stops (all going well) they float gently to earth and hitch a lift home.
    No drama at all.

deandean wrote: »
    What's all the fear about one of these paraglider guys wiping out a city block or the prom if the engine fails??
    They are attached to a parachute!
    If the engine stops (all going well) they float gently to earth and hitch a lift home.
    No drama at all.

Try telling that to this guy's family

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

This is him - doesn't look to be flying dangerously here...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Saw him flying over Doughiska estates yesterday for 15 mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

16 pages or so,
    Y'all need to get on with your own lives

• Advertisement

Great yokes altogether, you can even fly from Ireland to Africa on one of them :D

Great competition for Michael :eek:

Cork man to fly to Africa on craft powered by lawnmower engine

Advertisement