Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ched Evans Wins Appeal

• 21-04-2016 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭

Finally some justice for Evans, the girl should get prison time for ruining his life.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-36099522

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

There will be a retrial it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

ASOT wrote: »
    the girl should get prison time for ruining his life.

I wouldn't go that far just yet, interesting to see what this fresh evidence is though.

I've never been convinced he was guilty in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

5starpool wrote: »
    There will be a retrial it seems.

Yeah retrial orderd, with the new evidence that was presented to be included.
    maximoose wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far just yet, interesting to see what this fresh evidence is though.

I've never been convinced he was guilty in this case.

Yeah maybe I jumped the gun a bit, but obviously if he is found innocent in the retrial she should face some sort of charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

ASOT wrote: »
    but obviously if he is found innocent in the retrial she should face some sort of charge.

Eh?
    Theres often a huge grey area where the evidence isn't enough to convict, but nothing to suggest the witness was lying.

I was a prosecution witness for an assault case once myself, and the accused was found not guilty. Should I have faced 'some sort of charge'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If the girl gets a charge (on what grounds exactly?) because the court convicted him, it'll just discourage people from reporting these incidents and pushing for it to go to trial because people will know that they could get in trouble themselves if the accused isn't convicted. It'd be a very dangerous precedent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If it turned out that she blatantly lied, and got him arrested for something that didn't happen, then she should face charges.

We don't know that's the case though. As someone above said, there are loads of reasons why this could have come about again, and it's best to wait and see what the reasons are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Delighted for evans as i beleive he did nothing wrong. I hope the woman is punished or suffers in life when evans is found not guilty. She ruined his life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

She didn't ruin his life. He ruined his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Beefy78 wrote: »
    She didn't ruin his life. He ruined his life.

How so, he was doing what every other footballer was doing throughout the uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I'm amazed to find out so many boards members were actually witness to the events in question. Have any of ye been asked to give evidence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

niallo27 wrote: »
    How so, he was doing what every other footballer was doing throughout the uk

Not all footballers, not only footballers.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Milkers wrote: »
    I'm amazed to find out so many boards members were actually witness to the events in question. Have any of ye been asked to give evidence?

For the defendant or the prosecutor? :p

The whole thing was ****ed up in my eyes anyway, the deleted tweets and facebook posts didnt seem consistent with someone who was raped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Amazing the twitter furore over this since 9am this morning from both the pro-Evans to the #ibelieveher side.
    No one was actually there so no one knows what happened, people getting carried away with what they wnat to believe, the feminist brigade in particular.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I actually can't believe some of the posts here.

People are saying if he's found innocent then she should be made to suffer for ruining his life. We all know this isn't a black or white case. As someone mentioned earlier, just because there isn't enough evidence does not mean this girl was not raped. If we start punishing people and 'making them suffer' just because there wasn't enough evidence to support a charge, then it sets an awful precedent and people will be turned off reporting cases of rape/sexual assault.

Mind you, I'm not really surprised considering some of the chauvanistic lad-type 'banter' from a certain few in this forum anyway.

If he's found innocent then he should be allowed get on with his life and go back to playing football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Faugheen wrote: »
    I actually can't believe some one of the posts here.

People are One person who since admitted he jumped the gun saying if he's found innocent then she should be made to suffer for ruining his life.

Relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Mind you, I'm not really surprised considering some of the chauvanistic lad-type 'banter' from a certain few in this forum anyway.

Did you expect 'cucumber sandwiches wearing a beret' type of banter here?

I've rarely come across chauvinistic banter here.

If the new evidence is something she deliberately hid or lied about when cross examined, she should be punished. If not, then fair enough.

Does anyone know whether or not if Evans wins his appeal, does the girl lose her right to anonymity?

No reason, just curious about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm amazed you didn't think we followed the case or read the court transcripts...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

If he wins the retrial, he'll take them to the cleaners with a civil suit for lost potential earnings, time spent in prison etc

If he wins the retrial, he'll take them to the cleaners with a civil suit for lost potential earnings, time spent in prison etc

Um...take who to the cleaners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The question will be what the 'new' evidence is. If it's evidence that calls into question her credibility then I guess one could proceed to a further conversation. Jumping of the gun in full swing until that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The question will be what the 'new' evidence is. If it's evidence that calls into question her credibility then I guess one could proceed to a further conversation. Jumping of the gun in full swing until that point.
    Pure speculation here but I recall reading about a previous allegation made by the victim that may go down the credibility route if used by Evans' defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I actually can't believe some of the posts here.

People are saying if he's found innocent then she should be made to suffer for ruining his life. We all know this isn't a black or white case. As someone mentioned earlier, just because there isn't enough evidence does not mean this girl was not raped. If we start punishing people and 'making them suffer' just because there wasn't enough evidence to support a charge, then it sets an awful precedent and people will be turned off reporting cases of rape/sexual assault.

If he's found innocent then he should be allowed get on with his life and go back to playing football.

I agree. Unless found to be intentionally fabricated no one should risk being punished for making such a claim

However I do think he should have been allowed play football since his release. Stopping excons from working is not a good message for rehabilitation

ShooterSF wrote: »
    However I do think he should have been allowed play football since his release.

He wasn't stopped from playing football by any law. To that extent, he was allowed to play...just that clubs chose not to give him a contract because of the reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

He wasn't stopped from playing football by any law. To that extent, he was allowed to play...just that clubs chose not to give him a contract because of the reaction.

True. I didn't mean to infer he was legally stopped more that as a society we need to stop continuing to punish ex-cons after they served their sentence.

Um...take who to the cleaners?

The UK government/justice system..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If he was completely innocent and this new evidence showed it then I'd be surprised to see a retrial.

People are jumping the gun big time here methiinks.

The UK government/justice system..

"The justice system" is not even an entity that can be sued...he might as well shake his fist at the heavens.

And highly unlikely he'd have a claim against the UK unless there is some suggestion that they concocted evidence or participated in a miscarriage of justice. Why would they pay up where a jury convicted and he is now relying on new evidence ie. evidence that was not known at the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

From my memory I'm not sure the girl even accused Evans of raping her because I don't think she realised it had happened. I thought she was too drunk to remember and Evans admitting to having sex(he said consensual) was what got him into trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

kstand wrote: »
    Amazing the twitter furore over this since 9am this morning from both the pro-Evans to the #ibelieveher side.
    No one was actually there so no one knows what happened, people getting carried away with what they wnat to believe, the feminist brigade in particular.

When Evens was initially arrested in 2011, he should have claimed that he is a Muslim. That way, the feminists would have defended Evans instead of trying to destroy his life.

"The justice system" is not even an entity that can be sued...he might as well shake his fist at the heavens.

And highly unlikely he'd have a claim against the UK unless there is some suggestion that they concocted evidence or participated in a miscarriage of justice. Why would they pay up where a jury convicted and he is now relying on new evidence ie. evidence that was not known at the time?

If he wins the retrial and proves he was wrongly convicted he'll be entitled to compensation..

http://www.falselyaccused.co.uk/wrongful-convictions/compensation-for-wrongful-imprisonment/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

If he wins the retrial and proves he was wrongly convicted he'll be entitled to compensation..

http://www.falselyaccused.co.uk/wrongful-convictions/compensation-for-wrongful-imprisonment/

Afaik you need to effectively be able to prove that you didn't commit the crime to be eligible for compensation, which is different to just getting your conviction overturned.

There was an Irish lad that was convicted for rape in the UK and did 17 years inside before his conviction was quashed due to DNA evidence which raised doubts over his conviction. He got £40 and a train ticket after being released and that was it. He lost his compensation appeal sometime last year.

Seems a bit of a cúntish system they have over there.

They have already stated that the grounds are because of "new" evidence though.

I don't think his legal team have claimed there was any impropriety in the trial or prosecution handling of the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Clubs tried to take him on but there was orchestrated campaigns by outsiders to force the clubs to back out.

Mob rule basically.

Clubs tried to take him on but there was orchestrated campaigns by outsiders to force the clubs to back out.

Mob rule basically.

Society does tend to frown on those convicted of rape.

It's hardly orchestrated. It's a perfectly natural repulsion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Society does tend to frown on those convicted of rape.

It's hardly orchestrated. It's a perfectly natural repulsion.
    There was a certain element of the mob mentality. A quick look on twitter for example and you will see both sides air their views vociferously and that goes for most cases that involve a celebrity. People get extra outraged/defensive when it's somebody famous..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Found not guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Robbed of two and a half years of his life and of his football career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Man. He must be delighted in one sense and destroyed in another. Top scorer and premier league teams sniffing around. Was probably going to get a transfer and a big cheque instead he gets prison and his career ruined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Wow, I can't even imagine the emotions he must be feeling right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

The first verdict is a disgrace and I hope the likes of Jessica Ennis Hill and the other feminist mouthpieces who did everything to stop him making a living when released come forth and apologise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

He's 27.
    Hopefully he can salvage some sort of playing career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Lock her up !

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

ricero wrote: »
    Lock her up !

If it can be proven she lied then absolutely. I haven't read any of the coverage though so have no idea if that is remotely the case or it just couldn't be proven the he did do as accused.

You may well just have been doing a Trump on it though.

Edit: I see now that there was no accusation of lying at all, only simply an argument as to whether it was consensual or not. Sordid case either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Will he belet (by the mob that were campaigning before) get his career back on track if he's able, I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

thing is she didnt accuse him of anything,she couldnt remember is what she said.

it was the cps that said it was rape,not her.. although i think she lied about how drunk she was

I have seen here that there was a suggestion that they had sex before, this was not raised by either party in the initial trial, and that was the new information.

If that is the case, given the warnings the police give to all parties about failing to say anything later relied on and all that, well then one crowd deserve an apology far more than the two at the centre of this trial.

And that's the jury in the first case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Will he belet (by the mob that were campaigning before) get his career back on track if he's able, I wonder.

Of course not, the Guardian is already falling over itself to keep Mr Evan is evil manipulator and sexual predator message alive and well.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

thing is she didnt accuse him of anything,she couldnt remember is what she said.

it was the cps that said it was rape,not her.. although i think she lied about how drunk she was

How did the cops get involved if she didnt accuse him of anything ?

Was there anything about the deleted Facebook posts and the tweets saying she was going be rich.

• Advertisement
Advertisement