Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping boxes London to Ireland

Options
  • 21-04-2016 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi,

I am helping someone move from London to Ireland in the near future and was wondering what was the best method of shipping 8-10 boxes of household goods? Is hiring a van over there and self-drive an economical option or is man-with-a-van cheaper? No furniture involved, just boxed household items?

thanks
    M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Depending on the weight of the boxes sending them by post or courier might be a good option. That's what I did when I moved and it worked out quite cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

You could also get a quote for a pallet - plenty of companies providing this service if you Google them.. Might work out cheaper than individual boxes, and should be much cheaper than hiring a van..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

If it's just 8-10 boxes, using a pallet company or a courier company would be the cheapest, although it would take longer and be more hassle than a more expensive tailored service. You could get lucky and find some lad with a van who'd be willing to do it for silly money, but most man with a van set-ups are not operating legitimately and lack the required insurance cover etc and you might be taking a big risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

My friend has used Shiply a number of times and all worked out. You put an ad in and transporters put up a quote. You don't have to accept any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I moved a motorcycle from the far side of the UK, in the middle of nowhere, to Dublin last month. I put it on anyvan.ie and guys bid for the job.

Give it a try and see what kind of quotes you get.

The guy who got mine was told there was no hurry on delivery but it needed to be collected within a week. The bike arrived in about 10 days and cost me 360 euro. That was quite good consider the time and effort involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just to note on AnyVan, Shiply and other similar sites, they are a great place to get competitive quotes for moves. However the vetting process employed for the likes of insurance cover and general legitimacy is not particularly stringent and there's no way to know exactly who you'll be dealing with regardless of what's in a profile. I've a friend in London who uses AnyVan to poach similar work and had built up a good feedback score, all the while without any of the proper insurance and falsely portraying himself as a long established company with a huge fleet of vans and trucks. I imagine such tactics are employed by many users of these sites. Then of course there's VAT and TAX affairs. I've seen some pretty crazy quotes being offered which after fuel, insurance and all other costs (not forgetting the websites cut), would leave the drivers struggling to even make minimum wage and that's before even taking the operating and maintenance costs of running such a business into consideration.

Due to the nature of such websites, there's always going to be a stream of operators offering their service, so anyone who succumbs to the realisation of investment, will be replaced by fresh enthusiasm and ever competitive quotes. It's certainly a great idea for a website.

Advertisement