Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir or Vodafone

• 21-04-2016 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

After some appalling service from Virgin Media I am looking for another tv/broadband provider. The €25/month deal from Ear is very attractive on paper – if I changed everything to them Inc. mobile I would be saving €75 a month for the 1st year – but it’s a 2 year contract! Also looking at Vodafone. Sky is out I think as it is €€€ and I don’t have a landline. I am not much of a “live” tv watcher at all, broadband is the most important part of the package for me, don’t mind losing the sky channels as I have Now TV. Until recently I was on the 30MB broadband from Virgin - didn’t have a problem. Problems started when they upgraded it. Also had the old tv box as my house was only capable of getting MMDS until recently so I never had Horizon etc.
    Am I asking for trouble thinking about Ear? What is their recording like – I would depend on series link etc. Ear are putting in a landline etc. for no cost – which is probably not a bad thing. I was told there is a cabinet nearby so I would be getting close to the 100MB. I was getting about 60MB out of the 240mb promised by VM. As long as I have decent broadband I don’t care really. So what are your opinions of Ear vs. Vodafone?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well if you don't have a land line, then you won't be able to get Eir or Vodafone either. Sky/Eir/Vodafone all work over the same land line and technology.

Virgin have by far the best Broadband in Ireland. If you tell us what issues you are having with Virgin, we maybe able to help you fix those issues, which would typically be better then having to move providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lyoness

Eir are putting in a landline for me.

They way I have been treated by VM if they offered me a years free services I would not go back.
    As you are using the word 'we' how about looking into my case ( which Comreg had taken on) and refunding me the money VM had taken from my bank account?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

lyoness wrote: »
    They way I have been treated by VM if they offered me a years free services I would not go back.
    As you are using the word 'we' how about looking into my case ( which Comreg had taken on) and refunding me the money VM had taken from my bank account?

"we" as in the forum members of boards.ie

I don't work for and never have worked for Virgin or any other ISP (I'm in fact a software engineer).

However I have been a mod of this forum and the broadband forum for many years and have helped many posters with their internet connections, fixing them and getting the most out of them.

I'm sorry to hear you have had a bad experience with VM. The truth is you can have a terrible experience with any ISP. The broadband forum is literally full of posts of people also having terrible experiences with Eir/Sky/Vodafone.

The truth is the vast majority of people have no major problems with Virgin/Eir/Sky/Vodafone. But unfortunately there will always be the 1% of people who have genuine problems with any ISP.

Having said that when you say you only got 60mb out of your 240mb Virgin connection, that sounds like a normal problem that many people have with their wifi setup and something that you can very easily fix and end up getting 200mb/s from Virgin by simply adding a €70 802.11ac wifi router. Strictly speaking this isn't the fault of Virgin and would normally be a problem with your setup. This is something that we the members of boards could certainly have helped you fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 noblewarrior

Hi, I have signed up to an Eir bundle 3 months ago and i am disapointed wit the TV reception, the lip sync is often out and sometimes the reception drops for a few seconds. This also happens on recording. I am looking at hard wiring the tv instead of using the plug in system they use. Re thye Eir mobile, I am appalled at the reception, dropped calls, failed calls, messages either not recieved or come in hours or days later, the same with vvoice messages. I am now trying to get out of the contract, anyone got any advice.
    I have complaine to the local shop, changed sim card, used another phone etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Hi, I have signed up to an Eir bundle 3 months ago and i am disapointed wit the TV reception, the lip sync is often out and sometimes the reception drops for a few seconds. This also happens on recording. I am looking at hard wiring the tv instead of using the plug in system they use. Re thye Eir mobile, I am appalled at the reception, dropped calls, failed calls, messages either not recieved or come in hours or days later, the same with vvoice messages. I am now trying to get out of the contract, anyone got any advice.
    I have complaine to the local shop, changed sim card, used another phone etc.

Very hard to get out of Eir when in a contract, best course of action is launch a complaint With comreg...the communications Regulator with a log of all the problems you are having and proof of times of calls to Eir to try and get this issues resolved.

Comreg 01 804 9600

If more people actully lodged official complaints with Comreg a lot of issues would be fixed a hell of a lot quicker
    https://www.comreg.ie/

• Advertisement
Advertisement