Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front end design cost

Options
  • 21-04-2016 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've recently started developing a web application. It's aimed at small and medium enterprises and when finished will be subscription based.

I'm doing it on my own and while not ideal, I simply don't have the funds to take on anyone at this stage. I would have preferred to have a partner but I just haven't come across the right person (not that I've tried very hard!).

My question is in relation to front end design. At the moment my plan is to develop the app to completion, including the front end (I can do it, but it's not my forte and I'm fairly slow at it), then get an experienced designer to look at the UI & UX and improve it to a more professional standard. The application is complicated but not hugely so. It will have 4 or 5 main sections and will have a consistent design across the app. It will need to be optimised for mobile at launch.

Anyone any ideas or comments on this strategy (I'm wondering should I engage a designer earlier in the process)? Also, how much should I expect to pay to get a designer to do this work? And anyone any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Have you looked at Enterprise Ireland for a grant? If you have a MVP like you suggest then it will increase your chances. They can also recommend people who they use as partners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

smash wrote: »
    Have you looked at Enterprise Ireland for a grant? If you have a MVP like you suggest then it will increase your chances. They can also recommend people who they use as partners.

I had a meeting with a guy that was arranged via my local enterprise office. Was shockingly bad - the guy waffled out his life story for almost 2 hours and gave very little practical advice. At the end all I got from it was that the support is quite limited unless your idea is patentable or exportable. Given further development the second is certainly possible, but not until I get the product launched.

Have to say the meeting put me off seeking any further help from the Government

Is it an app or a website or both?

smash wrote: »
    Is it an app or a website or both?

It's a website that functions like an application. So would it be called a web app?

Maybe have a search of dribbble or behance to find local designers you could approach for a potential partnership. At least you'd get to see their work before making contact.

• Advertisement

Cheers will have a look at those sites

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I'm a front end UI designer, if you want to have a chat PM me.

Advertisement