Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny, music weekend.

Options
  • 21-04-2016 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭

So, the Roots music festival is on in a weeks time, and I plan to visit.
    No word about it here, will it be a busy weekend?
    Do Kilkenny natives even notice it's on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Best festival in the city hands down. Best visibility of any festival, surpassing the Cat Laughs and the Arts Festival in recent years. It's got the best vibe going and it's only getting better.

As it's a bank holiday, as well as further 1916 centenary events going on, I reckon it'll be a very busy weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Great stuff! Heading down with a few friends so should be good. Some great music and acts taking part, but it's like a secret society media wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Some great music and acts taking part, but it's like a secret society media wise.
    And it's better for it!

Much better festival than the others in Kilkenny. Loads of free gigs given by music lovers for music lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

My favorite weekend of the year round here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hotdrop

I think this post from a fan that travels from UK every year gives an idea of what to expect:
    "Looking forward to hanging out with the loveliest people on the planet at Kilkenny Roots Festival next weekend. Can't wait to breath in that magic that hangs in the air and flows through that city. I was thinking about some of the wonderful gigs I have seen there and those special 'WOW' moments that as a live music enthusiast you crave and there have been loads...
    John Murry playing Little Coloured Balloons as if reciting straight off an email from the Grim Reaper himself, Chuck Prophet swaggering out at the Set after a run of 30 odd shows with a huge grin poised to blow us all away, Phosphorescent hitting them opening bars of 'Los Angeles', the Barr Brothers exploding heads and minds on a sweaty heaving lunchtime session at Cleeres, the big man Gripka giving us a glimpse of what Creedence would have been if they were still going, and the sheer entertainment value that exudes from every pore of Mark Mulcahy's being.. Kilkenny Roots Festival, a home from home, a mecca of musical minds, and most of all a meeting of GREAT GREAT people. My kind of people... music people."

• Advertisement
Advertisement