Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchased investment property with Furniture and all appliances

Options
  • 21-04-2016 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hello,

I bought my first investment property in January 2015. As part of the deal all existing furniture and appliances were included in the final price of the house . The value of the furniture and appliances was put at €2500. Just wondering am I entitled to deduct it as a capital allowance over 8 years.

thanking all in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ping pong

Yes you can, as long as the valuation is based on real values.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

lotusm wrote: »
    Hello,

I bought my first investment property in January 2015. As part of the deal all existing furniture and appliances were included in the final price of the house . The value of the furniture and appliances was put at €2500. Just wondering am I entitled to deduct it as a capital allowance over 8 years.

Seems like a very low value for the furniture, fixtures and appliances.......
    Yes- though- you are entitled to deduct it as a capital allowance over 8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

lotusm wrote: »
    Hello,

A little off topic - when you paid stamp duty of 1% did you deduct the 2500 to arrive at value of the property, just something I noted recently as a way to save a few euro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

A little off topic - when you paid stamp duty of 1% did you deduct the 2500 to arrive at value of the property, just something I noted recently as a way to save a few euro.

That is not allowed. The entire transaction or series of transactions has to be taxed as one. When stamping the deed it has to be declared whether or not is is part of another transaction or series of transactions or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

4ensic15 wrote: »
    That is not allowed. The entire transaction or series of transactions has to be taxed as one. When stamping the deed it has to be declared whether or not is is part of another transaction or series of transactions or not.

I think the point is that stamp duty is on the value of the property being assigned not the contents. When purchasing property with contents included it can be worth placing a value on the contents separate to the property. That is from a trusted solicitor. Although I've no interest for sake of say €50 (1% of €5000)

• Advertisement
Advertisement