Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mileage Question

Options
  • 21-04-2016 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

I cant really see the answer to this on the revenue site

Its a simple mileage question.

I call into a site 3 time a week on my way home from my regular place of work. This only involves an extra 3km on my journey.

But over the year that amounts to c. 360km or a little over €200 in mileage.

Now as the journey was on my way home I never claimed mileage on it, but after 2 years and a possible further 2 years of the same coming up it begins to stack up.

If I were to return to the office after each visit the mileage would be 24km per visit (round trip) or 2880km per annum (€1700 per year). Not the best use of time, but a lot of money none the less. My home is a further 45km from the site.

Are there any guidance notes regarding mileage en-rout to the office. I tend to do meetings on the way to work or the way home to save on time and therefore would not have much mileage. But I seem to be missing out on a trick here.

I am self employed - if that makes a difference.

All I can find on revenue.ie is:
    Business Travel involving travel directly to/from home

Where an employee proceeds on a business journey directly from home to a temporary place of work (rather than commencing that business journey from his/her normal place of work) or returns home directly, the business kilometres should be calculated by reference to the lesser of -

the distance between home and the temporary place of work; or
    the distance between the normal place of work and the temporary place of work.

I'm sure I cant be the first person to ask this, opinions sought among peers seem to imply that I can charge mileage at a rate of from the office and back as this is less than office to site then home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lockedout2

I am self employed!!!!

You can't claim mileage!!!!

You can claim for the costs incurred in running a motor vehicle for a year and then add back the personal element.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Lockedout2 wrote: »
    I am self employed!!!!

You can't claim mileage!!!!

You can claim for the costs incurred in running a motor vehicle for a year and then add back the personal element.

well that puts that to bed fairly quickly.

Advertisement