Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashing a cheque

Options
  • 21-04-2016 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

I have an insurance cheque from Allianz drawn on BOI ranelagh. I live in Tipperary. I have a mostly unused BOI current and savings account. Can I go to a local branch here and get that cashed. I used to work there so I know you can see the money is there and draw it right away, but considering all the recent changes which made me switch to a different bank I'm just wondering if there's some new red tape one must jump through to get one's money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sharon

Hi Dewdropdeb,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Once a BOI cheque is not crossed or 'a/c payee only' it can be cashed in the branch it is drawn on. 

The majority of these cheques are crossed and will usually need to be lodged to an account in the payee's name. 

Thanks,

Sharon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

Hi Dewdropdeb,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Once a BOI cheque is not crossed or 'a/c payee only' it can be cashed in the branch it is drawn on. 

The majority of these cheques are crossed and will usually need to be lodged to an account in the payee's name. 

Thanks,

Sharon
    So if I lodge it in this old savings account can I then withdraw it? 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sharon

Hi Dewdropdeb,

Cheques lodged to an account will need to be fully cleared before the funds are available to withdraw. This can take 3-5 working days. 

Thanks,

Sharon

Advertisement