Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunshaughlin-to move or not to move

Options
  • 21-04-2016 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi there, we're considering moving from Dublin to Dunshaughlin as we've outgrown our current home. Can anyone give any advice as to whether this is a good idea or not? We love the idea of a small town away from the hussle and bustle but since this will be our "forever home" we need to be sure it's the right thing to do.

Any posts iv come across have all been older ones so I'm looking for some upto date info. Is the commute to city centre stil a big problem? I'd need to get to ballsbridge for work and obviously don't want to spend half my life on a train or bus. Shops,restaurants etc. - have they improved? A lot of the older posts were complaining about lack of choice etc.

If anyone could give their opinion on this id appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a commute to Ballsbridge in the morning for work via public transport will still take about 2 hours, maybe more. Same on way home.

Very poor choice of restaurants in Dunshaughlin, the only decent place is The Shibin which is pub food. Aside from that it's better to travel to Ratoath, Ashbourne or Navan for restaurants.

The Shibin is a nice pub and so is the re-opened Carberrys.

Supervalu is the only supermarket in all of Dunshaughlin to buy food/groceries and is generally quite expensive. Once again one needs to head to Ratoath, Navan, Ashbourne, Clonee or Blanchardstown for better prices/more choice in other supermarkets.

Broadband is an improving situation with speeds of up to 100meg available inside the town itself. Broadband outside of Dunshaughlin village is really poor but many areas will get upgraded to Fibre To The Home over the next 12 months.

Cable is not available in Dunshaughlin so Sky are the only provider for pay tv.
    An aerial will pick up Irish channels and many UK channels all though reception of UK terrestrial channels can be hit and miss at times.

There are 2 primary schools and a secondary school in the area.

The bus service is ok, but during the afternoon and weekends its not unusual to be spending up to an hour waiting for a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Roger50

Hi Gonzo thanks so much for the info....even if it wasn't what I hoped to hear. I would probably be leaving around 6.30 in the morning for work...would driving to dunboyne for the train and linking up with the clim sills train no reduce the commute time significantly?

Thank again

• Registered Users Posts: 7 charloda

Hi Roger50

Made the move to Dunshaughlin year and half ago myself. Agree re restaurants little or none bar the shibin.

The positives are for me anyway, welcome to the town from the locals, great gaa club caters for all ages, good running club again for all levels, blackbusk golf course on doorstep, pitch and putt course. Bar scene not bad,

Very happy with the primary school, big advantage is lack of traffic you are rarely if ever stuck in traffic, spin down to blanchardstown in 20 minutes most of the time.

Supervalu does have a captive market all right, but Aldi have planning in for store at moment wether they get it or not is another thing, but as the town grows its only matter of time before themselves or Lidl get in.

Best element for me anyway is the pace of life after living in Dublin for so long the peace and quiet iis fantastic, and if you miss the buzz or facilites that big towns provide its not far away..

Hi Charloda, thanks a mil for taking the time to reply.
    The quiet life really does appeal to us but obvious the route to work has to be feasible. Do you or anyone there you know have to commute to Dublin? I'm trying to look at all options that could make it work. Would you know if I'd get to the navan risk parkway in 20 mins in the morning if I left at 6.30? Another option is to go from dunboyne but that's a lot of messing with different trains.

Thanks again

Hi Adelcrowsmel, that's brilliant I could certainly live with that. Thanks for your reply and taking the time....much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 charloda

Navan parkway maybe 20 mins to 25 mins, all I know is you wont meet a car I would imagine 20 would prob do it allright

That's great thanks again.
    Would anyone happen to know anything about supple park or ardlea or any other estates close to the village?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

charloda wrote: »
    Navan parkway maybe 20 mins to 25 mins, all I know is you wont meet a car I would imagine 20 would prob do it allright

You'll go it in that time alright. Navan Rd costs €4 a day so factor that ino your costs over free at M3 parkway. You'll also get a seat at the M3.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

Roger50 wrote: »
    That's great thanks again.
    Would anyone happen to know anything about supple park or ardlea or any other estates close to the village?

Ardlea would be a fairly settled quiet estate. Alot of the families that moved when it was built in the late 80s still there.

I was thinking of the m3 station alright....it's just a bit more train hopping than I'd like but obviously will do whatever works out best. I presume there's no issue getting to the m3 station early in the morning?

Do you know supple park? There have been a few houses for sale there in recent months and just wondered what it's like....seems lovely from what I can tell at a glance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

I was thinking of the m3 station alright....it's just a bit more train hopping than I'd like but obviously will do whatever works out best. I presume there's no issue getting to the m3 station early in the morning?

Do you know supple park? There have been a few houses for sale there in recent months and just wondered what it's like....seems lovely from what I can tell at a glance

Supple park has a very good location. Pretty much first turn once you hit the Village.

In terms of houses....most estates were built around 1990-2000 and therefore would be of very similar standards.

Thanks Galego, and would you know if it's considered a nice area? It looks very pleasant from the outside looking in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Thanks Galego, and would you know if it's considered a nice area? It looks very pleasant from the outside looking in
    I dont live in this estate, but not too far from it, and in my opinion is a nice estate. I think it has one of the best locations in the village. You avoid any possible traffic in the middle of the village, next to the english school, next to supervalue, next to main street,.......
    I know few people living in this estate and they seem to like it. But most estates in the village would be nice. I cant think of any to avoid to be honest.

I kinda thought any estates I looked at seemed nice alright so glad to hear that's the case. Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hoanymole

Hi Roger,

We moved from Dublin in December. I commute to Ranelagh every day and it's a piece of cake! The Sillan bus takes about 45 mins (bombs down the bus lane non-stop) to get to Baggot Street bridge and you walk or Dublin Bike the rest. Best times to get the bus or 7 or 7.30 (early start, early finish)

I get the 5.10 the bus back from Nassau Street, it goes through the port tunnel and I am at my house for 6 most days. Or I can get the 5.45 and I am home for 6.40.

Admittedly there are not any decent cafes or restaurants in Dunshaughlin but Avoca is opening in the Autumn a couple of miles away near the M3 toll bridge. Belinter House and Carton House aren't too far away if you're in need of a bit of sophistication!

But mostly, there is no trade off for the space we have been able to afford in Dunshaughlin vs Property we could afford in Dublin.

Ed

Hi Ed, I have to say that's brilliant to hear....I really hoped the commute wouldn't stop us and from the sounds of that it wont(in fact I might actually get to work quicker!!!).

Not too worried about cafes or restaurants because with young kids we won't be going to them anyway😀

Thanks again-much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Hi OP, dunshaughlin has very young population with lots of things to do for the kids like Girl guides, GAA, Soccor clubs etc . In fact it is a great place to rare children i would safely say. I commute to Donnybrook everyday and it takes about 50,60 minutes most mornings, even shorter when the schools are off.

I would hate to live in Dublin again after 18 years in Dunshaughlin.

Hi Maysa07-thanks for that. It is exactly that sense of community we want to bring our children up in. It has just always appealed to us and the only thing stopping us was whether or not it was too big a distance-obviously when there's no traffic everywhere is still within distance but the reality of getting to work has to be considered....no point spending all day getting to and from work and not being able to enjoy the gorgeous surroundings of dunshaughlin and the extra space you have in your house.

There have been some really positive replies regarding the commute so I think we may be able to put that concern to bed and really think about putting this in motion.

Thanks again

Advertisement