Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WESTPORTIF 2016

Options
  • 21-04-2016 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

logo-2016.png

Cycling clubs Westport Covey wheelers and Western Lakes of Ballinrobe, will be hosting a midsummer weekend of cycling suitable for cyclists of all abilities.

The routes will bring cyclists through spectacular scenery in west Mayo and Galway. Cyclists of all abilities will have challenging routes to choose from - an 80km or a 160 km route and NEW this year is a 120km option.

For more info visit our website www.westportif.ie

Register before 1st May to be in with a chance to win a fantastic bike sponsored by SKODA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭PATJOE

Trying to sort a discount code for boardsies

10% off for Boards.ie

Discount Code: board10

Lots of incentives to book before May 1st.....

Cheaper price €35
    Cycling jersey in your size €49
    Chance to win a fantastic bike sponsored by Skoda Monaghan & Sons

Also a Boards.ie discount code: board10

www.westportif.ie

Don't forget the discount code for boards.ie

Register before 1st of May....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Doh, I forgot the discount, but never mind. I did see that there was an optional charity donation on the entry form. Does this mean that none of the main fee goes to charity? Also, I didn't see any mention of a 120k route, is that not going to happen or is the web page not updated yet?

• Advertisement

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Doh, I forgot the discount, but never mind. I did see that there was an optional charity donation on the entry form. Does this mean that none of the main fee goes to charity? Also, I didn't see any mention of a 120k route, is that not going to happen or is the web page not updated yet?

A proportion of the profits still go to charity but we added that option for some that wanted to raise more money - sponsorship cards are available from the charity too.

Sorry the website is being updated but if you click on the 160k route the information for 120k is there too. (It's just a short cut on the 160k route!)

Thanks for the information. It was great when I did it two years ago and I'm looking forward to doing it again this year. I don't really feel up to 160k but 80k hardly seemed worth the trip so I'm very happy there is a 120k option although I appreciate each different route adds more effort to the organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I signed up for this a couple of months ago and am really looking forward to it. I love that part of the country.

I've been out of sportives for the last few years but am getting back into a bit of training with a few targets and this 160 will be my main summer event. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

A gang of us from my club have registered for the 80. I normally do the longer routes but I'm planning to enjoy the nightlife of Westport on the Friday and Saturday night so 80km is just enough to blow away the cobwebs from night no 1 so I'm ready for night no 2!! :D

I'll bump this up during the good weather!!!
    Don't forget to use the Boards.ie discount code....

10% off for Boards.ie

• Advertisement

The website has been updated to include information on the 120km route. www.westportif.ie

Don't forget to use the Boards.ie discount code....
    10% off for Boards.ie

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Closing the gate on this this week. Few surprises enroute now :)

Code still applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ItsLikeThis

Signed up for the 160, how does route compare to ROK difficulty wise? How many are expected to take part?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Signed up for the 160, how does route compare to ROK difficulty wise? How many are expected to take part?

No ideas re numbers .
    Re the route. Probably the same if you take the Lally's option in Tourmakeady as the energy used in the extra 20km of Rok will be needed
    Roads are Heavey and Rolling but the Wind will be the biggest factor to how tough people find it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Looking at close on 1200 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

thanks for discount PatJoe & Co!
    really looking forward to this one.
    See you Saturday.
    slan
    Johnny

PatJoe - I'm a bit undecided between the 120 and the 160 and I was looking for a bit more route profile information than what I'm seeing on the official MapMyRide that is linked on the website

Can you tell me if either of these routes are on Strava? I see some 160km routes from last year but I'm not sure if it's the same route this year as then? Also, I gather that the 120km is new so I'd appreciate if there was anything on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭G1032

onmebike wrote: »
    PatJoe - I'm a bit undecided between the 120 and the 160 and I was looking for a bit more route profile information than what I'm seeing on the official MapMyRide that is linked on the website

Can you tell me if either of these routes are on Strava? I see some 160km routes from last year but I'm not sure if it's the same route this year as then? Also, I gather that the 120km is new so I'd appreciate if there was anything on that.

This is the 160km route
    https://www.strava.com/activities/348734402
    AFAIK the 120km turns left in Leenane and cuts out the Inagh Valley leg. It's nice cycling through the Inagh Valley though so you should consider it.

As link above says Without Lally's climb

Here is the 120 with Lally's climb in Tourmakeady
    http://www.strava.com/activities/348598841.

Inagh is beautiful and the extra 40km has only the Climb from Maam cross to Maam. The climb out of Leenane on the 120 is pretty much the same.

These are my local roads and I would say to anyone if your in doubt about the 160 do the route I posted here which includes Lally's.

Not including Lally's in a route for a Sportif on these roads is like going to Wicklow and not riding Glenmalure or Kerry and skipping Connor's Pass

Here is a route brief for all routes
    http://https://westernlakescc.com/2016/07/09/what-to-expect-at-westportif-2016/

Couple of different 160km routes shown on strava for 2015.
    Some have max elevation 850m to 1110m and varying distances.
    Lallys Mountain included or not possibly

• Advertisement

So does this years have lallys mountain? That's the question

seanin4711 wrote: »
    So does this years have lallys mountain? That's the question

see my edited post above with the route brief

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Couple of different 160km routes shown on strava for 2015.
    Some have max elevation 850m to 1110m and varying distances.
    Lallys Mountain included or not possibly

Last year the weather was absolutely horrific. At some stage during the day cyclists were directed into Leenane and from there to Westport instead of taking the right turn up Maam Trasna and into Toormakeady. Further more, some of those who did get to Toormakeady decided to go over Lally's and others just headed back to Westport. That would explain the 3 different routes ridden for the 160km

Thanks very much for those links. It looks like there's a reasonably similar elevation for the 160 and 120 routes. Would that be right?

My main worry about the 160 is that I did the Wicklow 100 and that was my longest distance this year. I was tired, but not too bad after it. Training since then hasn't been what I wanted due to a sore neck and holidays but I did get out for a few ~30km spins and a 65km up Sally Gap at the weekend.
    G1032 wrote: »
    This is the 160km route
    https://www.strava.com/activities/348734402
    AFAIK the 120km turns left in Leenane and cuts out the Inagh Valley leg. It's nice cycling through the Inagh Valley though so you should consider it.
    Esroh wrote: »
    As link above says Without Lally's climb

Here is the 120 with Lally's climb in Tourmakeady
    http://www.strava.com/activities/348598841.

Inagh is beautiful and the extra 40km has only the Climb from Maam cross to Maam. The climb out of Leenane on the 120 is pretty much the same.

These are my local roads and I would say to anyone if your in doubt about the 160 do the route I posted here which includes Lally's.

Not including Lally's in a route for a Sportif on these roads is like going to Wicklow and not riding Glenmalure or Kerry and skipping Connor's Pass

Here is a route brief for all routes
    http://https://westernlakescc.com/2016/07/09/what-to-expect-at-westportif-2016/

onmebike wrote: »
    Thanks very much for those links. It looks like there's a reasonably similar elevation for the 160 and 120 routes. Would that be right?

My main worry about the 160 is that I did the Wicklow 100 and that was my longest distance this year. I was tired, but not too bad after it. Training since then hasn't been what I wanted due to a sore neck and holidays but I did get out for a few ~30km spins and a 65km up Sally Gap at the weekend.

See how you're feeling in Leenane. You won't really have to make a decision until then

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

If you can do the W100, you can do this one. There is equivalent climbing but over a longer course. You won't regret it, it's a beautiful route. Only caveat is 160k is always an endurace challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cats pyjamas

Did the 120 today. Beautiful scenery and sunshine all day. Great spin apart from the wind! Tourmakeedy to Westport is a complete b***** but the views were great.

Will do it again.

120 also for me. Thanks to all the organisers, especially whoever laid on all those cakes at the last food stop. Great scenery, great marshalling, mostly quiet roads and some pretty tough hills. MapMyRide says that Lally's mountain is only a cat 3 which I find hard to believe.

I did the 160k two years ago and didn't feel up to it again this time. I was very glad I did the 120 instead of the 80 although I was regretting it for most of the last 25k! My only complaint would be that the food stop at Delphi involved quite a hike along a dirt road, but I imagine it's very difficult to find somewhere that you can process 1000+ people. That certainly won't stop me coming back next year.

After thinking about it a lot, I finally decided to do the 160. It will be my longest sportive this year, so I thought I'd go for it.

I spent most of the day in a couple of good groups. One in particular with a some great Limerick/Mayo people and they really helped the day pass along well. Great chat, not to mention the ridiculous amount of shelter I got on the way. The wind was cruel so the two lads at the front of it must have been wrecked.

I was fine for the most part and felt grand at the bottom of Lally's Mountain so went for it rather than the flat detour. About 2/3 of the way up, though, I hit empty. Nothing left in the legs. I got off and sat for a few minutes and had a banana. I walked for about 200m and got back on. Cycled for another few hundred and saw a fella struggling up the final part in the distance and that broke my resolve again so I walked for another short stretch. It's the first time I ever walked on a mountain :-( The final 25km were hell and I just wanted to lie down and fall asleep on the road but I'm delighted that I did the 160 instead of the 120. I had more in my legs at 120km and I think I would have felt I made the wrong decision if I had chosen it.

Great organisation, great marshalls, great day out. The scenery on the route is simply jaw dropping...especially the southern half of it. It will definitely be on my shortlist for next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I did the 80km. I had signed up to do the 160km but simply couldn't get out training due to various things. Running would be my default exercise and sometimes it is just easier to do a run when time is short.

Fabulous scenery and for a change in our summer the weather was excellent. The wind out of Westport was very tough and if you weren't in a group you would burn up a lot of energy. The section after the 1st left turn after Louisburg was quite tough with the up and down nature of the road. Flew down then into Doolough valley and had the food stop at Delphi which looks like a fine spot for adventure sports.

I got cycling with a couple of different lads and fell in with some groups too. Lovely company and nice to have a chat along the way.

Some incredible scenery around there with the deep valleys surrounded by steep sides. On a sunny day it shows up well.

I got into the drops for the last 15km as the wind was behind us and flew home.

Well organised and Westport is well set up for big events like that.

Good atmosphere at the finish and a nice burger too. Would have liked to have stayed on in town as I would say the atmosphere would be pretty good.

Advertisement