Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WESTPORTIF 2016

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hope ye all enjoyed it lads. The wind wasn't great but thankfully it was dry and sunny.

The burgers was super! I was tempted to go for a 2nd.

Any feedback please send it on, we always want to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

I had two punctures yesterday one at 25km and one at 125km approx.on both occasions i thought the day was over for me.It just wasn't going to be me day!!!

Low and behold the super service I received from the cycle police(covey rider)/skoda car on the first occasion and Mr Marrey at 125km what can i say.
    you both had me back on the road within 10mins.

Never Have i experienced such support on a sportive before.
    maybe i was lucky where I punctured as the car was behind me within 5 mins ,but i don't think so!

Chapeau to Western Lakes & Covey Wheelers for a super event and I guess this will be an annual trip for the Seven Springs Crew from now on!(circa 20 riders from the club did varying distances)

Cheers guys/gals!
    Kudos!
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pazza

I have to say this was an excellent event. Did the 160 and the organisation, support, scenery and weather (ok, maybe lay off the wind a little bit next year :-) ) all combined to making this one of the best of I have done for some time. There was a great athmosphere in Westport around the event, expecially at the end (and lovely burgers). roll on next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ItsLikeThis

onmebike wrote: »
    After thinking about it a lot, I finally decided to do the 160. It will be my longest sportive this year, so I thought I'd go for it.

I spent most of the day in a couple of good groups. One in particular with a some great Limerick/Mayo people and they really helped the day pass along well. Great chat, not to mention the ridiculous amount of shelter I got on the way. The wind was cruel so the two lads at the front of it must have been wrecked.

I was fine for the most part and felt grand at the bottom of Lally's Mountain so went for it rather than the flat detour. About 2/3 of the way up, though, I hit empty. Nothing left in the legs. I got off and sat for a few minutes and had a banana. I walked for about 200m and got back on. Cycled for another few hundred and saw a fella struggling up the final part in the distance and that broke my resolve again so I walked for another short stretch. It's the first time I ever walked on a mountain :-( The final 25km were hell and I just wanted to lie down and fall asleep on the road but I'm delighted that I did the 160 instead of the 120. I had more in my legs at 120km and I think I would have felt I made the wrong decision if I had chosen it.

Great organisation, great marshalls, great day out. The scenery on the route is simply jaw dropping...especially the southern half of it. It will definitely be on my shortlist for next year!

That may have been me ahead of you, I seen someone wearing red I think walking behind me alright. I stopped a couple of times myself. Stomach was starting to give me some grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

That may have been me ahead of you, I seen someone wearing red I think walking behind me alright. I stopped a couple of times myself. Stomach was starting to give me some grief.

I had some red...I was wearing a Stayin Alive at 1.5 jersey.

• Advertisement
Advertisement