Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double billed then charged 10e for DD failure?

Options
  • 21-04-2016 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭

I paid my bill on the 15/04, then I had the bill taken by DD on the 20th by the company. The real kick in the teeth is I then had the 10e DD fail charged to me? 

Are you telling me if I pay my bill early the company still goes ahead and Takes the money by DD without any checks to see if the bill was paid? 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I checked this before, you need to pay a certain amount of time in advance (i think it's 14 days) otherwise you will be charged the expected amount. 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

RedXIV wrote: »
    I checked this before, you need to pay a certain amount of time in advance (i think it's 14 days) otherwise you will be charged the expected amount. 
    That would be the day they issue it? So they don't want payments anyway early?   
    Bill issued on the 6th taken on the 20th, 14 days early seems a bit much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi raze_them_all_,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Customers can pay their bill in advance of a direct debit (we recommend just doing so electronically, such as via online banking or by debit/credit card on our website) but there is a limited window of time, as the direct debit instruction is presented to the bank for collection five or six working days (so weekends and bank holidays are excluded) before the date the direct debit is due. A payment made after this instruction would be too late unfortunately to cover the direct debit, and either puts the Electric Ireland account in credit (which can be refunded) or pays for a returned direct debit. A payment takes at least one working day to go through, so this needs to be factored into the timeframe also.

We recommend that customers, for whom a direct debit date does not suit, either pay the bill on immediate receipt of it (payments can be made in advance of it also if possible, and this results in a reduced total when the bill is issued) or set up a payment plan with us, which can either be a one-off deferral of the direct debit to a later date, or an instalment plan. We recommend that we be contacted to organise this on immediate receipt of the bill, as the bank needs to be given sufficient notice in this scenario also.

If you have any further queries, we are here on Boards.ie (and our other social media channels) until 6pm. If you wish to private message us your account details, just please confirm the Electric Ireland account number in question, stating you are the account-holder, your name, address and date of birth.

Kind regards,
    Una

________

Advertisement