Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The PFA Team Of The Year has been announced

• 21-04-2016 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭

CglFlHMWgAAGbq1.jpg:large

Rose is a bit of a mad one with the likes of Fuchs, Cresswell and even Charlie Daniels about. but meh.

Go mad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ozil over Alli or Payet for me but the rest looks decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Its a decent effort tbh

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

No Lescott? :confused:

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Huth for Morgan, Ozil for one of Payet/Alli, otherwise it's grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ozil still suffers from several media outlets still spouting that he's 'lazy'.

also, Huth over Morgan if you're going for a Leicester CB. Morgan has a mistake or 2 in him quite consistently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Aguero has been nominated once for player of the year and has never been in the team of the year. Sooooo.... this award has no merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Usually these teams are way off but that looks decent enough. There's a good case for Smalling ahead of Morgan and I'd put Shaw in ahead of Rose just to annoy someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

What does Aguero have to do to get into the team of the year? Scored five and six more than Kane and Costa last year respectively.

He's played a lot less games than vardy or kane this year and he'll probably outscore them by the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

What does Aguero have to do to get into the team of the year? Scored five and six more than Kane and Costa last year respectively.

He's played a lot less games than vardy or kane this year and he'll probably outscore them by the end of the season.

I'm guessing that Ageuro has been so consistently excellent that his achievements aren't as highlighted as some of the other strikers. It's bizarre logic really, but he'd nearly have to have a Ronaldo\Suarez type season to win POTY when many others have won it before him for much less. He is comfortably the best player in the PL and I'd say the awards system must rankle with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's just plain ridiculous that Ozil isn't on that team. Danny Rose has 21 Premier league starts to date and hasn't look particularly good in a fair few of those so I don't understand how he makes it either.
    Fuchs, Monreal, Cresswell and Kolarov would all be ahead of him for me. You could argue for Daniels and Van Aanholt as well.

• Advertisement

Aguero is a class act too but you could argue for the other two along with him.

I'd consider De Bruyne to be unluckier to lose out than Aguero but it'd be easy not to pick him with the amount of time he missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Assists are easily forgotten. 15 goals in 3 seasons for ozil is not to be forgotten either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I don't understand the Aguero talk, Kane and Vardy have been better this season. Team is good, maybe Ozil ahead of one of the two attacking midfielders.

Fair play to Morgan, championship team of the year 3 times and now PL team of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

I'm felling nostalgic as there are more Man Utd players than Liverpool/Man City combined. Must be a while since so called 'big four' are so poorly represented, a true sign of what a great unpredictable season it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

are the pfa awards tonight ?

Forgot all about Barkley too, very unlucky to lose out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Poor Ozil. Stiff competition with Payet, Mahrez, Alli and Kante also in the midfield bracket but those are the brakes. Alli being English probably swung it for him in the end.

Big Aguero fan but couldn't justify including him ahead of Kane or Vardy this year. This was a good year in terms of standard.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

In my (biased admittedly) opinion, Payet more than deserves his place. Think he's been involved in something like 24-25 of our goals this season and that was with him being out injured for two months from November to January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

All this proves every year is that footballers know fcuk all about football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wouldn't be too sure of Bellerin, walker or clyne a better shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Dembele should have been there instead of Alli and Fuchs/Creswell instead of Rose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

It's a fairer team than last season when Coutinho bizarrely made it.
    Alli/Ozil is a coin flip, only change I'd make is Fuchs for Rose and possibly Smalling for Morgan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No Aguero and no Ozil ?

Baffling.

No Aguero and no Ozil ?

Baffling.

Kane and Vardy had better seasons and rightly ahead of Aguero in the team of the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Interestingly the best English born CB this year according to the PFA plays for Jamaica

I'd have Ozil in there but it'd be harsh for Alli to lose out I guess

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Kane and Vardy had better seasons and rightly ahead of Aguero in the team of the season.

They have? Aguero has has scored the same as vardy in a lot less playing time. One goal every 97 minutes, that's an amazing record.
    Especially when compared to Kane's average of one goal every 125 minutes and Vardy's average of one goal every 135 minutes.

They have? Aguero has has scored the same as vardy in a lot less playing time. One goal every 97 minutes, that's an amazing record.
    Especially when compared to Kane's average of one goal every 125 minutes and Vardy's average of one goal every 135 minutes.

Aguero plays with a team full of 30-40 million pound players behind him.

Kane and Vardy have been better this season, I honesty don't see how you could argue otherwise. Even if Aguero is more talented on his day, they have had better seasons

Aguero plays with a team full of 30-40 million pound players behind him.

Kane and Vardy have been better this season, I honesty don't see how you could argue otherwise. Even if Aguero is more talented on his day, they have had better seasons

You're argument that he is playing with more expensive players is null and void as kane and Vardy have played in better teams than man city this season.

We can actually flip your argument on its head and use it as another reason why Aguero should be included, he's been playing in the worst of those teams this season, whilst scoring the same amount of goals in less playing time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Dembele should have been there instead of Alli and Fuchs/Creswell instead of Rose.

Dembele? Are you joking?

Alli has been instrumental in that Spurs team.

Wouldn't take Alli out for Ozil myself.

I think I saw a stat somewhere that Ozil only has two assists in 2016? Absolute fantastic start to the season but off the boil. Probably more to do with Arsenal in general tho.

• Advertisement

They have. Both have scored important goals which won lot of points to the team. Aguero's stats are somewhat skewed by 5 goals against Newcastle.

Also Carroll has scored 9 goals and has 122 mins per goal. That doesn't mean he had better season than Kane/Vardy.

Dembele? Are you joking?

Alli has been instrumental in that Spurs team.

Wouldn't take Alli out for Ozil myself.

I think I saw a stat somewhere that Ozil only has two assists in 2016? Absolute fantastic start to the season but off the boil. Probably more to do with Arsenal in general tho.

I'm not joking. Dembele has been great this season.

They have. Both have scored important goals which won lot of points to the team. Aguero's stats are somewhat skewed by 5 goals against Newcastle.

Also Carroll has scored 9 goals and has 122 mins per goal. That doesn't mean he had better season than Kane/Vardy.

If he'd scored 22 goals at the same frequency I'm pretty sure he'd have been considered too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sergio has the gold records on the wall these players are only one hit wonders

You're argument that he is playing with more expensive players is null and void as kane and Vardy have played in better teams than man city this season.

We can actually flip your argument on its head and use it as another reason why Aguero should be included, he's been playing in the worst of those teams this season, whilst scoring the same amount of goals in less playing time.

I didn't think I'd genuinely have to argue the fact that Kane and Vardy have been better than Aguero this season.

It's blatantly obvious to me, Lukaku is closer to Aguero than Aguero is to Kane and Vardy,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

id have kasper in goals too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Course you would...

Course you would...

cant remember any howlers from him,most consistent imo,so ya,kasper in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

De Gea has been comfortably better.

I'd have Smalling in for Morgan every day of the week and Ozil in for Alli/Payet. Rose at left back doesn't feel right but that's a tricky position to fill as there hasn't been anyone standing out there although there's been a few already mentioned that have performed marginally better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I didn't think I'd genuinely have to argue the fact that Kane and Vardy have been better than Aguero this season.

It's blatantly obvious to me, Lukaku is closer to Aguero than Aguero is to Kane and Vardy,

Stop smoking that stuff :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Terrible anti-Irish bias, can't believe they didn't find a place for, eh, ahem.....somebody

• Advertisement

Blatter wrote: »
    De Gea has been comfortably better.

comfortably busier yes,better ? i disagree

I reckon Mignolet deserves a shout, in the same way as Coutinho last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lloris would have been a worthy winner too, but no problem with De Gea being there at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

comfortably busier yes,better ? i disagree

De Gea deserves it but I feel Schem is hard done by. United would be scrapping mid table without De Gea.

I reckon Mignolet deserves a shout, in the same way as Coutinho last year

you couldn't leave one thread alone without this crap eh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

It's a pretty fair team, I think Monreal has improved massively this year and been excellent but other than that not much to argue about. Morgan is a bit tokenist to represent the Leicester backline but can't say it's particularly undeserved either; they have been excellent as a unit.

Funny though I reckon you could pick another team of players who might give the selected team a fair run for their money, I'll go with:

Lloris, Monreal, Kompany, Smalling, Zabaleta, Drinkwater, Barkley, Ozil, De Bruyne, Sturridge, Aguero

Milkers wrote: »
    It's a pretty fair team, I think Monreal has improved massively this year and been excellent but other than that not much to argue about. Morgan is a bit tokenist to represent the Leicester backline but can't say it's particularly undeserved either; they have been excellent as a unit.

Funny though I reckon you could pick another team of players who might give the selected team a fair run for their money, I'll go with:

Lloris, Monreal, Kompany, Smalling, Zabaleta, Drinkwater, Barkley, Ozil, De Bruyne, Sturridge, Aguero
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Just to be clear I'm not picking players who I think deserve to be in the PFA team of the year (obv Kompany and Sturridge have been way too injured) I'm just picking a team from current PL teams that might arguably beat the actual selected team if they played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's just plain ridiculous that Ozil isn't on that team. Danny Rose has 21 Premier league starts to date and hasn't look particularly good in a fair few of those so I don't understand how he makes it either.
    Fuchs, Monreal, Cresswell and Kolarov would all be ahead of him for me. You could argue for Daniels and Van Aanholt as well.

:eek:

He is one of the worst full backs in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It's pretty close to the mark. Smalling and Ozil deserve a shout but considering the teams involved I'd be more surprised if the likes of Morgan and Payet were back next year over those 2. The teams at the top are generally the most represented and this year is as close as I've come to not disagreeing with large parts of the team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement