Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Prince

Options
  • 21-04-2016 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Passed away today. Legend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Still no reputable news source, hopefully not true

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You forget how massive he was in the 80's huge talent lost if true

You forget how massive he was in the 80's huge talent lost if true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Still no reputable news source, hopefully not true

TMZ have broken loads of legitimate stories so unfortunately I'd lean towards this beung true.

I don't think I can ever remember such an awful year for creative deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Just reported on Independent.ie and New York Times

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Just reported on Independent.ie and New York Times

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭emo72

God damn. Everyone's dying this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

Awh no, this year has been one of the worst and its not even summer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

A term overused but fair in this situation: there won't be another like him in the industry. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sad news. I love the song Raspberry Beret.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

RIPTAFKAP

The museum scene in Batman, where Jack Nicholson goes on wrecking spree to the tune of Partyman, is one of my all-time faves.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I really, really start to hate 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

RIP, Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,910 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

After the death of Bowie broke my heart now Prince, jesus it's tough when anyone dies but when it's someone who's effected you're musical life its just worse.

The fact like Bowie's it was out of the blue which makes it tougher to take.

What Bowie was to the 70's, Prince was to the 80's. Sadly he probably was hit and miss after that but still a amazing live act.

R.I.P Prince.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Sometimes it snows in April.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Sad news.

Prince was a mercurial talent and a musical genius. He could be hit and miss but when he was good he was brilliant. Very influential of course.

Prince was brilliant live and I saw him twice.

R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I don't think there's anyone in the world that doesn't turn the radio up when a Prince song comes on. His music was the soundtrack to all our youth club discos and so much more. Lots of happy memories attached to all those fantastic songs. Prince was a musical and lyrical genius. May he Rest In Peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

An Icon of pop culture. Very prolific throughout the 80's and into the 90's. First time I heard "when doves cry" was the summer of 84, round the time of the Los Angeles Olympics. That and "Sign o the times" are my 2 favourite Prince songs. Just heard some fella on CNN say he invented txtn. Could be right, Nothing compares 2 U...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭line console zero

Prince is my absolute favourite guitarist, right up their with Gary Moore for epic tear jerker solo's and in a class of his own with his funk rhythm. Effortlessly mixing stadium rock with funk, jazz and soul. As a guitarist of 16 years and an ex professional musician, he was an inspiration to me.

My fondest memory of my poor student days is busking an epic purple rain solo in Temple bar at 2 am with a crowd of people watching and a group of couples slow dancing. It was the perfect scene and for a few moment time stood still. He gave us that music.He will be missed. Rest in peace you crazy purple genius. I know you'll be melting faces in heaven with that 6 string in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Very sad news. I was supposed to see him in croke park a few years ago but it was cancelled. Ended up getting our tickets changed and went to see Iggy Pop in Kilmainham which was an amazing concert but still I always thought eventually I would get to see Prince at some stage later.

I don't like all of his stuff but I always had respect for him as a musician and when he got it right, it was really great.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Very sad news, a bona fide genius

Meant to post this on here over the weekend, recorded a quick tribute mix (as if there is anyone not had their fill of Prince songs for the last few days!)

https://www.mixcloud.com/WobbieCostelloe/the-vinyl-word-episode-27-but-life-is-just-a-party-and-parties-werent-meant-to-last/

Tracklist:
    Prince - Wanna Be Your Lover (Dimitri From Stoke-On-Trent Edit)
    Prince - Controversy (LNTG Muscle Mix)
    Prince & The New Power Generation - Gett Off (Urge Mix)
    Prince & The New Power Generation - Horny Pony 7"
    Prince - Head
    Vanity 6 - Nasty Girl 7"
    Prince - 1999
    Prince - Musicology
    94 East - Games 7"
    Prince & The Revolution - Kiss
    Prince & The New Power Generation - Cream 7"
    Prince & The Revolution - Pop Life
    Prince - Sign O' The Times 7"
    Prince - What Do You Want Me To Do?
    Prince - If I Was Your Girlfriend
    Prince - Dear Mr Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

As a kid/teenager, I dreamt of seeing David Bowie, Prince and Michael Jackson live.

The Holy Trinity of live performers to my young mind.

Over the years, I was lucky enough to see Bowie 10 times, Jackson 3 times and Prince 5 times.

Now with the 3 of them gone, I look back a truly appreaciate each and every one of those 18 shows.

Advertisement