Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New boards front end

Options
  • 21-04-2016 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

The new front end of boards is unusable on my Galaxy Note 3
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's unusable on every platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Is it just me or is there now NO way to navigate to a specific forum unless there's a thread on the homepage? It's bad enough that they reshuffled the drop-down options to be more awkward to get to, but now I can't even use search to get to a forum anymore!

Over-egging the pudding lads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Change is never good and must be resisted

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

godtabh wrote: »

Well theres change for the better, and then there's this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

godtabh wrote: »
    Different is not always better but better is always different; I'd say this change falls in the first rather than the second category however...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Front end, as in the home page?

On my Tab3 with the latest OS, the boards logo seems very squashed and over lapping the blue banner, the welcome back 'user name' and background is way right of centre, with left of centre all white space. Not all the tabs appear to be working, or dont bring me to where I expect. Oh, amd far too many ads, not seen ads in years.

Apologies for the cristism, but its quite a disappointment on what was there before.

:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Front end, as in the home page?

Front end is the entire interface that the user gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Also the announcement states that people outside Ireland not logged in will be directed to the new layout as default, this also seems true for people outside Ireland that are logged in.

It also breaks the the links from the emails I get about thread updates (Page not found, try our search), changing back to the legacy layout fixes this.

Must say it's fairly hideous, takes forever to view the topics on the landing page.
    If it had a feature like Gmail to set the display density making the items more or less compact I could grow to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

Is it actually possible to mark a forum as read in the new layout?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Spear wrote: »
    It's unusable on every platform.

I had to switch to Legacy just to thank your post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I hope they never disable Legacy mode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I tried it. Lasted 10 mins. Switched back to legacy. Navigation is a pain, signal to noise ratio too high. Too much wasted space. Pretty much unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Here lads. I've had an idea. You think your car works well? Wrong. Here's the plan. All four wheels turn, and so does the cabin. You want to turn tight? No problem. Simply stop in the middle if the road and steer left. The wheels will the turn in the opposit direction, lining up with the desired direction of travel, while the cabin follows smoothly. Job done. Much better.

What is it with developers? What's the mission? To make every platform work they way they think the dumb user should want it to work if they only knew better?

Honestly, I don't care how it 'looks'. Knock yourselves out with that one. Don't cock about with how it 'works' though. Or is this project all going on your application to Microsoft?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Having problems using touch site on Android 4.x. When I access my lont of followed threads, it's pretty much impossible to access any more than 3-4 down the page because the header telling me Page 1 of XX replicates to almost fill the screen. When I post to one of my followed threads it then notifies me that the thread has been updated, which is unnecessary. Hope ye can sort these out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

And the icons to quote, report and thank posts have no visible labels so it's a lottery each time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

I don't think words can emphasise enough how much I hate and despise the new look. This isn't a "fear of change" reaction its a "this is truly and genuinely a horribly bad piece of work where the person(s) involved should be utterly ashamed" type of reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I understand the want/need/urge to move to responsive design as it allows for a single codebase for all devices. I even understand the particular format chosen.
    I just cannot make myself like it.

Advertisement