Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermo King junction

Options
  • 21-04-2016 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭

Would somebody care to tell me how 1 is supposed to turn right for Wellpark at the Thermo King Cross from the Trapper's Inn road side?? If cars are also going left for Wellpark from the Thermo King side and I'm trying to turn right for the same... eh, um, how is it supposed to be done safely without colliding with a car or getting stuck in yellow box?!? Once a run of cars from Thermo King goes through, presumably it's back to Monivea Road to Wellpark and vice-versa so when can I turn right like.... What gives?!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

The timing is awful there alright. If I'm lucky to be at the top of the queue and the lights still green, I'll floor it after the last car has passed. But I've often been stuck there through two or more sequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

A right arrow filter is badly needed for the Trappers side. Even good drivers can be waiting 3-4 minutes to turn right whereas the other rascals ignore right of way and nearly kill people.

A right arrow filter is badly needed for the Trappers side. Even good drivers can be waiting 3-4 minutes to turn right whereas the other rascals ignore right of way and nearly kill people.
    A lot of people rat run through the Mervue Industrial Estate to avoid the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭TheAbstracter

You're entitled to enter and wait in the yellow box when turning right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Dunno would I fancy gettin sandwiched!! :O

If ya could get away with going about two-thirds of the way across the box and stand there you likely will get a break in traffic and enough time to be able to complete the manoeuvre, but if ya have to clear the box in one go from 1 side to the other there's no margin for a couple of seconds of needed dawdling while ya wait to turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Which intersection is this? Maps link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

biko wrote: »
    Which intersection is this? Maps link?

Think its the one at slip road from the tuam road to the monivea road

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Connolly Ave. Wellpark, Monivea Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There is also a pedestrian crossing at each arm.

A stack of cars queuing to turn right see the traffic coming against them stopping and take off - occasionally through a green light for pedestrians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Change traffic light sequence to a Round Robin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

There is also a pedestrian crossing at each arm.

A stack of cars queuing to turn right see the traffic coming against them stopping and take off - occasionally through a green light for pedestrians.

I saw someone in a turning car drive straight at a crossing pedestrian last week at this junction - swerved at the last second. Pedestrian was elderly looking and had a green man signal.

I saw a creative approach to the OP's problem one morning last week.

The car ahead of me just drove into the junction and started turning - they made the traffic coming against them (with the right of way) break to avoid hitting them, and they continued on their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

I hit that junction a few times a day, morning and evening at peak times...as it stands at the moment, every arm which wants to turn right has two options at peak time:

a) If at top of queue, rev and turn before the oncoming traffic reaches you (dangerous)
    b) Move forward and wait for the oncoming traffic to get a red light (invariably people will continue through orange and into red), and then you, in turn, need to break a red light to complete your exit.

An additional danger is drivers who aren't familiar with the junction, and (with some justification) think they are only arm with green and assume they have right of way. I've had several close shaves with this.

The above suggests to me that the junction is fundamentally broken (particularly at peak time) and needs either round robin or filter lights as suggested above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I take this turn almost daily.

As TheAbstracter said...
    You're entitled to enter and wait in the yellow box when turning right.

From the ROTR on yellow box junctions - "An exception is when you want to turn right. In this case, you may enter the yellow box junction while waiting for a gap in traffic coming from the opposite
    direction. "

Pull into the center of the box. The junction is wide enough for cars going straight through to pass on your left. That approach road is already split into two lanes now (since latest Street View) so the cars going straight through will already be on your left.

If there is a steady stream of cars going through the junction, you do only get a few seconds after the red light to get out of the box though (rarely heavy stream coming against you here). If cars jump the red light you've even less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

lampsie wrote: »
    The above suggests to me that the junction is fundamentally broken (particularly at peak time) and needs either round robin or filter lights as suggested above.

City Council don't like Round Robin, look at the change to the Moneenageisha junction(Hunstman). More likely is that they would ban right turns like they have done at two arms of the junction like they have done at Kingston Cross/Taylors Hill.

Advertisement