Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First PC build

Options
  • 21-04-2016 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭

So I am finally going to take the plunge and build (well get someone I know to help and do it) a PC I want a PC for games such as Skrym Fallout 4 and GTA 5. So I have been doing some research and I think I have a build in mind. Now I have this all from Komplett and priced at 1509 euro. I was wondering what did ye think.

Processor: Intel Core i7-6700k 4.0 GHz Socket 1151
    Cooler Master Seidon 120V V2
    Gaphic Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB (might go with 4x4gb)
    Motherboard: MSI H170 Gaming Pro
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Blue 1TB
    Solid State: Kingston HyperX Fury 250gb
    Monitor: Samsung S27E390H 27"
    Power Supply: CoolerMaster GM series G750 750 Watt
    NZXT S340 Miditower, 2x USB3.0/Audio

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think you would be mad to pay the prices on Komplett. On mindfactory.de the cpu is €50 cheaper and you will see a similar saving on every other component. Or go for Amazon if you want top customer service, it's still much cheaper than Komplett.

The MSI H170 Gaming Pro is a motherboard not at video card, what video card are you thinking of getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

tuxy wrote: »
    I think you would be mad to pay the prices on Komplett. On mindfactory.de the cpu is €50 cheaper and you will see a similar saving on every other component. Or go for Amazon if you want top customer service, it's still much cheaper than Komplett.

The MSI H170 Gaming Pro is a motherboard not at video card, what video card are you thinking of getting?

Ya I was going to shop around I meant to say that in the opening. The Video card is a MSI Radeon 9 30 Gaming. What doo you think for wireless.

Edit: Good spot on my mistake Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Change your motherboard to a Z170 board

Drop the CPU to an i5 6500

Up the GPU to an R9 390

Z170 allows overclocking, i5 vs i7 is virtually no difference for gaming, 390 is a good bit more powerful than the 380

Buy from amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For that money you should be looking at an R9 390 or GTX970 as a bare minimum.

Can cut out the i7 for an i5 as above and also swap the Seidon for a Evo 212 or similar air cooler.

And again as above, Z170 over H170 if you want to overclock a K series CPU.

8GB ram's also plenty and can be easily and cheaply upgraded down the line.

750W is overkill, a decent 550w+ is more than enough.

For that money you should be looking at an R9 390 or GTX970 as a bare minimum.

Can cut out the i7 for an i5 as above and also swap the Seidon for a Evo 212 or similar air cooler.

And again as above, Z170 over H170 if you want to overclock a K series CPU.

8GB ram's also plenty and can be easily and cheaply upgraded down the line.

750W is overkill, a decent 550w+ is more than enough.

I am not going to overclock I say so should I still go for the Z170.

I was going for the Seidon as it was one a friend recommended due to gel cooling or something.

I am considering the i5 and just went for newer must be cooler but ya upgrading in the future would be better and cheeper

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies and will certainly go have a serious think on some. Also will be going else where then Komplett for buying as cheeper

I am not going to overclock I say so should I still go for the Z170.

I was going for the Seidon as it was one a friend recommended due to gel cooling or something.

I am considering the i5 and just went for newer must be cooler but ya upgrading in the future would be better and cheeper

No need in a Z170 if you're not over clocking

Don't understand the last point fully. If you get the i5 the stock cooler will be fine, get a third party if you want though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭DublinBust

I'd push for a 380X or a 390 if you can. If you can wait a few months, maybe game on the integrated graphics on the cpu, clear the less graphical intensive titles from the backlog :P, the 4XX series shouldn't be too far off. Early summer.

No need in a Z170 if you're not over clocking

Don't understand the last point fully. If you get the i5 the stock cooler will be fine, get a third party if you want though.

Sorry I meant cooler as in bells and whistles

DublinBust wrote: »
    I'd push for a 380X or a 390 if you can. If you can wait a few months, maybe game on the integrated graphics on the cpu, clear the less graphical intensive titles from the backlog :P, the 4XX series shouldn't be too far off. Early summer.

If I could I would. I have been holding out for a few months my poor 5 year old laptop(alienware) is on its last legs slowing down sometimes a bit hotter than usual, hibernating at time and has the blue screen a couple of time re cache. Some of the letters are needing to be pushed down hard at time also

• Advertisement

Ah I get you know, cooler = less heat in these parts :pac: No worries!

But yeah, i5 and 390 is definitely faster than i7 + 380 in almost all cases

If I could I would. I have been holding out for a few months my poor 5 year old laptop(alienware) is on its last legs slowing down sometimes a bit hotter than usual, hibernating at time and has the blue screen a couple of time re cache. Some of the letters are needing to be pushed down hard at time also

What are you looking to play as soon as you build out of interest?

DublinBust wrote: »

What are you looking to play as soon as you build out of interest?

Grand theft auto 6, fallout 4, skyrim

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Core i5 6400: €165
    MSI B150A Pro Motherboard: €80 (this board has the best connectivity I have seen for the price)
    DDR4 2133MHz RAM: €40
    1TB HDD: €45
    256GB SSD: €70
    AMD R9 390: €310
    XFX TS 650W PSU: €70
    Case: €100
    Total is around €900

Obviously, you can bump the GPU upto an R9 Fury if you have the money.
    You need a good mouse and keyboard. I like Steelseries, some swear by Logitech and others go to Corsair.
    A good monitor can be upwards of €125 so factor all these into your budget, not to mention your budget for shippin, the OS and games.
    In terms of GPU, AMD and nVidia will release GPUs this June, so have a look at them before buying.

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    Core i5 6400

Nah no point gimping the core of your new build. Go for a 6600K. Dudes budget seems to be 1500.

Your OG ain't that bad OP, just make sure you get a K processor in a Z motherboard not a H. I'd drop down to an i5 and up the SSD size meself, then you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

It's hard to justify an extra €60 for overclocking, and a measly 300MHz boost when most games are GPU bound nowadays.
    As for his budget, upgrading to an i7 and getting a Z board will eat into the monitor, GPU and peripheral budget.
    Not worth it really. Whilst the budget might be €1500, he still has to buy games also.

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    It's hard to justify an extra €60 for overclocking, and a measly 300MHz boost when most games are GPU bound nowadays.
    As for his budget, upgrading to an i7 and getting a Z board will eat into the monitor, GPU and peripheral budget.
    Not worth it really. Whilst the budget might be €1500, he still has to buy games also.
    Overclocking is not particularly for right now, but down the road when the extra juice becomes needed. The 6400 is a poor choice for this budget. No one is saying go for an i7, but an unlocked processor with a Z board is the right potential to budget ratio here.

"he still has to buy games also"- is pretty weak reasoning.

EDIT- I just posted a whole build for OP with prices and this fantastic new board system ate it up. Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I agree that with that sort of budget a 6600K and Z97 should be mandatory, really - even an i7-6700K potentially given that the OP is into heavily modded games and he mentioned Skyrim which gobbles CPU power up when modded - he also mentioned Fallout 4 which also eats up processors.

Out of 1500, 400 is healthy enough for a decent 1440p monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Leaving 1100 for the build, which makes a 6600K/Z97 with R9 390 fully affordable. If you want to stick at 1080P monitor wise, it's enough for a 6700K either which in your case will actually make a difference also given your particular intended uses.

Just a few points which I did not make clear in the opening post. 1500 euro is my max and those prices came from Komplett which is dear looking at Amazon and other sites even with delivery charges I can come down. I would be up for upgrading parts in the future so if downgrading something for now in the view of upgrading in 1 or 2 years. Will not be overclocking. Also in view of people asking will I be using mods in my game the answer is yes may do a first run vanilla but will use mods enentually. I will be ordering by end of week once I get a couple of other expenses out of the way

No point in the Z or 6600k then so, pick up a H150 board with a 6600, get a nice Noctua cooler and throw money at a good case like a Nanoxia or Corsair. Nothing ruins a battle with a dragon more than the sounds of a jet taking off beside you

• Advertisement

I've never overclocked a CPU, yet I've never bought a non-K either. It's just peace of mind. If you're a very frequent upgrader, non-K would be fine but would affect what price you're going to get at resale. If you've no plans to keep this build for as long as possible, I'd go with a K and Z board. Up to you really.

Damn boards swallowing up my build. Found a decent Noctua cooler too. Might redo it tomorrow.

Advertisement