Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial Things That Annoy You — Rules in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

TA'd that I've been in my job so long that I can tell by the sound of the line printer that some fcukwit has sent the wrong thing to it again and buggered up the settings - have to wait for the report to finish before I can re-boot the thing and re-send the report to print properly.

I need a move!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

My bus broke down.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

People chewing with their mouths open. I don't know if they realise how disgusting it is to watch/hear them at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Today I did something that I should have done years ago. I closed my account with Sky and it was TA the amount of offers they were suddenly thrown at me to stay. Sorry Sky but it wasn't happening, but maybe in future ye should offer better customer service and not charge customers when their equipment fails/faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

Jester252 wrote: »
    I feel bad for every lc student that did good in the exam. All over media are people saying not to feel bad if you didn't do well in the LC because it means nothing.

It must suck to get good results and on the drive home hear and read people telling you that the lc means nothing.

If any media is saying it means nothing they're both wrong and ignorant.
    To say that it's only one exam and isn't the only option after school is more correct.

I'm sure those who have done well aren't feeling down about the fact that they have more options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Oh my GOD! People who don't read and follow instructions!

There's a civil service campaign on at the moment. It's an ongoing process with different stages and tasks.

The emails contain everything you need to know yet still there are loads of people who just will not read what's there in front of them!

For example, you have to bring id to the test. If the id is more than 5 years old you must also bring a recent passport sized photograph of yourself. Easy yes?

Oh no, instead it's all "oh my passport is 7 years old, I'll have to beg them to accept it. What a dose" . . . Am, no, you were told what to do in that situation. Read the fecking email!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

People who do "good deeds" but then have to shout about it from the social media rooftop. There was a recent one where someone bought a homeless man a McDonalds meal but had to take a photo of the event and post it on social media with a big monologue to accompany it. Yesterday was that great little boy who wanted to send his school medal to Conlon, very touching but again his uncle had to share the whole thing on facebook so that the world will know about it. I'm all for good deeds but do they have to be raved about? Is there no humility or grace left in people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

mud wrote: »

There's a civil service campaign on at the moment. It's an ongoing process with different stages and tasks.

The emails contain everything you need to know yet still there are loads of people who just will not read what's there in front of them!

For example, you have to bring id to the test. If the id is more than 5 years old you must also bring a recent passport sized photograph of yourself. Easy yes?

Oh no, instead it's all "oh my passport is 7 years old, I'll have to beg them to accept it. What a dose" . . . Am, no, you were told what to do in that situation. Read the fecking email!

TRUTH!!!
    I follow an online fitness group on facebook, its a guy and his wife set it up and you get free meal plans, it tells you how to calculate what you should be eating etc, and it has a post at the top of the page that explains EVERYTHING, yet every day without fail you have people asking how do I get my plan? how do I calculate my calories? where are the meal plans?... read the damn post it tells you absolutely everything its got videos and everything! even when its handed to them people are too lazy to look for themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Short people with umbrellas. There are pointy metal bits on those yokes. Kindly keep them away from my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

This x100. I'm in it too ans genuinely fear for these people. Also things like "but that's my child's first day in school, what will i do!?!?". Cringe reading.

TA'd that my new shoes cut the back of my heels almost a week ago and it's still painful to wear any shoe since

• Advertisement

1. When you want to avail of that Pampers offer of two packs of nappies for €23 and you cannot find a second pack of the relevant size despite tearing the place apart, getting down on your knees to look under the shelf and walking back to see if there are any on the top storage shelf.

2. "Mistaken identity". These gangland guys killing innocent people because they haven't got the basic whatever it is to ask a single question: is this the guy we're looking for? That apprentice plumber (Anthony Campbell) out in Finglas who was killed because he happened to be working in the same house as a gangster, the rugby player (Shane Geoghegan) in Limerick or the innocent Dad (Martin O'Rourke) of three murdered on Sheriff Street earlier this year. Now this man in Spain. Apparently there's no shortage of young lads in Dublin who are eager to make a name for themselves by killing somebody. And why is CAB so slow - I appreciate there was a burst of activity after the Regency hotel killing, but they're loads left - about getting the guys (and their accountants and solicitors who help them clean their money) with the flashy cars impressing local vulnerable kids in their areas? Until these local gods are brought down, there will always be lost kids drawn to them. OK, this killing of totally uninvolved people is annoying me more than I thought so I better stop!

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    People who do "good deeds" but then have to shout about it from the social media rooftop.

And my very related TA, these "successful businessmen" colonising Irish third level colleges (and even second level) by making a *small* tax-deductible donation in exchange for having their names on buildings, theatres, halls and even entire schools. Sir Dr Lord Marquis Duke Tony O'Reilly (now, thankfully, a bankrupt) has been far and away the worst, most pompous, most conceited egomaniac. But then there's Martin Naughton and his massive egotrip in Trinners. Peter Sutherland, Michael Smurfit and Denis O'Brien's respective egotrip buildings in UCD. Recently I noticed Naughton's fellow billionaire who set up Glen Dimplex with him, Lochlann Quinn (yes, Ruairí's brother, both first cousins of Fergal of Superquinn) must have got a bit upset at not being given specific credit because UCD's "Quinn School of Business" has been renamed the "Lochlann Quinn School of Business". Cringe. In all cases, they give a small donation for the naming rights, rather than fund the entire buildings as most people might assume.

In sharp contrast to all of these native Irish wannabe royalty, we have the Irish-American billionaire Chuck Feeney. Who? Yes, exactly. Not a single thing named after him, even though he gave billions of dollars - yes, billions - to the Irish education system on condition of anonymity. Now, that's genuine class. Huge respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Recently I noticed Naughton's fellow billionaire who set up Glen Dimplex with him, Lochlann Quinn (yes, Ruairí's brother, both first cousins of Fergal of Superquinn) must have got a bit upset at not being given specific credit because UCD's "Quinn School of Business" has been renamed the "Lochlann Quinn School of Business".

Isn't it more likely that they renamed it to stop people from presuming that it was funded by a decidedly more infamous businessman named Quinn?

I'm TA'd that Anton Savage gave the Pat Hickey story a very easy treatment on the radio this morning, IMO. His PR company have been representing the OCI. I've always liked him as a presenter, but this reeks of a conflict of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I work in a customer facing role in my job. You could write the simplest instructions/info in ten foot tall flashing letters for people and they will still ignore/miss it and have to ask stupid questions when the information they want is both freely and obviously available to them.

maudgonner wrote: »

I'm TA'd that Anton Savage gave the Pat Hickey story a very easy treatment on the radio this morning, IMO His PR company have been representing the OCI. I've always liked him as a presenter, but this reeks of a conflict of interest.

Some sort of conflict of interest structure chart is badly needed. Handy print out guide to see who's who.

Presenter X is son of commentator Y. They own PR company who's biggest client is Z.

Or several other cases where journalists are married to politicians, or siblings of politicians.

Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but may allow people a bit more insight as to why certain stories are played down, or certain interviews appear softer than others.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    I work in a customer facing role in my job. You could write the simplest instructions/info in ten foot tall flashing letters for people and they will still ignore/miss it and have to ask stupid questions when the information they want is both freely and obviously available to them.

you should wear this:

https://img1.etsystatic.com/044/1/7965734/il_570xN.618377719_cqg0.jpg

hmm, except the probably wouldn't read the t shirt either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I used to see the kind of stupidity you're talking about all the time working in bars, annoyed me so much. It is frustating how stupid some people seem to be. It leaves me wondering if half the population are honestly dolts, or if they're just really bad in certain situations, i.e., great accountants or engineers or butchers but just clueless in some environs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Just remember that about half the population has less than the average IQ. Assume everyone is an idiot, and you can only be pleasantly surprised. Note - everyone, not everyone else. We all do dumb things on occasion.

Why am I wearing a jersey in the middle of the afternoon in the middle of August?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

'Lemming' drivers.

They'll do the same dangerous maneuver as the idiot in front of them without thinking.
    Whenever I see one moron break a red or overtake dangerously... expect another one or two to be behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

People who comment or judge without knowing anything about someone's circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Like when you are in a queue, where ther is a sign that says PLEASE QUEUE HERE, and without fail, someone will ask you "is this where the queue is?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

KatW4 wrote: »
    People who comment or judge without knowing anything about someone's circumstances.

I know what you mean but there's not a person alive who doesn't judge others to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

RTE presenter and panel on now saying Thomas arseways.

Ignore that H there, Bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Mudmask

Trivially annoyed at myself today.. Said cheese when I meant chicken on my wrap for lunch. Then said meteor when I meant 3 for phone credit. I knew I probably couldn't exchange it but the woman in the shop could have cut me in two with the look she gave me I asked if there was anything that could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

KungPao wrote: »
    RTE presenter and panel on now saying Thomas arseways.

Ignore that H there, Bill.
    George Hamilton saying it properly now.

Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

I have been driving for about ten years and have only ever parked my car outside of my neighbours house a handful of times when someone else is in my driveway or other people have parked outside of my house.

A few weeks ago I had to do that and the next day when I was going out to my car, said neighbour was out gossiping loudly to another neighbour about how annoyed she was etc.

She came over to me on her high horse from the very start and said "excuse me, is this your car?" knowing full well it was. She then started saying that the next time I decide to park my car outside of her house, I'd better be sure not to block her driveway. I took a step back, pointed out that the front of my car wasn't past the pillar of her driveway and was therefore in no way blocking her in. She insisted that I was and that she had trouble getting her car out of her drive that morning because she couldn't swing the car around as much as she usually does. So she admitted she did get her car out but that it was just slightly more effort than usual.

The argument went back and forth and I asked her what I was meant to do when all other spaces are taken and she told me I should park out on the main road instead. I told her if it was really such an issue for her she could call out the gards, who I was certain would tell her I'm legally parked outside of her house as my car is taxed and insured and is not blocking her entrance/exit to her driveway (which she had just admitted by saying she did go out earlier). She shut up eventually and went back into her house.

Fast forward to this week where we have a skip in our driveway which means we have another car to find space for on the road. If there's space outside of our house, obviously one car goes there and the other car goes wherever there's a space available (we park one in front of our driveway too if there's space between the car outside our house and the car outside of our other neighbours house). My mam has parked outside of this particular neighbours house a few times making sure not to park too far up to avoid another stupid argument.

This morning when my mam came home, the wagon had moved her car out onto the road in front of her house so that's one less space for us and anyone else who could need it. She only has the one car and lives alone so she's just being a spiteful cow and that's my massive TA right now!

TLDR: old moany neighbours complaining about ****e such as parking legally in front of their house is my TA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

scdublin wrote: »
    I have been driving for about ten years and have only ever parked my car outside of my neighbours house a handful of times when someone else is in my driveway or other people have parked outside of my house.

A few weeks ago I had to do that and the next day when I was going out to my car, said neighbour was out gossiping loudly to another neighbour about how annoyed she was etc.

She came over to me on her high horse from the very start and said "excuse me, is this your car?" knowing full well it was. She then started saying that the next time I decide to park my car outside of her house, I'd better be sure not to block her driveway. I took a step back, pointed out that the front of my car wasn't past the pillar of her driveway and was therefore in no way blocking her in. She insisted that I was and that she had trouble getting her car out of her drive that morning because she couldn't swing the car around as much as she usually does. So she admitted she did get her car out but that it was just slightly more effort than usual.

The argument went back and forth and I asked her what I was meant to do when all other spaces are taken and she told me I should park out on the main road instead. I told her if it was really such an issue for her she could call out the gards, who I was certain would tell her I'm legally parked outside of her house as my car is taxed and insured and is not blocking her entrance/exit to her driveway (which she had just admitted by saying she did go out earlier). She shut up eventually and went back into her house.

Fast forward to this week where we have a skip in our driveway which means we have another car to find space for on the road. If there's space outside of our house, obviously one car goes there and the other car goes wherever there's a space available (we park one in front of our driveway too if there's space between the car outside our house and the car outside of our other neighbours house). My mam has parked outside of this particular neighbours house a few times making sure not to park too far up to avoid another stupid argument.

This morning when my mam came home, the wagon had moved her car out onto the road in front of her house so that's one less space for us and anyone else who could need it. She only has the one car and lives alone so she's just being a spiteful cow and that's my massive TA right now!

TLDR: old moany neighbours complaining about ****e such as parking legally in front of their house is my TA

I'm actually twitching with rage reading this. What an out and out cúnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

If I hear that 'we have as many medals as we have arrests at this Olympics' joke once more....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Give it a couple more days, and it will be twice as many arrests at the rate they're going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I'm actually twitching with rage reading this. What an out and out c nt.

Isn't she though! Arghhh. And I'm TA'd that she's annoyed me so much but I just don't understand the need to be so rude and spiteful over something so insignificant.

TA'd that boards was down today and I had to wait hours to get that rant out :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement