Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial Things That Annoy You — Rules in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Biting in to a rotten pistachio nut.
    Worst.
    Taste.
    In.
    The.
    World.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

George Hook's voice. I thought they'd got rid of him for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,634 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

some of the thread titles in the FITNESS forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=839

I don't know if they are meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

People who don't know how to use doors. I work in an office with a revolving door at the entrance, but there are people who will not use it. They can see other people using it happily, but still insist on using the side door which is there for accessibility. The revolving door is much quicker and also means less heat is lost during winter. However, it requires some co-ordination, such as the ability to time a move and adjust your walking speed.

Normal doors? Not so simple. There are people in the office who just power through doors in one move, slamming the door open with no thought for anyone who might be behind it. There have already been injuries due to this practice. The noise is incredlble, too, like a bomb going off, and it damages the lock bolts too. I learned to use a door in two steps: (1) turn the handle, (2) push the door open slowly, giving anyone behind it a chance to move out the way or say something.

Then there are the double fire doors scattered throughout the building. They are double doors so that people can go in both directions at the same time. That seems to be too complex a concept, though, so when some people are going in one direction, people going in the other direction will stop and wait, in front of the closed door, for the first group to finish going through. Use both doors, people, that's why they're there ...

I never had this problem in previous jobs. I'm currently working in an office where I feel like I have to teach the employees how to use doors. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

bnt wrote: »
    People who don't know how to use doors. I work in an office with a revolving door at the entrance, but there are people who will not use it. They can see other people using it happily, but still insist on using the side door which is there for accessibility. The revolving door is much quicker and also means less heat is lost during winter. However, it requires some co-ordination, such as the ability to time a move and adjust your walking speed.

Normal doors? Not so simple. There are people in the office who just power through doors in one move, slamming the door open with no thought for anyone who might be behind it. There have already been injuries due to this practice. The noise is incredlble, too, like a bomb going off, and it damages the lock bolts too. I learned to use a door in two steps: (1) turn the handle, (2) push the door open slowly, giving anyone behind it a chance to move out the way or say something.

Then there are the double fire doors scattered throughout the building. They are double doors so that people can go in both directions at the same time. That seems to be too complex a concept, though, so when some people are going in one direction, people going in the other direction will stop and wait, in front of the closed door, for the first group to finish going through. Use both doors, people, that's why they're there ...

I never had this problem in previous jobs. I'm currently working in an office where I feel like I have to teach the employees how to use doors. :rolleyes:

The employees sound like they're as thick as double ditches!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Staying on the subject - Office doors that have pull handles on both sides. Put a flat plate on the push side, to give some indication to the poor saps who are visiting which direction they open. Its a very trivial annoyance....

Also, offices that have the door release button beside the fire alarm button. Its only a matter of time before I hit the wrong one.

I like this line from Demetri Martin
    I saw a door that said exit only. So I entered through it and went up to the guy working there and said "I have good news. You have severely underestimated that door over there. By like a hundred percent."

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

My own utter stupidity.

I nearly poisoned the whole house by filling the kettle with descaler, then forgetting about it and leaving it for others to make their tea.

I spent about ten minutes fighting with an office door, tried everything to get the key to turn in the lock, and eventually asked a colleague to try it.
    The door wasn't even locked :o

Here's hoping that's the end of it for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

hanging on in work with nothing to do..

when your work is done you should be expected to head off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

The minute it takes between the washing machine finishing its cycle and unlocking the door. :mad:

Allegedly it's to make sure the drum has stopped spinning so that people don't get their arms ripped off. Do they think they've almost cracked a perpetual motion machine or something? Give it five seconds and then unlock the fecker!

Sore throats, headaches, sneezing, and general coldy/flu-iness. I'm tired, grumpy and achy and I've had enough. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

TA'd that I have had at least one sneeze a day for past two weeks.

Both want them to stop , but also keep going for a Guinness World Record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Turning left or right on a swivel chair and hitting your knee cap off the leg of the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    TA'd that I have had at least one sneeze a day for past two weeks.

Both want them to stop , but also keep going for a Guinness World Record.

The longest sneezing fit ever recorded is that of Donna Griffiths (UK) (b. 1969) who started sneezing on 13 January 1981. She sneezed an estimated million times in the first 365 days and achieved her first sneeze-free day on 16 September 16 1983—the 978th day.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/67595-longest-sneezing-fit

You'd better call it a day Ted. Although I am annoyed at myself now, 'cause I hate to squash someone's dreams :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

TA'd at Maud now

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

maudgonner wrote: »
    The minute it takes between the washing machine finishing its cycle and unlocking the door. :mad:

Allegedly it's to make sure the drum has stopped spinning so that people don't get their arms ripped off. Do they think they've almost cracked a perpetual motion machine or something? Give it five seconds and then unlock the fecker!

ah you see without wishing to sound like a washing machine nerd if you spend a bit more on a washing machine it has a different lock which releases instantly after a spin, no more waiting a minute and the motor doesnt 'shril' as its spinning like the cheaper washing machines with motors that use carbon brushes. About 4 years ago we bought a neat hotpoint payed a bit more than we wanted to, think it was around €400 - the door opens instantly straight after spin :)

TA at cleaning windows - always end up with streaks! ... cant see the point in cleaning windows if they are gonna end up with runs and streaks and spots, might as well leave them dirty. - and on the inside I used Windowlene... it said on the bottle 'streak free shine' - guess what ... still got streaks! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,362 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Hotels where you have to insert your key card into a slot by the door in order to get the lights/TV to work! (I'm aware any card will work and will usually just leave a costa or some other generic card in the slot for the duration of my stay, but it's still a pain in the ass).

Double points for the ones that immediately cut the lights as soon as you remove said key card!! As usually they'd give you 30 seconds or so before plunging you into darkness!! But no, remove the card, instant darkness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Goddamn peaches I bought a couple of day ago were rock hard. Today, despite being covered over, they have little flies on them and are going mouldy. You just can't win with fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Really TA'd at having heard the first firework yesterday evening near where I live and feeling sorry for all the animals and nervous people who have to put up with them for the next two months although they used to start a bit earlier.

A dog I had years ago was so traumatised by them they got bloat which is a serious condition in animals and can be caused by stress which requires emergency surgery. It was the vet's first time to perform the surgery but managed to save the dog. I ended up with a huge vet bill which I didn't mind once the dog was saved but these d*ickheads never stop to think how their 'harmless' fun might affect those around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I have a plaster on my finger. But I keep forgetting about it and get it wet when I wash my hands getting the plaster all soggy and needing a change.

Queue stinging, painfully remove old plaster. Clean wound. Apply magic Savlon. More stinging. Apply new plaster.

Been wounded is a TA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/russian-scientists-trapped-in-arctic-by-polar-bears-face-month-long-wait-for-rescue/ar-BBw8eFU?li=BBr5HCU&ocid=iehp

This annoys me. Why are they sending them dogs for protection if a resident dog has already been killed. Why was the dog even there in the first place? I hate this whole thing of using our canine companions for ourselves and then celebrating them as some kind of hero when they die. No the dog did not choose to go to war, you brought it with you, against its will and now it is dead. By all means go and fight your silly war yourself, but don't bring innocent animals with you to do. Americans are the worst for this, and then facebook gets clogged up with rubbish posts about dogs that died in battle being given state funerals. Fúcktards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Proud Mammies and Daddies posting their kids junior cert results on fb.

TA when you are self employed and some people automatically assume you are well off because you have your own business. Come across this so much , and even had people say this to me and looking to sponsor this and that or give freebies away or buy raffle tickets for this and that, To be honest I have had quite a run of business being quiet and not as busy as it should be on the whole and also being honest if I were to go out and get a proper 9-5 job I am pretty sure I would most probably be better off . At least I would have a steady wage coming in which I haven't got at the moment and just have to rely on business as and when it comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

'Pickles' that you have to keep refrigerated and eat within 3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    'Pickles' that you have to keep refrigerated and eat within 3 days.

+1 - Anything that you have to eat within 3 days.

Green bananas! - aint no-one got time to wait for them to go ripe in the fruit bowl!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

The small print on hotel deals on those voucher/bargain websites. Oh, it's valid 7 days a week, great! *scrolls down* Aw, about 20 blackout dates listed, and an extra payment of like half the voucher value applies for weekend stays. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

When your efficient racing line route around the local supermarket to pick up your regular bits is completely ballsed up by totally unnecessary new layouts and moving all the stock around.....grrrr!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

gucci wrote: »
    When your efficient racing line route around the local supermarket to pick up your regular bits is completely ballsed up by totally unnecessary new layouts and moving all the stock around.....grrrr!!!!

Cornelscourt?!

TA at people walking on the phone. Try to overtake them on the right, they start veering right, try to overtake them on the left, they start veering left. UGH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Ha, you beat me to it asking was the supermarket re-org about Cornelscourt. Did about 5 laps of the fruit and veg section the other day and still couldnt find what I was looking for.

The Independent website continues to plumb new depths.

An article today on the Junior Cert mentions studying a "Shakespeare novel", another I saw last week confused "cited" and "sighted". Do the people writing these articles have any qualifications?

Then there are the articles about "classy gestures" and "hilarious twitter responses". Its joining the Daily Mail website in a race to the bottom.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement