Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial Things That Annoy You — Rules in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Ah yes the gossip mongers. A bad breed for sure. There is a particularly bad one here who was bladdering to all she met the day of my mothers funeral. So much so that she forgot who she was talking to and kept waffling on about how I'd never last in my job. Stopped my second cousins mother to inform her that My business wouldn't last as i was off working everyday for someone else and that the neighbours spent the whole day trying to find me. Total bollox.
    Of course she'd love for my business to fail as her son might gain out of it. Needless to say her guff was reported back to me. I give her a wide berth now and keep any conversation to idle chit chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Hippies send me into an irrational rage. Foraging, living off the land types. There was an episode of Grand Designs recently that featured a family who were building a house on a plot of land shared with others, and if they didn't make a living off the land within 5yrs they had to pack up and leave.
    Happy clappy tree hugging hippies :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Utah wrote:
    Trying to get out of a shop where you have to go through the cashier lanes. The empty ones are gated and you have to squeeze past people in the open ones. I'm looking at you Woodies and Lidl

I always feel that they think I've robbed something when I have to do that..very TAing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Someone referring to their toddler as 'the little man'.

People calling a holiday with their new baby a 'babymoon' or a honeymoon a 'minimoon' (is that just so they have an excuse to go on another big holiday -the actual honeymoon- a few months later?).

Very grumpy today.

People putting their hands on your shoulders when trying to get past you at a match/pub etc. Almost a push, but not quite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

miezekatze wrote: »

People calling a holiday with their new baby a 'babymoon' or a honeymoon a 'minimoon' (is that just so they have an excuse to go on another big holiday -the actual honeymoon- a few months later?).

Very grumpy today.

There must be something in the air, I'm grumpy as hell today and pouring scorn on everything. Almost TAing myself :).

I was googling a recipe for chocolate biscuit cake without butter and almost every recipe that came up had butter in it. WTF? Jesus, I hate Google sometimes:(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The butter isn't compulsory, but if you want to you can use coconut butter instead.

TA: I had a gorgeous pomegranate that I was looking forward to eating, but it went mouldy before I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Definitely not trivial but I don't know where to put this, a relation's sister took her own life recently. Her body was not found for a week and it took a few days for the family to twig she was missing. Cue idiots waffling that 'I could see that coming ages ago'.. . 'ah sure she couldn't even look after herself properly'.... I didn't know this lady personally myself... Never met her... so I didn't go to the funeral (long journey) but the stories I've heard back on the evening of her removal have enraged me.... If they knew so much then why didn't they reach out and help her instead of prattling on now when nothing can be done???? F*ck depression but f*ck the 'I told you so' brigade even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Sounds like a fierce terrible evening. I can hear and feel the wind actually shaking the house. I'm inside here wrapped up in a blanket beside a lovely fire. It's a night you wouldn't want to go out in.

Guess who has to go out and bring in the dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

I can't feel my fingers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

that ad that's on day and night lately about being careful around automatic gates

seriously does everyone have automatic gates only me - do so many people have automatic gates they have to run an ad about them? how many people have been killed or injured with these killer automatic gates. . . .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

that ad that's on day and night lately about being careful around automatic gates

seriously does everyone have automatic gates only me - do so many people have automatic gates they have to run an ad about them? how many people have been killed or injured with these killer automatic gates. . . .

Actually, loads, especially children, unfortunately... but I agree with you, repetitive ads are annoying and counterproductive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I would absolutely love a cake now.
    We have an Oxford Lunch in the press but that's for Christmas and I've told the other half not to touch it.
    Now it's calling me.
    I will ignore it.

TA'd that even though it's not Black Friday yet, I already know I'm going to be disappointed by the offers in-store, but I know I would regret it if I didn't go shopping so I will face the crowds and see what bargains..or lack of.. I can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I started a new job in the local shop. Major TA in and of itself but dem bills need to be paid and I'm lucky that I have a rake of service experience so the work while heavy enough sometimes (coal, gas etc) is no bother to me.

My new boss made a comment about me being popular with the customers, I didn't take much notice but on reflection he seemed a wee bit sarcy.

It turned out that three different people had told him I was helpful and nice. He thinks that I asked them to do that. Eh, no, I'm not a tragic loser who needs validation! I'm real grateful for the job an' all but it's not particularly highly-skilled and has zero to do with my degrees and to be fair, I'm only here until I get enough money to seek my fortune elsewhere.

Begone with your trivially annoying attitude new boss! Be grateful that I do work hard when I'm there and being nice is kinda the central tenet of service jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

TA'd at a recruiter using "Talent Hacker" as his job title on LinkedIn. Knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Having a shower in a cold house then gulping on shampoo by mistake. Tried doing my eyebrows and now I have a perpetually disheartened look about me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

miezekatze wrote: »

Very grumpy today.

I heard someone the other day talk about a "push present" and I had to Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

People who are coughing terribly without even putting a hand on their mouth let alone a tissue and spec in confined spaces

I mean really??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Airport security took my cheese but suggested going back out to check in hand luggage to get it through that way.

At the check in desk they told me it would be 30€....the cheese cost a fiver so I said no. Then she tagged the bag and I asked her why? She told me because of the type of plane the hand luggage is stored underbeath.

So why not just check the fookin thing in then for me if it ends up there anyway? Cheeses wept.

People who seem normal - and then use "loose" when they mean "lose".

They must pay!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

gramar wrote: »
    Airport security took my cheese but suggested going back out to check in hand luggage to get it through that way.

At the check in desk they told me it would be 30€....the cheese cost a fiver so I said no. Then she tagged the bag and I asked her why? She told me because of the type of plane the hand luggage is stored underbeath.

So why not just check the fookin thing in then for me if it ends up there anyway? Cheeses wept.

Those security staff dont give edam
    People who seem normal - and then use "loose" when they mean "lose".

They must pay!!!

They can pay, once the people who mix up "have" and "of" pay first.

ahlookit wrote: »

God yeah!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

but not before the 'i seen' and 'i done' brigade are taken out and shot at dawn. . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Getting paid on a different date every month. It means I use the law of averages to determine when my account is going to be flush again, make my plans and payments around that, and then it inevitably doesn't arrive in my account on that date and I am poor and angry :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

I would of said that too. Now I'm thinking I should of said something else entirely. Could of sworn I was right. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Definitely not trivial but I don't know where to put this, a relation's sister took her own life recently. Her body was not found for a week and it took a few days for the family to twig she was missing. Cue idiots waffling that 'I could see that coming ages ago'.. . 'ah sure she couldn't even look after herself properly'.... I didn't know this lady personally myself... Never met her... so I didn't go to the funeral (long journey) but the stories I've heard back on the evening of her removal have enraged me.... If they knew so much then why didn't they reach out and help her instead of prattling on now when nothing can be done???? F*ck depression but f*ck the 'I told you so' brigade even more.

Then you'll have the following.

"I don't know how anyone can do that to a family"
    "He/she was very selfish"
    "The cowards way out"

In my experience, limited as it is. The people who do this don't see any other way out, they are usually of the impression that it really is the best thing. They weren't cowards or selfish, but deeply troubled people with mental health issues which may or may not have been obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Then you'll have the following.

"I don't know how anyone can do that to a family"
    "He/she was very selfish"
    "The cowards way out"

In my experience, limited as it is. The people who do this don't see any other way out, they are usually of the impression that it really is the best thing. They weren't cowards or selfish, but deeply troubled people with mental health issues which may or may not have been obvious.

From personal experience, I know that it is extremely hard to spot someone who has come this far. My brother, in the days before his death, was in the best form of his life. You would never have known that he had any troubles. It feels like he had come to his decision and it was a weight off his mind. Everyone who met him the night it happened said he was in great form. It's very hard to know.

That one about 'the coward's way out' always riles me so much. I would say it takes courage many of us will never experience, no matter what our frame of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Lavinia wrote: »
    People who are coughing terribly without even putting a hand on their mouth let alone a tissue and spec in confined spaces

I mean really??????

My deepest apologies only the problem is I can't take out my hanky in time so sometimes I don't bother. Can't be helped.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I was only thinking to myself yesterday that it's been some time since I had a cold (I catch them ridiculously easy and last year I had seven colds).
    Well well, look who jinxed herself.

Today I've been blowing my nose all the time, my tastebuds are going funny and I feel bleurgh.
    On the upside, I probably won't get sick for Christmas now, fingers crossed.

A few years ago I was struck down with the most awful chest infection that ruined my Christmas Day and left me in bed for the majority of the day.

Also TA'd at the sight of people in the chipper when I have a nice healthy chicken casserole to come home to.
    Gimmie chips!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

From personal experience, I know that it is extremely hard to spot someone who has come this far. My brother, in the days before his death, was in the best form of his life. You would never have known that he had any troubles. It feels like he had come to his decision and it was a weight off his mind. Everyone who met him the night it happened said he was in great form. It's very hard to know.

That one about 'the coward's way out' always riles me so much. I would say it takes courage many of us will never experience, no matter what our frame of mind.
    I agree completely. When I was in secondary school one of the loveliest and most popular guys in my class went the same way. We'd never have guessed it. I remember him a week before he died, bumbling late into the leaving cert exam hall with a grin on his face. It is not a cowardly thing to do at all. That 'C' word is the worst. It takes a lot of pain for someone to make that final, fatal decision, and no-one should judge them. Also: I'm very sorry for your loss Paddy :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement