Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial Things That Annoy You — Rules in Post #1

Options

Comments

TA #1:

As somebody who has already mentioned being annoyed by "background" noise, especially from the same commercial radio/tv patter that's been going since the 1980s, my worst nightmare came through: I had to listen to the whole labour process of my child being born to FM104. Yeah, if you don't laugh you'd cry.

You couldn't invent this. The midwife was lovely and very good at her job but you'd think the maternity hospitals would have guidelines to stop this noise being imposed upon patients just because the midwife likes it. Indeed if noise is allowed the patient may even have their own choice of music etc that could have been facilitated (such as this). Either way, is there nowhere free from this incessant imposition of radio and tv noise on our lives even at such an important time?

TA #2:

Now, for the thing which annoys me no end: what is it with some (and, fortunately, it is only a minority but they are there) Irish people and this thick, ignorant question about Irish names: "What's that in English?" What the fúck is their problem that they have to reduce everything to the English world that has been imposed on them? The mentality gobsmacks me every time. The ignorance and intolerance is breathtaking that they just cannot accept a name in its own Irish tradition, in its own right, and move on without seeking to reduce it to English terms, to an English name which it almost always has no etymological or historical connection other than the English imposed that particular name on the (ancient) Irish name.

For instance, Tadhg means poet and philosopher and was an extremely common Irish first name (hence 'Taigs' in the North). It does not mean 'Timothy', which is from the Greek meaning 'honouring God', and has zero connection to it other than the English imposed that anglicisation on Irish people called Tadhg. Why does your stupid mindset want to perpetuate the original offence by continuing to impose it on Irish names? And so on with the vast majority of other names in Irish.

Let me be clear: I have no problem at all with people asking what does that name mean, and I will readily explain it with the greatest of respect. However, expecting me to put my name and the name of my children into their narrow, intolerant English Only world is a degree of ignorance and intolerance I refuse outright to have imposed upon either my own name or that of my children. Please fúck off.

TA #1:

As somebody who has already mentioned being annoyed by "background" noise, especially from the same commercial radio/tv patter that's been going since the 1980s, my worst nightmare came through: I had to listen to the whole labour process of my child being born to FM104. Yeah, if you don't laugh you'd cry.

You couldn't invent this. The midwife was lovely and very good at her job but you'd think the maternity hospitals would have guidelines to stop this noise being imposed upon patients just because the midwife likes it. Indeed if noise is allowed the patient may even have their own choice of music etc that could have been facilitated (such as this). Either way, is there nowhere free from this incessant imposition of radio and tv noise on our lives even at such an important time?

You really do have little to be worrying about :)

That is my TA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

You really do have little to be worrying about :)

That is my TA.

My TA is people telling other people they must have little to be worrying about when in reality they haven't a fcuking notion what people's real worries are.

Yesterday while having a lovely breakfast out with someone deadly, I got TAd listening to the radio while eating pancakes, you might say I had little to be worrying about if I was concerned about what was on the radio right?

But that song was Somewhere over the rainbow and I had to leave abruptly before I made a sobbing mess of myself in the middle of a restaurant.

So I get slightly more than trivially annoyed when people make comments like the above without having the faintest clue of what people may really have been worrying about during a particular time but may not be for the reasons you assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

TA #1:

I guess it's her (??) Place of work at the end of the day....and yere only passing through

Imagine if she had to listen to that gentlebirth stuff all day everyday
    I know parents of newborns are all consumed by it....but there's others in the world too and have to be considered
    (But yes fm104 is meant to be terrible fwiw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Got a new phone from Santa. The phone arrived two weeks ago. On checking it today I realised I need a micro SIM. So new phone useless till I get to town next week. Very TA'd that I didn't check the phone before today. First world TA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Got a new phone from Santa. The phone arrived two weeks ago. On checking it today I realised I need a micro SIM. So new phone useless till I get to town next week. Very TA'd that I didn't check the phone before today. First world TA.

2 things, 1. Are you sure your own sim doesn't convert to a micro? Most of them now pop out to fit the smaller sims. And 2. If you're with Vodafone I can post you a micro sim tomorrow if that helps.

I had my phone stolen two weeks ago, got it back broken, TAd that it was fixed by the repairers during the week but didn't arrive back before I left on friday. Miss my Samsung camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

She can also go into a store and they will cut the SIM to fit, but the new ones can be converted alright, just pop them out.

My back is very sore now and I'm sleepy.

Thanks a mill but Im not on Voda. No coverage where I live.
    Will have another look at the current SIM and see can anything be done x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Thanks a mill but Im not on Voda. No coverage where I live.
    Will have another look at the current SIM and see can anything be done x

Where do you live that you can't get Vodafone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

TA'd that I made trifle yesterday and the custard lost its thickness overnight so I've had to reheat and add cornflour for thickness. I want trifle and I want it now. (Thankful I hadn't put on the cream).

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Where do you live that you can't get Vodafone?

Arse end of tipperary

Arse end of tipperary

Huh, I travel around tipp a lot and nearly always have 4G.

Ta: I got 3 sets of the same deodorant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

An hour of Fair City on Xmas day. Mother of jaysus. Kill me now. I'm stuck in a house of people glued to the TV. A dose of diarrhoea would be a welcome relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

TA mods that are renaming the threads titles prob thinking how funny they are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Lavinia wrote: »
    TA mods that are renaming the threads titles prob thinking how funny they are...

God forbid mods try to have a laugh with posters :rolleyes: Christ almighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

All I know it's made me crave trifle since I've seen it. I didn't have any room in the fridge till now but am needing some.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

KERSPLAT! wrote:
    God forbid mods try to have a laugh with posters Christ almighty.

But you know we're easily TAd here and it's unsettling us..ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Stomach is bollixed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I cannot stand the Dublin airport hysterics. It started out as an article on the news about people coming home for Christmas. Now its become hoards of people running to meet people off planes, all crying and hugging etc. All nauseating and over acted. By all means, be glad to see your loved ones coming home, but there is no need for the Chariots Of Fire slow motion running, and jumping on the person as they come through, unless you're a gorgeous blonde coming to jump all over me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Santa brought my dogs beds last year. Big one for the big dog. Small one for the small dog. All year puppy slept in the big bed. This year Santa brought two big beds. Now puppy is laying in the middle, taking up both beds, snoring, while big dog lays on the floor beside the bed. Little brat

kfallon wrote: »
    Stomach is bollixed :(

Same here, didn't get any of the dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Same here, didn't get any of the dinner

I did but not eaten before or since!
    Need to be ok for tomorrow :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

George Michael dead. I mean, this is getting ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭4Ad

Cranky barmen..here in Lanzarote in one ****e bar, I know no one asked me go in..one lad is ok the other is a nasty peevish c**t...i only asked for thw WIFI password not his first born..c##t..im sober but bored...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭4Ad

4Ad wrote: »
    Cranky barmen..here in Lanzarote in one ****e bar, I know no one asked me go in..one lad is ok the other is a nasty peevish c**t...i only asked for thw WIFI password not his first born..c##t..im sober but bored...

Guess I'm cranky..

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

All I know it's made me crave trifle since I've seen it. I didn't have any room in the fridge till now but am needing some.

I personally have had a large slice of trifle. And it was delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

TA that I cannot figure out why I am feeling rough. A cold? Too much in my belly? Hangover?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    God forbid mods try to have a laugh with posters :rolleyes: Christ almighty.

:mad:

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

Spending a lot of time that i don't have, and a lot of money on someone who thinks so little of me that on Christmas Eve, he would break the handle of a sweeping brush across my legs. I know what he's like, I know what he's capable of, and I still put myself in that situation, i never learn.

Is that your ex???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement