Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial Things That Annoy You — Rules in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,217 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

everlast75 wrote: »
    8 little scrotes acting up in the estate. Rang the gardai twice. Local garda station is part time. 45 mins later no sign of them.

I drive down to local shop to get a packet of biscuits. Get stopped by a garda checkpoint.

No issue with the rank and file, but clearly the powers that be are more interested in collecting cash than sorting anti social behaviour

You seem surprised?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The F**king creaking f**king floorboards on my landing!!!!

I swear to f**k I'm going to rip the f**kers up and replace all the joists with big f**king f**k off steel beams!!

Mrs BoBandy getting ready for work at 6am so I head on downstairs to make her a fresh Latte as I do every morning, except this time I decide to take the alternate route across the landing and proceed to creak the f**k out of every board under the carpet!!, waking the little guy up in the process!! He normally sleeps til about 8:30am, so thats today f**ked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Got killed in the Werewolf game on the second day. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I have been managing our recent headlice visit to our home like a pro but today was the last straw. The 8month old baby has also got them. I can't use the chemist solution on her so we are both going around with a solution of rosemary, tea tree and lavender essential oils on us. I swear I'm a mere nanostep away from taking flamethrower to the whole freaking house!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Rogueish wrote: »
    I have been managing our recent headlice visit to our home like a pro but today was the last straw. The 8month old baby has also got them. I can't use the chemist solution on her so we are both going around with a solution of rosemary, tea tree and lavender essential oils on us. I swear I'm a mere nanostep away from taking flamethrower to the whole freaking house!

Peppermint might also be worth a try. Why spoil the ship for a hap'orth of tar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

TA'd by two fools in my workplace. Caught the two making sly and nasty remarks about me again. HR is useless. Their manager is also usless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Wearing a suit is a big TA. I am the rebel with no tie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Started new meds last week. Now bloated up like Mrs Blobby, ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I am looking for a really important letter. It's somewhere in a mountain of boxes of "stuff" from when I moved house nearly a year ago.

It's really really really important and essential that I find it, and there's no way of getting a replacement. The thing is - because it's so important and essential - I've a nagging feeling I put it somewhere "safe", like maybe inside something, or even possibly separate to all the other boxes.

I want to go back in time and slap myself. Hard! Why didn't I scan a copy to my e-mail at the time ... I'm some feckin eejit!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I am looking for a really important letter. It's somewhere in a mountain of boxes of "stuff" from when I moved house nearly a year ago.

It's really really really important and essential that I find it, and there's no way of getting a replacement. The thing is - because it's so important and essential - I've a nagging feeling I put it somewhere "safe", like maybe inside something, or even possibly separate to all the other boxes.

I want to go back in time and slap myself. Hard! Why didn't I scan a copy to my e-mail at the time ... I'm some feckin eejit!

I'm having the exact same quandary, with a certificate I got last year. The last I remember of it is going through some post and dockets on my kitchen table and putting it to one side thinking I need to put that into my little briefcase that I put all my important paperwork into. Went to get it about two weeks ago and it's not in the briefcase, I have gone through all the stuff in the briefcase several times since going through every envelope in case I missed it. I have gone through every drawer, nook and cranny in the house since too and I just can't find it. I wish I could whisk myself back in time to that day at the kitchen table to see what I did next with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I'm having the exact same quandary, with a certificate I got last year. The last I remember of it is going through some post and dockets on my kitchen table and putting it to one side thinking I need to put that into my little briefcase that I put all my important paperwork into. Went to get it about two weeks ago and it's not in the briefcase, I have gone through all the stuff in the briefcase several times since going through every envelope in case I missed it. I have gone through every drawer, nook and cranny in the house since too and I just can't find it. I wish I could whisk myself back in time to that day at the kitchen table to see what I did next with it!

The best of it then is you would find stuff like that when you are not looking for it :(. If I am in a blind panic looking for something I will never find it :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If it's of any help, I keep some of my important documents inside a suitcase, maybe you've done the same.

MY TA is that one person has to call to the house every Tuesday morning. It's now 7PM and there's no sign of him. Not even a flipping text.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Friend of mine gets a letter today addressed in Irish, the last part of the road name was "Làna" as she lives in Lawn.
    She laughed......It was from the Irish school the kid goes to.. Làna is Lane and Plàsog is lawn....tsk tsk
    (fair play to postman/woman for righting the wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

The serrated edge on the clingfilm I bought is on the lid rather than the box. So I have to pull the clingfilm up rather than down to tear a piece off. As if clingfilm wasn't annoying enough anyway FFS :(

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

When you are in a petrol station buying a few sweeteens and a bottle of pop and they insist on interogating you at the till as to whether you got any fuel outside.
    P1sses me no end.
    I'm an honest person and if I got any fuel outside at the till is where I would usually declare it without the need to be grilled.
    I also have an average memory but still if I just filled up outside and took the 10 steps to the till chances are I will remember to pay.
    Not like your in there trying to pull off the great escape

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Well if you would usually declare it, that doesn't mean always.

Anyway I believe the reason for this is that is if you say no and actually did get fuel, you are lying rather than "forgetting".
    I'm sure there's no way to prove people lied about it, but this is the reason they ask everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

Anyway I believe the reason for this is that is if you say no and actually did get fuel, you are lying rather than "forgetting".
    I'm sure there's no way to prove people lied about it, but this is the reason they ask everyone.

Ok I'll rephrase that and say I would always declare it at the till.im buying fuel 20 years and never forgot to pay or intentionally forgot either.
    I'd compare it to standing outside a toilet and asking the people on their way out if they remembered to p1ss while they were in there just incase they forgot or are pretending to forget later on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

When you are in a petrol station buying a few sweeteens and a bottle of pop and they insist on interogating you at the till as to whether you got any fuel outside.
    P1sses me no end.
    I'm an honest person and if I got any fuel outside at the till is where I would usually declare it without the need to be grilled.
    I also have an average memory but still if I just filled up outside and took the 10 steps to the till chances are I will remember to pay.

It is a pain in the hole but they have to ask if there's fuel outstanding. It is surprising how many people need the nudge to pay for the fuel. In my experience it is mostly people who have been chatting or doing a big shop and it genuinely slips their mind. I guess if you are held responsible for any drive-offs then you're sure as sh1t going to ask :)

Yes, you're right there, it is different when they lie although the outcome is the same. If you drive away without paying, your car reg and cctv stills are given to the Guards and you can expect a visit from them. Now that would be more than trivially annoying!

My own unrelated TA this evening is not having any cash for an emergency trip to Dublin. Will have to borrow it as I want to attend a funeral so it is worth asking for it but still maddening that I have to ask in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

TA'd at people ringing me at 10.30pm for a chat. Ffs! If my phone rings at night I will automatically assume someone has died AND it didnt help that an hour before, a picture fell off my wall and the superstition is that when that happens, someone in your family is going to die.
    So that didnt help my worry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I have one very red bloodshot eye. I need one of these things:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTz-mdyu5FZCG4U9B54Rnz8izazBNE4mTYE--Mx_u0JT9UhULp1FQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

fussyonion wrote: »
    TA'd at people ringing me at 10.30pm for a chat. Ffs! If my phone rings at night I will automatically assume someone has died AND it didnt help that an hour before, a picture fell off my wall and the superstition is that when that happens, someone in your family is going to die.
    So that didnt help my worry!!

Top Tip: Don't hang any pictures up!

P1sses me no end.

My memory's ok but if I have too much on my mind I'msometimes glad they've asked because I would have forgotten.
    Also, I often buy something at the deli counter after refuelling the car, and there can be a queue for five to ten minutes for that. I mentally drift off in queues. Maybe I should pay for the fuel first and then queue for the deli, now that I think of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

My memory's ok but if I have too much on my mind I'msometimes glad they've asked because I would have forgotten.
    Also, I often buy something at the deli counter after refuelling the car, and there can be a queue for five to ten minutes for that. I mentally drift off in queues. Maybe I should pay for the fuel first and then queue for the deli, now that I think of it!

And move your car away from the pumps!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

My memory's ok but if I have too much on my mind I'msometimes glad they've asked because I would have forgotten. Also, I often buy something at the deli counter after refuelling the car, and there can be a queue for five to ten minutes for that. I mentally drift off in queues. Maybe I should pay for the fuel first and then queue for the deli, now that I think of it!

maudgonner wrote:

I regularly move my car away from the pump before going into pay, I'm gonna forget to pay some day, I know it!

maudgonner wrote: »

Yes, if there's a parking space or anywhere I can squeeze the car that's not blocking the road, I move it. Obviously if I'm not getting fuel and just need something from the food counter I don't park next to a pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

People who shorten down other people's names. My full name is long enough, and there's many different nicknames I'm called, and for the most part that's fine as it's by people who know me well enough to use a nickname or I'll introduce myself with the shorter name.

It's drives me mad hearing people shorten down random people's names. There's a hairdresser in town who was forever at it, it drove me so mad I stopped going to her.

Mary - "may-r"
    Amanda - calls herself Mandy (fine) - "mand"
    Stacey - "stay"
    Joanne - "jo"

I'm sure if "stay" wanted a stranger to call her "stay" that's the name she'd have booked herself in under.

Also people who state "fact" or "and that's a fact" which is usually at the end of an illiterate attempt of a written rant/threat. People saying it also annoys me but to a lesser degree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

People who shorten down other people's names. My full name is long enough, and there's many different nicknames I'm called, and for the most part that's fine as it's by people who know me well enough to use a nickname or I'll introduce myself with the shorter name.

It's drives me mad hearing people shorten down random people's names. There's a hairdresser in town who was forever at it, it drove me so mad I stopped going to her.

Mary - "may-r"
    Amanda - calls herself Mandy (fine) - "mand"
    Stacey - "stay"
    Joanne - "jo"

I'm sure if "stay" wanted a stranger to call her "stay" that's the name she'd have booked herself in under.

Also people who state "fact" or "and that's a fact" which is usually at the end of an illiterate attempt of a written rant/threat. People saying it also annoys me but to a lesser degree

Easy Lex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

People who shorten down other people's names.

Totally agree Ale, drives me nuts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Winterlong wrote: »
    Totally agree Ale, drives me nuts too.

Trivially annoyed my witty quips aren't unique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Trying to open one of these awkward plastic fcukers when the very thing I need to open it... is trapped inside. The irony of it.

Plastic-Heat-sealing-scissor-packaging.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement