Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial Things That Annoy You — Rules in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Don't get me wrong, I like supporting the charities of my choice. What I cannot stand is pushy fundraisers who try to bully me into buying whatever they're selling. Step back there please. You don't know me or my situation and if I cannot afford to give you €3 on the spot then I cannot afford it and no amount of guilt trips will magically make €3 appear in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The English woman that regularly visits Ireland and calls her elderly mother to tell her she's arrived ok, only she's not calling her elderly mother, she's calling my home phone (she's just dialling the number like she would in the U.K. which just happens to be my home number in Ireland) and she's always leaving voice messages asking mummy why she's not answering the phone... this has been going on for months, and some of the information she was leaving on the answering machine was quite detailed. I know her mother has a bad knee, but Dr. Singh is giving her better pain killers now, her husband Tom drives a Mondeo, but sometimes they take her VW Beetle to Ireland, they have a holiday home in West Cork, she hates Guinness but Tom loves it, her 2 sons Rob & Ben both go to college in Lincoln & they have a cat named Nibbles.

The ironic thing is, no one actually calls us on the land line, it came free with the broadband, and occasionally herself needs a fax line.
    We only ever get wrong number calls on it!!

Eventually one day I caught her and tried to explain (with great difficulty) that Ireland was another country, and while in another country, she would need to use the +44 prefix while dropping the 1st 0 in the U.K. number in order to reach 'mummy'.

She's back!!

2 voicemails yesterday and 2 calls from her!!

1st call I explained what she needed to do to reach the U.K. from Ireland, 5 minutes later she calls me back saying it didn't work and what should she do!!

"Friends" who pass negative comments about the people you love. Don't you see that it hurts me when you say mean stuff like that? Can't you just bite your tongue?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Customs charges. Three packages today and a big charge on each. Over half the item value on one and 25 % on the others.

And TA'd at not being able to buy what's needed over here, so I have to import from America..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

She's back!!

2 voicemails yesterday and 2 calls from her!!

1st call I explained what she needed to do to reach the U.K. from Ireland, 5 minutes later she calls me back saying it didn't work and what should she do!!
    She should put the phone down, step away from it and don't go near it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Loud, striding, shoutey men, usually in a cheap suit and always on the phone.
    You know, important people.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...I explained what she needed to do to reach the U.K. from Ireland, 5 minutes later she calls me back saying it didn't work and what should she do!!

She sounds like one of those English people, you know, the thick-as-bottled-pigshit sort. "Ooooh, they don't do it prop'ly here, DO they Malcolm!"

Tell her that it sounds like the UK phone system has developed a fault, and she should write to British Airways at their Telephone Headquarters at 27 Whichways, Penzance, Cornwall CBR900RR, to tell them. They actually run the British telephones system, not a lot of people actually know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Loud, striding, shoutey men, usually in a cheap suit and always on the phone.
    You know, important people.

Leave the poor sod alone - if he doesn't sell more washing-powder than Barry in the next cube before month-end he won't get the company car upgrade from a BMW 316i to a BMW 318d. And his wife will start bonking that weird-looking youngfella at the gym. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Scotland football fans have no DT (Arsenal fan) on YouTube.

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Scotland football fans have no DT (Arsenal fan) on YouTube.

What?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

What?

SCOTLAND FOOTBALL FANS HAVE NO DT (ARSENAL FAN) ON YOUTUBE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I dropped my phone on the kitchen tiles and the screen has smashed. Very TA'd that I have no one to blame. And a replacement screen is €130.

Winterlong wrote: »
    SCOTLAND FOOTBALL FANS HAVE NO DT (ARSENAL FAN) ON YOUTUBE.

But what does it mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

But what does it mean?

Daffodils of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Sinus and chest infections are my worst trivial annoyance :(

TA I've a lot of work-related reading to do, and zero concentration or interest in doing work-related reading. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Poor Seamus :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Horrible leg break for him. Feel so bad for him and so annoyed at Taylor for being so reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The cult of busyness nowadays. "Oh my God, I haven't a MINUTE". I do stuff, I don't go on about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The cult of busyness nowadays. "Oh my God, I haven't a MINUTE". I do stuff, I don't go on about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Cracker crumbs down my top :/

Seeing a ranty Facebook status by a friend with an invisible illness telling people what not to say to people with invisible illnesses. Point number 1) Never say '' I tried such and such, and it worked''. People with invisible illnesses know all about the alternative remedies, quack cures, special diets and exercise regimes. If it worked, we wouldn't be suffering, day in, day out.

I think that was aimed at me because I told her I tried a non prescription treatment for a similar problem to one she mentioned, and it helped a bit. I wasn't saying it was that simple to cure her illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Incorrect use of the apostrophe.
    People at super market checkouts who either decide they need to get something else and expect others to wait, and people waiting until the cashier has totalled the bill before reaching into their pocket/bag to get their cash or card.
    People telling you what they are "entitled " to from the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Seeing a ranty Facebook status by a friend with an invisible illness telling people what not to say to people with invisible illnesses. '' Point number 1) Never say '' I tried such and such, and it worked''. People with invisible illnesses know all about the alternative remedies, quack cures, special diets and exercise regimes. If it worked, we wouldn't be suffering, day in, day out.''

I think that was aimed at me because I told her I tried a non prescription treatment for a similar problem to one she mentioned, and it helped a bit. I wasn't saying it was that simple to cure her illness.
    I'd be inclined to tell her to stop going on about it then if she doesn't want people's advice,

TA that I have to be such a bitch

I'd be inclined to tell her to stop going on about it then if she doesn't want people's advice,

She'd get a lot of mileage out of it if I did. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Sorry about your friend being passive-aggressive with you, Widdershins. It's just possible it's not aimed at you, especially if it was advice about a symptom rather than a cure. People with chronic illnesses genuinely do get unsolicited medical advice all the time. Or maybe your friend is just passive-aggressive.

People who are not medically qualified and don't have experience of the illness can not give medical advice. It's simply not needed. The person with the illness knows it already.

TA at lingering colds.

twill wrote: »
    Sorry about your friend being passive-aggressive with you, Widdershins. It's just possible it's not aimed at you, especially if it was advice about a symptom rather than a cure. People with chronic illnesses genuinely do get unsolicited medical advice all the time. Or maybe your friend is just passive-aggressive.

People who are not medically qualified and don't have experience of the illness can not give medical advice. It's simply not needed. The person with the illness knows it already.

And telling someone to shut up about something that probably dominates their every waking moment would take some hard neck, I think.

TA at lingering colds.

Thank you but from experience I believe she has been irritated by me for some time, it's not the first time a post has appeared right after I've said something and got sudden radio silence. I don't feel the same about anyone else, she just makes me feel like I've said the wrong thing no matter what I've said. I have an invisible illness of sorts myself so I know it is difficult, but she carries on as if she's the first person to suffer from anything.

She didn't know of the thing I suggested already. She doesn't seem to have tried anything really, despite what she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Omackeral wrote: »
    When people refer to the Jamie Bulger case. The child's name was James, not Jamie. His parents never called him Jamie. His family never called him it. It's a completely different name.

Have to say I've only ever heard him referred to as Jamie on Media and everything.

I have the most weirdest ever stabbing pain on the left side of my crown. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Thank you but from experience I believe she has been irritated by me for some time, it's not the first time a post has appeared right after I've said something and got sudden radio silence. I don't feel the same about anyone else, she just makes me feel like I've said the wrong thing no matter what I've said. I have an invisible illness of sorts myself so I know it is difficult, but she carries on as if she's the first person to suffer from anything.

She didn't know of the thing I suggested already. She doesn't seem to have tried anything really, despite what she said.
    Sorry about that. She does seem like an attention seeker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Some people are just miserable and thrive on whinging. If you offer constructive help it will p!ss them off because if they try it and it works, they'll have nothing to whinge about so they put you down to shut you up. Negative people like that are more than a trivial annoyance. They can really sap your energy and bring you down. Don't offer any more help and keep your distance as much as possible. Anyone who makes you feel bad when you're trying to help, isn't worth your time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement