Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial Things That Annoy You — Rules in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

erica74 wrote: »
    I hate flies so much, they're so dirty.

On the topic of spiders, I thought they came in the house where it's warm because it's too cold outside and if you put them outside, they just die? Did I make that up? Did someone make it up and feed it to me as the truth?
    I don't mind spiders. There's a big one living in my bathroom but she's got a sack of eggs hanging off of her and the bathroom is really only big enough for one spider so I'll have to keep an eye on things.

I had one in last year during the cold winter months. She was way up high on a skylight and she was good for keeping down flies. We kept ourselves to ourselves. When the weather improved I moved her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Genuinely TA at all the cruel spider-killing mechanism chat. Some of us love all creatures - stop ruining the thread!:rolleyes:

The spider catcher gadget's supposed to be humane, it lets you carry them outside without having to get close to them..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Genuinely TA at all the cruel spider-killing mechanism chat. Some of us love all creatures - stop ruining the thread!:rolleyes:

Do you love Streptococcus pneumoniae?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

erica74 wrote: »
    she's got a sack of eggs hanging off of her

34ish1s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mollygreene

people that put coffee in before sugar so you're left with coffee granules in the sugar bowl and a slight taste of coffee in your tea!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I have a rule when it comes to insects, in most particular arachnids: not in my house, and, now hear this: not in my FUCKAN bathroom! :D

Glenster wrote: »
    Do you love Streptococcus pneumoniae?

I wouldn't know - I've never had it ;)

I wouldn't know - I've never had it ;)

Probably because of all those antibiotics you take.

So lets not pretend that there isn't an ordering of creatures you wouldn't happily see die to make your life slightly better.

You wouldn't kill spiders, fair enough. I wouldn't kill rabbit or higher.

But we all kill creatures. so lets relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I have no fear of spiders and I always carry them outside but if I thought that there was a rat or a mouse in the house I would have to move out until I was sure it was gone..I can't even look at pictures of them.

So lets not pretend that there isn't an ordering of creatures you wouldn't happily see die to make your life slightly better.

Sorry what exactly is that supposed to mean? How would you have any idea how many antibiotics I take? And FYI antibiotics do not work prophylactically - they are a cure rather than a preventative.

I'm not prepared to get into a lofty debate with you about the merit or morality of using others to improve one's own life. I simply stated (on the TA thread I hasten to add) that I was TA'd by all the chit chat about spider killing. It is you who decided to latch onto that and stir up conflict. So perhaps it is you and not "us" that needs to relax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Boyfriend calls, I'm mid conversation with a colleague so don't reply.
    Call back literally TWO MINUTES later and the phone rings out.
    WTF. You called me two minutes ago you can't be that far away from your phone!! :rolleyes:

Colser wrote: »
    I have no fear of spiders and I always carry them outside but if I thought that there was a rat or a mouse in the house I would have to move out until I was sure it was gone..I can't even look at pictures of them.

I'm actually afraid of them too, but I try not to do them harm.

TA how time just f*cking slows right down on a Friday afternoon. :mad:

The ad for Skon sliding doors. What's not to be annoyed about? The mom saying "well you would have something to wear if you picked your clothes up off the floor" in a sing song voice and then the cheeky kid saying "well I would if I had a skon sliding wardrobe". Also the fact that they have to spell it."Skon. That's S-K-O-N.com" and then the fact that "in Sweden Skon means beautiful" but somehow and for some reason unknown to mankind "in Ireland Skon means quality" - why the Feck does it mean something else here??

But the spider can exist without having any effect on you whereas the bacteria might make you seriously ill so what choice do you have but to take antibiotics. The principle is to leave harmless things alone, or to remove them and get them away humanely

Sorry what exactly is that supposed to mean? How would you have any idea how many antibiotics I take? And FYI antibiotics do not work prophylactically - they are a cure rather than a preventative.

They're bacteria Zyklon B.

If you've ever taken any you've killed millions of living organisms.

I'm TA'd about all the "I love animals" virtue signalling.

Probably more than a TA but I never ever feel clean. My house is immaculate. I wear clan clothes every day. I shower morning and evening. I change underwear regularly. I wash my hands throughout the day. But I never feel clean.

Probably more than a TA but I never ever feel clean. My house is immaculate. I wear clan clothes every day. I shower morning and evening. I change underwear regularly. I wash my hands throughout the day. But I never feel clean.

This might be the cause of your concerns :P

Its probably the soot from the cross burnings

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Cover yourself in hand sanitiser

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 40,447 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

TA'd that somebody talks about killing bacteria and "I love animals" virtue signal as if there is some connection between the two.

• Advertisement

But the spider can exist without having any effect on you whereas the bacteria might make you seriously ill so what choice do you have but to take antibiotics. The principle is to leave harmless things alone, or to remove them and get them away humanely
    A fears a fear though. I had a spider climb into my ear and get stuck, and ever since I'm terrified of them. Same with rats and mice. Terrified is not the word. I won't even pick up a box of brand new traps in a shop, or can't look at a picture without freaking out. The little mouse in the green mile is the sole reason I can't watch it. I like most animals but a fears a fear and it's either them or me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

A fears a fear though. I had a spider climb into my ear and get stuck, and ever since I'm terrified of them. Same with rats and mice. Terrified is not the word. I won't even pick up a box of brand new traps in a shop, or can't look at a picture without freaking out. The little mouse in the green mile is the sole reason I can't watch it. I like most animals but a fears a fear and it's either them or me.

TA that Lexie reminded me of her story about the spider/ear combination. Had nightmares for weeks after first reading the full, terrifying story in another thread :eek:

TA - was gorgeous this morning and I wore my Gucci wedges (only expensive pair of casual shoes) to work this morning. Now I need to get home in a hurry and it's pegging rain my cars a ten min walk away and my shoes will get ruined, (or I'll look like a weirdo in my bare feet with shoes in my handbag in the rain. And I don't even have a jacket with me to put around my bag to stop it getting wet. Why do bad things happen good people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

TA that Lexie reminded me of her story about the spider/ear combination. Had nightmares for weeks after first reading the full, terrifying story in another thread :eek:

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Maybe one of these would be handy https://www.spidercatcher.net/EU/home.htm

Not sure about spiders but that's true for ladybirds.

I can't remember the last time I saw a ladybird.
    I should put a sign out, "all critters welcome".
    I had one in last year during the cold winter months. She was way up high on a skylight and she was good for keeping down flies. We kept ourselves to ourselves. When the weather improved I moved her out.

Ah I leave them be even when the weather improves, our bathroom window is always open so I figure they'll head off in their own time.
    Colser wrote: »

I had a rat in my bathroom once. It was horrific. I won't even go into the details because I know it'll freak people out but genuinely, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy:(
    Bambi985 wrote: »
    Boyfriend calls, I'm mid conversation with a colleague so don't reply.
    Call back literally TWO MINUTES later and the phone rings out.
    WTF. You called me two minutes ago you can't be that far away from your phone!! :rolleyes:

YES!!!! What did your bloody hands just fall off in the space of a minute or two??!

I know. Phobias aren't meant to be rational, I have at least one. I turn into a different person when I'm forced to confront it. That catcher might help you because you can use it from a distance..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I'm terrified of spiders too but I don't think I've ever (knowingly) killed one, usually cos I'm running as fast as my legs can carry me in the next direction. I usually send in my boyfriend and he lets them out. Worst of all are those daddy long legs, (not really a spider I know) bouncing across the room. Ah! I don't mind woodlice I think they're chill enough, and you're less likely to have one crawl on you.

I know. Phobias aren't meant to be rational, I have at least one. I turn into a different person when I'm forced to confront it. That catcher might help you because you can use it from a distance..

TA you reminded me of my trypophobia. Gah! :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,447 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

TA'd that a coughing fit has resulted in me pulling something in my back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

My time is not my own today.

And all this spider talk is reminding me of when a little army of them got born behind the fuse box of a house I lived in. About thirty of them marched in formation across the ceiling.
    Should have charged them rent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement