Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial Things That Annoy You — Rules in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

People throwing pseudo-academic phrases into everyday conversation

e.g. "correlation is not causation", "this is problematic" etc

Philistine.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm going to the airport soon. I wont arrive at my destination until 8 tomorrow morning.
    I didn't need that day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm going to the airport soon. I wont arrive at my destination until 8 tomorrow morning.

You time traveller, you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

People throwing pseudo-academic phrases into everyday conversation

e.g. "correlation is not causation", "this is problematic" etc

More people would do well to remember that, especially some of our media outlets.

TA'd that I meant to do something at my desk at lunch, but needs a letter I've left out in my car..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Can we launch into chit chat and endless posts devoid of TA's in your absence?! :P

TA I have to change a pair of jeans at lunchtime. What a waste of a valuable hour doing something so dreary.

• Advertisement

TA'd at the tooth that I cracked again last night from grinding my teeth in my sleep. I only had it repaired last week. Bye, bye another €120.00

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Went to a funeral mass today at 12pm.
    Got there in plenty of time as we had both smallies with us and we wanted to sit in the back in case we needed to leave if they got loud or restless. We sat at the end of the pew so as not to disrupt anyone should this be the case.
    The amount of people who showed up late and I mean 20min late and tried to muscle into the end of the pew was a major TA. The must have thought they were invisible to the rest of the crowd. I refused to move in and they had the cheek to click their tongue at me and be vexed.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Can we launch into chit chat and endless posts devoid of TA's in your absence?! :P

TA I have to change a pair of jeans at lunchtime. What a waste of a valuable hour doing something so dreary.

How are things? Any news?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

My really intelligent friend is being manipulated into reestablishing contact with someone she was seeing years ago. She says she's not but is still continuing to talk to him even after she says she's tried to cut contact again, ugh. TA'd that someone so smart can be taken in by someone like this chap and his bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

All good here..you???ðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

A neighbour (well, a couple) has decided to ignore me and my other half for some reason.

It's been going on a few months now and we haven't actually done anything to cause this but I suspect it's because their snooty friend, who lives across from us, has taken it upon herself to ignore us, so they're following suit.

It doesn't bother me at all but I hate looking at their stuck-up faces every time I go out.

I don't live in what's classed as an upmarket area; it's just a council estate, but these two hoity toity's really think they're living in Foxrock the way they go on, with their topiary trees in the garden and their fancy kids' names and windchimes.

I wouldn't mind but he's as common as muck and she...well, I could say things about her but I might be identifying them if I do.
    If you are reading this though, go and fk yourselves ya stuck-up swamp gouls!

I know a guy and his chat up line is "No news, no?"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

fussyonion wrote: »
    A neighbour (well, a couple) has decided to ignore me and my other half for some reason.

It's been going on a few months now and we haven't actually done anything to cause this but I suspect it's because their snooty friend, who lives across from us, has taken it upon herself to ignore us, so they're following suit.

It doesn't bother me at all but I hate looking at their stuck-up faces every time I go out.

I don't live in what's classed as an upmarket area; it's just a council estate, but these two hoity toity's really think they're living in Foxrock the way they go on, with their topiary trees in the garden and their fancy kids' names and windchimes.

I wouldn't mind but he's as common as muck and she...well, I could say things about her but I might be identifying them if I do.
    If you are reading this though, go and fk yourselves ya stuck-up swamp gouls!

In the immortal words of Dessie Curley......."Fúck the neighbours!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

OldNotWIse wrote: »

Boom Boom_Bap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Men :pac:

Colser wrote: »
    All good here..you???ðŸ˜႒

Not a bother. Tis fierce changeable weather we're having.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Crumbs in bra.

Bra Crumb Bug!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Stopped to chat to a couple of colleagues at their desks on my way to the toilet. As conversation went on, the urge to go became strong and I couldn't linger any longer. I meant to say 'I'm going to the loo' but instead I announced 'I need a poo'. Damn brain not distinguishing between what I wanted to say and what I was thinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

mud wrote: »
    Crumbs in bra.

Bra Crumb Bug!

That is a TA for men as well. Removing someone's bra to find half a digestive biscuit in there.
    A real turn off. (Apparently) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Walking into Lidl down to the fresh baked stuff to pick up my usual 2 custard pecan lattice (1 isn't enough) and there were the flies walking on them, Shocked I was, (dis-custard in fact ) I always thought it, but because they are massive, never bothered not buying them, wont now.
    Then seeing a woman opening up the loose nuts taking a handful and popping them into her mouth as walking around, crossed paths with her again and she done the same, grabbing a handful again.
    Between mauling the flipping stuff and flies on my cakes, Lidl, take note hygiene, tsk tsk!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Vel wrote: »
    Stopped to chat to a couple of colleagues at their desks on my way to the toilet. As conversation went on, the urge to go became strong and I couldn't linger any longer. I meant to say 'I'm going to the loo' but instead I announced 'I need a poo'. Damn brain not distinguishing between what I wanted to say and what I was thinking!

I usually tell them anyway! I like to do that whole stand up quickly from my desk, pretending like I have somewhere important to go and I'll ask someone who sits closely to me, "If my phone rings will you take it and tell them I'll ring back shortly......I'm just going for a shíte.....thanks!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

A feckin cupful of petrol would have finished the lawn, splutter splutter stop. Get container, drive to filling station, fill,pay, drive back, fill lawnmower, run for about a minute - finish lawn grrrrrr

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

TA'd that you think they should thank you.. When pedestrians wait at traffic lights that are red for them, do you wave as you drive by?!

It's called courtesy.
    Pedestrians waiting at traffic lights is a definitive stop/go system. There is no debat about the rules here.
    Pedestrian crossings are about whoever gets there first.

TA when you anticipate someone is going to cross, slow down to expect this and dont get as much as a nod when you clearly could have went through without issue. Proper maddening.....

Elipses. They drive me up the wall. It's a bit like the facebook updates that say "in the hospital" or "something just happened".
    They give the sense that what the person wants to say isn't finished and they are just going to leave you hanging for more.

Seriously. If you have something more to add then do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Elipses. They drive me up the wall. It's a bit like the facebook updates that say "in the hospital" or "something just happened".
    They give the sense that what the person wants to say isn't finished and they are just going to leave you hanging for more.

oh that reminds me...

Annoyed with myself that the poster previous to me used elipses and now it appears like I was having a pop at him :(

I wasn't. Sorry IrishBloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Annoyed with myself that the poster previous to me used elipses and now it appears like I was having a pop at him :(

I wasn't. Sorry IrishBloke.

IrishBloke is only about 150 pixels. I doubt it has feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

The Cliffs of Moher or rather the paddywackwey bull**** goin on there. We were in the vacinity this evening and said we would drive out, park up - pay the parking fee and walk out with the kids.
    Only you can't do that..... oh no...
    To park in the only carpark out there you have to buy a ticket for the visitor centre. So at 7pm the charge would have been €12 to go see the cliffs (€6 per adult). Chances are the kids wouldn't have even walked all the way.
    Wouldn't have minded paying €5 to park but nope, no option to park only and not get ticket for visitor centre..

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Sitting in a cafe and finding old chewing gum under chair/table. Why would someone do this?! grrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Not necessary in all cases. There are some things which might appear to be left unsaid to a casual observer and is left open to intepretation but to those in the know the elipse says it all ;):)

TA my ripe and ready nectarines from last week never ripened or readied and as predicted by another poster would just shrivel up and die in the blink of an eye. Conned by a fruit again :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement