Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New companion to be revealed on Saturday.

• 21-04-2016 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,968 ✭✭✭✭

The new Doctor Who companion will be revealed live on BBC One on Saturday night.
    The announcement will be made during half time of the FA Cup semi-final Match of the Day Live: Everton versus Manchester United at around 18:00 BST.
    The new companion will star alongside Peter Capaldi's Time Lord in the 10th new season of Doctor Who.
    They will replace Jenna Coleman, who played Clara Oswald, who left the show in 2015.
    Coleman joined Doctor Who in 2012, and starred alongside two Doctors, Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi.
    She asked to be written out and left to take on the role of Queen Victoria in a major ITV drama series.
    Filming for the next series of Doctor Who will start this year but will air in 2017.
    In January, it was announced the head writer and executive producer of Doctor Who, Steven Moffat, was stepping down from the show.
    The next series will be his last, after which he will be replaced by Broadchurch writer Chris Chibnall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36104565

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"Live", again? They really like milking these announcements. Still though, eager to see who they'll pick and really hope it'll break the mould of yet another modernday companion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭flazio

pixelburp wrote: »
    "Live", again? They really like milking these announcements. Still though, eager to see who they'll pick and really hope it'll break the mould of yet another modernday companion

I suspect this Saturday they'll just announce the actor/actress and we'll have to hear about the character later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Pearl Mackie as Bill....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just saw it there. I wasn't actually expecting it as I hadn't seen the annoucement.

Who's Pearl Mackey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

chrislad wrote: »
    Who's Pearl Mackey?

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-04-22/is-newcomer-pearl-mackie-the-next-doctor-who-companion

Apparently the character Bill (?). Unlike Clara, will know very little about the doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Shes not Jenna Coleman :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So when Bill moves on, will she be replaced by Pat? Who then gets replaced by Jon, then by Tom......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I like her. This could work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭bnt

chrislad wrote: »
    Who's Pearl Mackey?
    Mackie, not Mackey. We have video:

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

I'll take some convincing.... Hate shake cam & not really fond of what I've just seen of her

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

Shes not Jenna Coleman :(

Thank God.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A 2 minute slice isn't a wealth to go on, but she gave off very ... Donna esque vibes I thought; that slightly mouthy, sarky demeanour of someone scarcely overawed by everything going on. So if her arc is anything like ms Nobles, it could be a good one. A shame though she seems to be another contemporary companion, but again, not really info to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

So.......is 2016 back on or we still waiting for 2017

So.......is 2016 back on or we still waiting for 2017

Still coming back in 2017 I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Oh, I really like her. Even that little snippet. Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

pixelburp wrote: »
    Still coming back in 2017 I'm afraid.

I do not approve of this. Come back with a better answer.

So in an interview, Moffat confirmed that Bill is going to be another modern-day companion, which is a little disappointing. I get the logic behind it for the sake of audience relatability, but shame they didn't push the boat out a little and make her from the past / future / not-of-this-earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I am still peed off that they have skipped an entire year apart from the Christmas special.
    Any word on Torchwood returning?

galljga1 wrote: »
    I am still peed off that they have skipped an entire year apart from the Christmas special.
    Any word on Torchwood returning?

Late last year, Big Finish started a Torchwood range of audio-plays, featuring the original cast:
    https://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/released/torchwood

As for the TV show, I think it's fair to assume it's indefinitely cancelled. Cast seem up for it whenever it's mentioned, but there doesn't seem to be any serious talk from those who'd greenlight such a thing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We should have Class in September though, yeah?

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    We should have Class in September though, yeah?

I think the BBC hasn't given any more specific date beyond 'sometime in 2016', although apparently shooting was due to begin in April, so September / October seems about right...

Advertisement