Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monthly cost of 12kVa vs 16kVa

Options
  • 21-04-2016 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm building a new house on our site and will be demolishing the existing cottage when this is complete.

I assume I'll need to apply for a new connection for the new house?

There is different fixed fees for 12kVa (€1900) vs 16kVa (€2600).

Is there also a different standing charge applied on each bi-monthly bill depending on what option you go for? (12kVa or 16kVa)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi rodge123,

Thank you for getting in touch.

ESB Networks would be the folks to talk in relation to the connection as Electric Ireland are only the supplier. ESB Networks maintain the electricity network regardless of supplier. You can find their contact details here.

The standing charge would depend on a number of factors rather than just the KVA including:
    • whether the property is urban or rural
    • if the property is residential or non residential
    • the type of meter installed in the property

If you would like to see what sort of prices we have on offer for residential properties, you can take a look here.

We hope this helps. Do let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
    Aoife

________

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Hi rodge123,

Thank you for getting in touch.

ESB Networks would be the folks to talk in relation to the connection as Electric Ireland are only the supplier. ESB Networks maintain the electricity network regardless of supplier. You can find their contact details here.

The standing charge would depend on a number of factors rather than just the KVA including:
    • whether the property is urban or rural
    • if the property is residential or non residential
    • the type of meter installed in the property

[*]

If you would like to see what sort of prices we have on offer for residential properties, you can take a look here.

We hope this helps. Do let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
    Aoife

________
    [*]
    Thanks Aoife

When you say "type of meter installed", what do you mean by this?
    We are a rural and residental property.

There is a question on the form asking:
    "Do you intend to avail of a time-of-day electricity tariff from you Electricity Supplier".

Will the option I choose here affect my standing charge?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi again rodge123,

Thanks for your post.

Meter types include standard 24-hour (same unit rate at all times), day/night, pay-as-you-go and NSH (night storage heating) meter.

The question you refer to seems to be in relation to the day/night meter (also known as NightSaver or dual tariff) which comprises a higher day rate than that of the standard 24-hour meter, but a lower night rate (effective from midnight until 9am at present, and from 11pm to 8am in winter). We would recommend checking with ESB Networks to clarify in relation to this question however. ESB Networks also have a social media presence on Twitter and their telephone number for such a query is 1850 372 757 Monday to Friday (and Saturday mornings).

Once your connection is established, your electricity provider can be chosen. Our current online offer (as per Aoife's link above) of €50 bonus credit is available until 15th May.

Kind regards,
    Una

________

Advertisement