Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing rent twice in a year

Options
  • 21-04-2016 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭

Scenario: Tenant in situ almost 3 years @ €1000 p.m.; valid notification of rent increase (1st since tenancy began 3 yrs previously) given - new rent €1200 p.m.. Tenant pays increased rent for a few months. Tenant gives valid notice to move out. Tenant moves out. Property is re-let. Can it be re-let to the new tenants at a higher rent again i.e. €1400 p.m.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Scenario: Tenant in situ almost 3 years @ €1000 p.m.; valid notification of rent increase (1st since tenancy began 3 yrs previously) given - new rent €1200 p.m.. Tenant pays increased rent for a few months. Tenant gives valid notice to move out. Tenant moves out. Property is re-let. Can it be re-let to the new tenants at a higher rent again i.e. €1400 p.m.?
    YES cos the old tenants have left. Supply and demand takes over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

And one further question - apart from the need to give 90 days notice of a rent increase, is there an obligatory formula for informing the tenant (in the same way that a Notice to terminate must have names, dates, reason, go to PRTB if unhappy etc etc etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

And one further question - apart from the need to give 90 days notice of a rent increase, is there an obligatory formula for informing the tenant (in the same way that a Notice to terminate must have names, dates, reason, go to PRTB if unhappy etc etc etc)

No you dont need to tell them they can go to the PRTB. You do need to ensure that the 90 days starts on the date after the notice ie the 90 days cant include the day you handed the notice to them. Otherwise the notice will be invalid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thanks very much to you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Zauka

My story very similar. Landlord increased the rent 200 euro per month (total paid 1200 euro). Had no option just to leave the apartment. At a moment the landlord advertise same apartment for 1350 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Zauka wrote: »
    My story very similar. Landlord increased the rent 200 euro per month (total paid 1200 euro). Had no option just to leave the apartment. At a moment the landlord advertise same apartment for 1350 euro.

Doesn't seem to be any issue with this scenario. As long as landlord hadn't increased it within 2 years he is entitled to put it up to market rent which in this case is 1350 if that is what new tenants are Willing to pay.

Advertisement